Wpf 12/7 - 12/13

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
There's a 34 year old Atlas hiding under this Bachmann GP40 shell.
DSCN2737.jpg

I recently got a 37mm adaptor and some macro filters for my 2nd camera car project. Here's some comparison shots with just the stock lens and with the macro lens taken from the same position. The camera's picture mode uses a wider angle so ignore the visible lens, it doesn't show on videos. The best points of reference are the number boards on the F45 & SD24, and the windows on the California Zephyr cars.

Doggone Jeffrey, I finally found someone else who 'fesses up (in the pic) to using masking tape to keep their wires in the loco shells corralled!

I'll even 'fess up to say that I keep some 3/8" and 1/4" wide pieces stuck on a shelf edge for anytime easy access. When installed we don't even have to worry about how they look. A roll will last "forever" and I don't even bother trying to re-use tape that I remove.

As info the last 1/2" roll I bought at Wmart (as a backup a few months ago) surprised me - the stickiness was about a third of what it usually is (still works though). I guessed, and I think I'm right, that those rolls have been shelf-sitting (i.e. drying out) for a few years because the housing boom has been dead for that amount of time.

I enjoy seeing your work. Thanks for your postings.

DougC

Doggone Jeffrey, I finally found someone else who 'fesses up (in the pic) to using masking tape to keep their wires in the loco shells corralled!
No reason not to.:cool: It's not insulating anything, just keeping them in place. The connections already have clear electrical tape on them. So why waste electrical tape to keep the wires bundled when the cheap masking tape will do.:)

Jeffrey, just for you, another 40 sumpthin year young Atlas unit, with the Atlas bod!:D
Yep, Roco built Atlas GP40. It's 36 years old at the oldest. Roco rolled them out in 1976. Atlas did another roll-out of Roco built GP40's in the 1980's. I believe Con-Cor did some Roco built GP40's also from the old Atlas tooling.

On a slightly smaller scale here is a pic of my Stony Smith designed Shapeways produced Z scale bay window caboose .

chessie1.jpg

I have two of the Roco made ATLAS branded 1976 locos but mine are F-9s.They are both great runners but one needs a lube job it is very noisey.:eek:

I have two of the Roco made ATLAS branded 1976 locos but mine are F-9s.They are both great runners but one needs a lube job it is very noisey.:eek:
F9? Atlas? 70's issue? I don't see any listed for HO. I see the FP7. I have two of the FP7's myself. One is a 1975 release and the other is a 1991 release. The old one was getting pretty noisy. I thought it was the gears but turned out to be the motor. I pitched the can motor and shoehorned in an Athearn motor with Proto 2000 flywheels and shafts.

EDIT: Are yours O Scale? That's the only Atlas F9 I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you are right they are FP7s.The one is rather quiet ,and the other is rather nosey though they are both good runners.

I guess it is time for a HO layouit so I can keep track of what I have.:)

SD40-2 project.I know the couplers droop but I had not noticed till I took the pics and posted them on the Gauge.It is a easy fix just have to do it.:eek:

sd40-2-8.jpg

sd40-2-9.jpg

Back