Wpf, 11/8 - 11/14

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Wow, skipped a week? What, everybody sleeping??:rolleyes:
I must admit, I've been a bit lax myself but,

The latest creature from the erecting shop. About 2 years ago, my friend Charlie was getting up in age and decided to dispose of his collection. After purchasing a brass C&O 2-8-4 Kanawha from him, he gifted 2 locos to me. A Sakura 0-4-0 and a Mantua 2-8-2 kit.. The 0-4-0 was unfinished, but a runner and the Mike chassis was assembled , but nothing else. The 0-4-0 was completed (and appeared in MR) but sadly, Charlie passed this summer before I could complete the Mike . So here it is, just after its 1st "shakedown cruise". Mantua Mike with a Pacific boiler & steam chest, Bachman tender and a host of detail parts added. Can motor,flywheel and Tsunami round out the upgrades. Runs great! ;)
1391646_439733946137075_89172509_n.jpg

1453437_439733972803739_67010219_n.jpg

ow what do you have to show me?:rolleyes:

I saw a Bachman GE 44 ton loco in my local model shop,and thought it would make a nice addition to my loco fleet. All I,ve done so far, is paint the vertical grab rails matt yellow.
It runs very nicely, very quiet and smooth.Its a close match to the one I saw at the Strasburg Railroad, except that the tiger stripes on mine, are yellow and black,rather than white and black.

Ron

Attachments

• GE 44 ton.jpg
    GE 44 ton.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Strasburg GE44 ton.jpg
    Strasburg GE44 ton.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 175
Karl ..... Your 2-9-2 looks great. I recall you had trouble with the headlight a couple of weeks ago.
Ron ...... Your GE 44T looks outstanding.

Below are photos showing my City of Blackhawk. This town has several industries and also is the junction with my Steel Mill Branch.

FTSDBH1.jpg

SDsFS.jpg

stockyard2.jpg

PackingPlant.jpg

BlackHawkScene1.jpg

Thanx Karl, I wondered why I couldn't find the last one!
Nice work from everyone, all I can do is recycle a pic this week:
thomas.JPG

Looking at Ron's 44 tonner model, which appears as though it just rolled out of the "showroom" in comparison to the prototype pic reminded me of the little appreciated fact that perfectly flat sheetmetal is really a myth. Apart from the battering it's obviously had around the skirts, the rest of the ripples and dents are mostly as the day it was born. Sheetmetal working being my trade and in particular Stainless Steel fabrication, I can assure you there ain't no such animal as perfectly flat sheet metal, even straight from the mill.

Nice stuff everyone.

GarryCBQ always love your stuff. Inrteresting road bridge in the last photo. Your own design?

Rico ... I like the photography looking through the tree branc at your critter.
LATX ... GP 60 looks great.
Tootnkumin .... Your insights on sheet metal are interesting.
logandsawman .... I like the hillside perspective of your steam locomotive.

Gary B .... Thanks for your comment. The concrete arch bridge was acquired on Ebay a few years ago. The seller made HO bridge kits and sold them on Ebay. I recall he had one or two other styles of "concrete " bridges. It has been a few years, and I do not recall his name.

OtisCNJ ... You asked about a track plan. Funny you should ask. I started my layout about ten years ago, and I tried using some CAD software available for track plans at the time. The learning curve was too much for me, and thereafter I made sketches the good old fashioned way (T-square, triangles, etc.) . .... I can sort of describe it. The train room is long and narrow. It is 64' long and widths vary. It is in a lower level (Walk our basement) of a hillside house. It is against the foundation wall of the upside of the house, and there are several right angle changes in direction along the wall. I have numerous corners to go around. ... The general plan is a two track mainline, and it follows about 130' of walls. Minimum radius is 30" for the main line. Each end of the main lines has a reverse loop, and it is possible to run trains continuously using the loops connected to the double track main line. There are several crossovers along the way. ... There are several branch lines, and cities have extra tracks and sidings. Also, there is a long lower level branch line leading to a staging yard and another revers loop. The Steel Mill branch line includes the steel mill (of course) ..... Currently, I am building the final section of the layout in an area of 6' to 16' which has one of the reverse loops. This loop track were recently installed.

Would love to see some pics of your layout because unlike most plans where the plan determines the topography, in this case, like the real RR's it's the "terrain" that has determined where the tracks will go.

Looking at Ron's 44 tonner model, which appears as though it just rolled out of the "showroom" in comparison to the prototype pic reminded me of the little appreciated fact that perfectly flat sheetmetal is really a myth. Apart from the battering it's obviously had around the skirts, the rest of the ripples and dents are mostly as the day it was born. Sheetmetal working being my trade and in particular Stainless Steel fabrication, I can assure you there ain't no such animal as perfectly flat sheet metal, even straight from the mill.

No kidding there! I've been working with aircraft sheet metal a bit lately and that takes a lot of patience.

Garry,
Understand regarding learning CAD programs. Most are not for novices. Thanks for the description. FWIW, I did 'sketches,' or 'drawings' using a piece of paper, rulers, and templates for years. I'd still be interested in seeing a sketch, if you have one, as probably some others are.

Regards,
Otis

Garry,
Understand regarding learning CAD programs. Most are not for novices. Thanks for the description. FWIW, I did 'sketches,' or 'drawings' using a piece of paper, rulers, and templates for years. I'd still be interested in seeing a sketch, if you have one, as probably some others are.

Regards,
Otis

Hello Otis .... Thanks for your interest. Photos of my track plan sketches did not work out yet. ... Possibly I can get some overview shots of the layout to help. ... Looks like the next weekly photo fun is under way. I'll have some steel mill shots when I post there.

Back