WPF 1-31 to 2-6

Hello all! Hope everyone here in the states are warming up, and down under is cooling down! I got a few new toys...
844.jpgflag car 2.jpgflag car.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot : no, still working on the Walthers car with decals. Had to order another set from the guy who prints them. Having a bugger of a time trying to get them to lay flat where they wrap around the doors. That's a Overland brass car.

Bruette: Thanks, wife doesn't know about them. Just having a baby and all she would blow her top! But #844 was a preorder and the Overland Brass baggage car well, it was a impulse buy... :eek:

Black: Yep 844!!! Athearn too. I submitted a review. ( http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...F-3-4-8-4-w-Tsunami-Sound&p=332218#post332218 ) Click on the pic for more. Can't say I'm overly impressed but not disappointed. I'm going to try and find some pins from different models and see if I can't get this thing running and sounding a little better.

Toot : no, still working on the Walthers car with decals. Had to order another set from the guy who prints them. Having a bugger of a time trying to get them to lay flat where they wrap around the doors. That's a Overland brass car.

Your brass overland car appears to have been made in the style of the actual Heritage car in that it has the panels in the lower sections of the doors below their windows, whereas the Walthers car does not (these are now like hen's teeth) I got the last 2 off M B Kleins when they were on clearance price. Here is a close up pic of those panels

IMG_07131_zps95be1027.png

Are they in fact ramps for the public to use to access the car when it's on show somewhere or just safety barriers because there are several pics of passengers looking out over them when the train is in motion (doors open). The car seems to have had a name change too, on rrpicturesarchives.net it's referred to as "Promontory", both before and after the Flag emblem was applied and I just went to the UP Heritage site (which has changed it's front page format since last looking) and there it's called "Council Bluffs". The name itself doesn't seem to appear on the side of it though.

CBQ: Very inspiring as usual!

Your brass overland car appears to have been made in the style of the actual Heritage car in that it has the panels in the lower sections of the doors below their windows, whereas the Walthers car does not (these are now like hen's teeth) I got the last 2 off M B Kleins when they were on clearance price. Here is a close up pic of those panels

Are they in fact ramps for the public to use to access the car when it's on show somewhere or just safety barriers because there are several pics of passengers looking out over them when the train is in motion (doors open). The car seems to have had a name change too, on rrpicturesarchives.net it's referred to as "Promontory", both before and after the Flag emblem was applied and I just went to the UP Heritage site (which has changed it's front page format since last looking) and there it's called "Council Bluffs". The name itself doesn't seem to appear on the side of it though.

I believe they are barriers for use when the train is moving. My version of it from Overland only has them on one side. I going to assume that is correct for it at some point in its life. I would prefer not to know otherwise, very expensive car. :D

And we're off to a great start, let's keep 'er rolling!
Here's the start of (hopefully) my new loco shop:

shop1.JPG shop2.jpg

Gas2a.JPG
Gas2c.JPG
Gas2b.JPG

Been a while since I posted to the WPF. Latest building I completed is the Evergreen Hill Designs 1930's gas station. I added a brick foundation to raise it up slightly. I also modified the chimney pipe and built the structure on a sheet styrene base to add it to the layout at a later date.

Pond3.JPG

Paradise Pond, home of the 2 headed trout.

Another great weekend here! Some fine modeling...

I have finally found a bit of time to get back down cellar and work on finishing the Octagon Blacksmith's Shop. Still have a long way to go, but got the roof sections cut out and assembled this week.

Roof01w_zps19c5ddb3.png

Roof03w_zps06ce4c81.png

Roof04w_zpsb2f9a4d1.png

Roof05w_zps9a0dc3a8.png

I have decided to scratch build a cedar shake roof for it (1925, they should have been pretty common). One thing Have have yet to figure out is how to make a chimney for it. None of the commercial brick chimneys match the size of the one for the forge on this....

Very nice job so far!

If you've got some hydrocal pieces around, that's how I'd form the chimney. You could etch whatever type of material you want in it. You could do stone, brick or continue the finish from the walls.

Thanks, Railrunner130...

I just found the right sized chimney for it from Rusty Stumps Scale Models.... If that doesn't work I will try the hydrocal method.

The car seems to have had a name change too, on rrpicturesarchives.net it's referred to as "Promontory", both before and after the Flag emblem was applied and I just went to the UP Heritage site (which has changed it's front page format since last looking) and there it's called "Council Bluffs". The name itself doesn't seem to appear on the side of it though.

Is it possible the car was sitting in the Council Bluffs yard at the time?

A still shot of some of my new backdrop. I see I am missing a brake hose, by the way. Backdrop is now 40' long.

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

have fun !!!!!!! lasm

Is it possible the car was sitting in the Council Bluffs yard at the time?

Here's the link to the UP page showing the cars in the Heritage fleet which all carry names, click on the names and will take you to a brief description, some pictures and details of the floor plans of each. As I mentioned this page has changed since I last visited, my impression is that there are less than there was before. I think that the "Sun Valley" was under reconstruction at the time too.
http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/historical_equipment/index.htm

Got the roof attached to the Blacksmith's Shop today... It will not be black when finished, that is just the base color. Cedar shake shingles will be cut and put on for roofing. The next step will to be to cut and add the fascia boards along the edges of the roof and the "rafters" underneath.

Roof06w_zps82de5bac.png

Roof07w_zps57389072.png

Back