WPF--- 02nov-12nov

IMG_9407.png

A view along the river on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivison.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

That looks like a patched KCS unit.

Yep, checked the rosters and they verify it. Built by EMD for KCS in 1976 as KCS 672, sold to HELM in 1992 as HLCX 672, sold to CP in Dec? 1992 as 672. Renumbered to 5417 unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, it is. 5417, (ex-KCS 672) was acquired by CP Rail in 1992.

I made it like the prototype did. I took an Athearn KCS unit, removed the KCS lettering and numbers, masked the area below the cab windows and gave it a patch of primer, then added the numbers. CP Rail lettering was also applied to the body.

Here's another shot of it.

IMG_0040.png

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

You did a pretty good job on it. I sure wouldn't mind it if my own patch jobs looked as good. Usually I just patch over the road name and cab numbers but it doesn't always look as good as I would want it to.

Got a little artsy-fartsy last night and tried my hand at a night shot. I don't think it turned out too badly. Funny, the numbers on the numberboards were clearly visible through the viewfinder, but got washed out terribly in the picture. No room lights on at all, just the loco lights.
Midland305%20005.JPG

I'll keep workin on it!:D

Have done a little weathering in the past, albeit not much....I got back at it this past week....I am quite pleased the way this one turned out! Lots more too learn!

P1030623.jpg

P1030622.jpg

P1030621.jpg

P1030619.jpg

Luckily, with patch jobs, the prototype wasn't always that careful, so modellers don't need to be, either. Makes it a lot easier for a novice, like me.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

How last night started

SDC17965.jpg

Having read Octobers Railroad Modeller there is and interesting article at the back about freight yards that have roadways between every other track, so I thought that would make a nice contrast to the team track on the "other side" of the shed.

SDC17967.jpg

This next shot shows how the underside of the tile is pared away to clear the rail chairs

SDC17966.jpg

Ballast added but not glued

SDC17968.jpg

PVA / Water added along with some weeds..

SDC17972.jpg

I'm not sure about the building, its recycled from a previous On30 layout on which it looked small, it may look to big / tall here?

SDC17974.jpg

John

This looks like an exciting development for you, John. It looks very good...I think you have an eye for this sort of project. :)

Crandell

Great pictures everyone!!

Been awhile since I had anything new. I have wired my control panel and have the mainline running smoothly :) (so last few weeks I was just playing). Just getting to see them make a lap kinda kicks you into 3rd gear!
Started in April of this year and it was 6 months till it made its first lap. (Not bad between working,band,and truck shows)
I started working on the bridges, river, and creeks. I ballasted one area between a over and an underpass and took a shot with my Broadway as it was passing. (not the best camera or operater behind it)
Have a great week everyone!

^nice are you going to add water if so thats going to be one bad a** river cant wait to see more good job.

Thanks Much!, The bridge you see is a double mainline. This will be my smallest curved span arch. This will have a rapid creek n hiway below. I also have dual spans like that with pony trusses on each end which will span a larger river x-ing and there will be a larger waterway for barges.
I will be using different types as funds premit. This one I will use the WS melted beads. The others I am looking at cheaper ways such as someone here used clear caulking. I have also used a gel-compound we use at the phone company to seal buried closures which cost me $0. I used it on our clubs layout with many compliments. Adding a litte WS water effects on top.

Great work everyone!! I haven't posted in quite awhile.Here are three of my latest projects.Two RDG RS3's and a RDG 40ft'er in the Banner paint scheme.
cnj050.jpg

cnj051.jpg

cnj071.jpg

cnj073.jpg

cnj085.jpg

cnj082.jpg

cnj099.jpg

cnj098.jpg

Great pictures everyone!!

Been awhile since I had anything new. I have wired my control panel and have the mainline running smoothly :) (so last few weeks I was just playing). Just getting to see them make a lap kinda kicks you into 3rd gear!
Started in April of this year and it was 6 months till it made its first lap. (Not bad between working,band,and truck shows)
I started working on the bridges, river, and creeks. I ballasted one area between a over and an underpass and took a shot with my Broadway as it was passing. (not the best camera or operater behind it)
Have a great week everyone!

Bob!!!! I guess you've been busy working on the layout, haven't heard from you in a while. You're doing a great job on the scenery, well done on the river/bridge scene!

Thanks Michael, Yeah it's been awhile but I always manage to pop in and check my favorite thread once on awhile. You've been busy too, I've seen a couple your post,(Great Stuff!!) Talk to ya soon my friend.

Thanks Michael, Yeah it's been awhile but I always manage to pop in and check my favorite thread once on awhile. You've been busy too, I've seen a couple your post,(Great Stuff!!) Talk to ya soon my friend.

Thanks Bob, yes I have been making a lot of progress. Worked on it all summer. Right now I'm making some modifications to the moutain. Will be posting pics soon.

Back