Wow, excited railfan

I'm seeing this clip posted rather widely. Quite seriously, and most unfortunately, it is in seeing exactly these sorts of individuals out and about (or nowadays on-line) that re-enforces the impression among the general public that all railfans and model railroaders are either more than a little "strange" and laughable, or perhaps somewhat mentally unbalanced. I'd say that this guy could likely benefit from some sort of professional help if this is his honest reaction to seeing some particular train as it is not normal, no matter how unusual the train might be. Regardless, it reflects poorly on the rest of us.

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, and I thought I got somewhat excited on seeing some rarities (things we don't see often) but these two seem to take it over board, even tho the train guy is making a parody of another video done at least 6 months ago....but what ever, I enjoy the hobby and people can say what they want, I don't let it get to me...

Alittle embarrassing to admit this happened locally. The Saratoga & North Creek is about a 30 minute trip from me.

Poor guy, probably just overwhelmed that the world is much bigger and exciting than moms basement.

the post is a parody (ie; not real). see explanation at the CNN clip referenced above.

the post is a parody (ie; not real). see explanation at the CNN clip referenced above.

Yes, it is a parody, but it is an almost word for word depiction of a quite real YouTube postings which is just as sad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A

And, of course, for those in the general public who did not catch the revealing interview on CNN (i.e. probably 99%); the recent viral version will be taken as fact, too. Truly sad for those of us in the hobby that are old enough to still recall when the public viewed railfanning and model railroading as legitimate and revered adult hobby pursuits, particularly as compared to our perceived status today.

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx for straightening that out guys, still enter"training" none the less tho.
Did anyone else notice in the above video that the lights and gates were not activated when the locos crossed the road?

Apparently one of the vids was also from someone who has Autism. So we may want to be a little watchful of that....

The video was done as a publicity stunt for the SNC, the manager created the video mocking the video with the guy going apesh*t over a UP heritage unit that appeared on Tosh.0 . Every rail forum I've been on has a thread about it so far and it made it to CNN, I'm sure that will draw interest in the railroad.

Seems to me that there are all kinds of perceptions, some negative some positive and some indifferent toward our hobby. Always has been that way as far as I can remember and i'm no spring chicken either. I don't think anyone's opinion is going to be changed by this video.

I think we shouldn't feel ashamed of our hobby just because somebody posts a fanboy video that some ignorant fool somewhere might make fun of. We should be thankful that there are folks out there who aren't afraid to express the passion that we all have towards railroading. Enthusiasm is a sign of health for any human pursuit.

Back