working hopper car question?

Albie44

facades art
I have an HO gauge working hopper car. It is about 50 years old, but in perfect condition. Our model train group is making a new layout and I would like to have this hopper drop the coal from the working metal doors. Problem is that I do not have the trip mechanism that opens up the doors. I believe the car was made by Tyco-Mantua, the bottom frame is all metal and rolls beautifully on the track. Does anybody out there know where I could get the mechanism or make one. I really do not know what it looks like. My dad and I used this on our layout in the 1960's. I know it will work if I can get help with the trip mechanism that attaches to the track. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Albie44 from Barnegat, NJ

This is what you're looking for.

I may still have mine from 1980 or so, including the Virginian hopper. I'll go look, but it's probably not in great shape.

Thanks Trey, but my hopper car has metal doors on the bottom that part when passing over the trip mechanism. The hoppers you show have the whole cars tilting sideways and dumping the coal, am I right? There are two metal doors on the bottom and two hopper bays. It is a Burlington CB&Q hopper car. Albie44

ps: Sorry Trey, you were right the second image has the Hopper gate actuater in it. It says it is mounted to a 6" piece of track, that would work for us, if we can find one. You really know your railroad stuff! Thanks again, Albie44

Last edited by a moderator:
There was this style midway down the page:

TYCO_Red_Box_Coal_Unloading_Trestle.jpg

Closer?

Check with forum member straighttrack here. Joe has a collection of those Tyco operating hoppers and he may be able to provide a picture of the unloading device that opens the doors on the hoppers.

Back