Woodland scenic

Bristolman2012

Any tips for cutting this stuff ? I was using a knife that was pretty close to sharp as a razor and taking my time but it still crumbled close to the bottom . Reason I’m cutting is because of my 3 loop layout with kato unitrack , and it overhangs to far by next loop .

I just went ahead and ordered a foam cutting knife . Hobbies sure get expensive !
Yes, but think of it this way:
Hobbies (and that includes Model Railroading of course) are for enjoyment and fun; and besides that benefit, they keep one mentally active.

Question / Suggestion:
Are you aware of "MicroMark.com" - a place to find all sorts of hard-to-find tools, as well as some great things for your layout?
I remember discovering this company (family owned for 3 generations) back when I was first getting started in Model Railroading. It is great!
Just purchased a Track Layout Tool Kit from them; and my "wish list" is growing "leaps and bounds" as I view all they have! Take a look.

Put another car on incline ( plastic wheels ) and it rolled down incline going father than blue box car did . I believe that incline is ready to go . Did get foam cutting knife and it worked like a dream cutting woodland senics incline .

Put another car on incline ( plastic wheels ) and it rolled down incline going father than blue box car did . I believe that incline is ready to go . Did get foam cutting knife and it worked like a dream cutting woodland senics incline .
Awesome! Glad everything is going forward.

The foam cutter is one of those tools you wince at buying, but very handy for scenery as well.

Are you aware of "MicroMark.com" - a place to find all sorts of hard-to-find tools, as well as some great things for your layout?
I remember discovering this company (family owned for 3 generations) back when I was first getting started in Model Railroading. It is great!
Just purchased a Track Layout Tool Kit from them; and my "wish list" is growing "leaps and bounds" as I view all they have! Take a look.
Got some nice kits and tools, and postage is reasonable at $19.80 for a reefer kit, I'll keep them in mind if I can't find what I'm looking for here.

You can build a hot wire cutter very easily. All you need is any old adapter.. a 12-19v laptop adapter +2A works great. Even a 9V battery will work for the hand tool (although not for the wide wire below, you need more V and A to smoothly cut that)
Basically get a stick of wood and then make a Y on with the springiness of a bow. Then get some nichrome wire (you can buy it at most hardware stores) and then basically clip some croc clips to the bars of the Y and off yu go.

This works great for me:
20231126_224728.jpg

I can also use those clips to power other "toolings" like this board with adjustable heights by Screwing those wing nuts. This allows me to cut a surface to an exact thickness or even an incline section by setting the wingnuts to different heights.
20231126_224814.jpg
20231126_224824.jpg

You should also have some sort of spring to buffer the tension so you don't snap the wire. Here I am using a bit of old bike tyre, which works great. Some heavy duty elastic or bungie would be great too.
20231126_225525.jpg

On a final note.. of course "soldering iron rules" apply, so advise getting one of those rotary timer switches to be safe, and like with my design there is a very bright LED that lets me know it is on.
20231126_232452.jpg

PS this can also cut pretty much any thermoplastic, lego, foam etc.. some slower than others but you can adjust the heat easily by sliding a clip along the wire. For the hand tool as the wire is short i have a basic rheostat (not shown as it is on the other side), but is basically a coil of wire i can move the clip along if i need it cooler, so it doesnt smoke. Basically if it is smoking then it is too hot.. not unsafe, other than some nasty fumes, but you get a nasty "plastic hair" situation and molten plastic which can ruin a smooth cut).

Last edited:

Back