wiring help

jhaworth

View attachment 15123 What is the best way to wire this layout? I plan on using a digitrax zephyr, and would like to use atlas switches with remotes at a control panel. I have read a bunch of articles and forums but I am unclear on the best approach.

Basically just run a couple bus wires around and drop feeders every 4-6 feet or so. Make sure you insulate both rails at your return loop as well, then grab one of those auto reverse gizmos and hook'r up. ( search the threads for "reverse loop" and you'll find it)
On a side note... if you plan on future expansion some day you might want to change the direction of your reverse loop to face the other way so trains coming onto the layout can get back to the expansion.
(have I lost you yet?) :D

Unless you really need it, that cross track that starts at "50" is what's making a reverse loop. If you remove that track, you don't have to worry about the reverse loop issue.

You have one major flaw-no passing sidings. I think you'd be a lot better off configuring that reverse loop into a passing siding.

thanks guys. I will remove that reverse and add a passing siding. What do you recommend as far as switches? I kind of wanted them to be remote on a control panel but would I be better off using the digitrax for the switches also?

I wouldn't waste DCC decoder power, as well as buy stationary decoders, for switches. I'd have as many manual as possible so you throw the switch yourself, just like a real railroad. The only ones I'd have motorized would be ones I can't reach easily. You can build a control panel for those and the wiring is reasonably simple. As far as the switches themselves (meaning turnouts), Atlas Customline switches and Tortoise slow motion switch machines make a great combination.

Basically just run a couple bus wires around and drop feeders every 4-6 feet or so. Make sure you insulate both rails at your return loop as well, then grab one of those auto reverse gizmos and hook'r up. ( search the threads for "reverse loop" and you'll find it)
On a side note... if you plan on future expansion some day you might want to change the direction of your reverse loop to face the other way so trains coming onto the layout can get back to the expansion.
(have I lost you yet?) :D

My layout is almost identical to jhaworth's except no reverse loop and I have passing sidings. I will be getting ready to wire it up soon. My question is, what gage wire is best to run from the controller and around the under side of the layout? Also what gage to run from that to the track? My controller is a Digitrax Zephyr. Thanks.

Paul O.

Paul, 18 gauge for your bus wire should be plenty beefy enough. For the drops going from the bus to the track, I use 22 gauge. It's short, so it doen't need to carry a lot of current, flexible, so it's easy to work with, and can be soldered to the inside web of the rail and it won't even be noticed. I know guys with similar size layouts who have used 24 gauge as well although that's just a touch too small for me.

Back