Who Keeps the Empty Boxes for Your Rolling Stock

Original boxes combined with a spreadsheet of items will help someone someday settle the estate.
That is my plan!

I do sell a few things, duplicates & excess things acquired when buying lots.

I can see first hand from my sales that items in original boxes sell at higher prices and much faster.

The 12 locos and 85 cars I have will not fill the table I'm making, the stock will stay on the layout, the boxes will go on the shelf.

!

No one can say you are low on ambition!! I can't wait to see the layout you are making! The sheet rock finishing, is it underway?

No one can say you are low on ambition!! I can't wait to see the layout you are making! The sheet rock finishing, is it underway?

Just about thru the taping phase and the finishing phase will be soon I HOPE! From where I started there has been much change but not done yet! A more odius and time consuming phase there is not! Halfway through the second bucket of mud and PRAYING it will be enough, not because of price, because it S#KS putting the crud on! I have very little previous experience with a drywall job of this size and my desire not to screw it up TOO badly is causing it to go more slowly than I anticipated

I knew I shoulda saved out some money for professional help but I DON'T like strange people in my house and the satisfaction of doing most all of it myself will be worth it, even if it takes a little longer than I would like.

Ambitious? I guess, but when I had a major tragedy drop a comedy on my head, I had no choice! I was in a strange situation in that I was basically forced by the government to frivolously spend the insurance money from my Mom's death on ANYTHING I wanted EXCEPT what SSI thinks it already pays for like food and shelter! SO no property taxes could be paid, no new roof for the house, no car or truck other than the ONE we have, nothing of any real practical value or anything SMART could be done with the money! SO a layout is something that SSI does NOT cover or think they pay for, even if I bought it with my SSI money! They would just think I was not spending it on food and that is on me, but the insurance money? I can't buy a frikkin SLIMJIM with THAT! I have blown it ALL on trains and the lumber to build a layout, sending them the receipts as proof and they can stuff em!

Thusly, I find myself among your exalted ranks!

I chuck the boxes and use low profile plastic tubs. I label the end panel with: hoppers, tank cars, flat cars, auto racks, passenger etc.

Keep the boxes. This is one thing that not a lot of people like talking about but when it comes time to make the collection smaller the cars will hold a much better value with their boxes. It will make it easier for the family to deal with as well if something is to happen to us. Just put them in boxes and store in the attic if needed. Much better than throwing them away. I couldn't imagine throwing the burden on of me passing and having thousands of trains with no boxes for family members to deal with.

I keep all of the empty boxes packed into computer paper boxes in the train shed attic. While I don't plan to sell them, I, like others here, am cognizant of the "estate" issues that might arise one day. I have marked the boxes with the road number (old blue boxes and roundhouse), and everything is also entered in a computer program. I use "Easy Model Railroading Inventory", which allows you to enter a lot of info such as manufacturer, purchase price, item numbers and vendors.
Willie

I've been following this post since it started and it got me thinking.

I have so much model railroad stuff I have accumulated over the years, and if I were to have kept the boxes, I think I would have to rent a storage unit, a big one, to keep the boxes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had so many cars on my N scale layout I got lazy. Now I switched to HO scale and I keep the boxes so I know what I already have. Since I have a rarer time period for my layout I have a picture of all the boxes so I don't buy repeats. I still have to organize and liquidate the nscale collection.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've been following this post since it started and it got me thinking.

I have so much model railroad stuff I have accumulated over the years, and if I were to have kept the boxes, I think I would have to rent a storage unit, a big one, to keep the boxes in.
Yup, I had a 15x10 storage unit before I bought the "big house", much of that was model railroad equipment. Now I have a 20x12 space or so to store the HO, O, and N. The G scale and HO modular units gets their own 10x20 space. Fortunately neither space is packed floor to ceiling like it used to be.

So now instead of paying for storage space I can spend about 1/4 the amount on insurance, in case the train's trailer gets hit with a semi-rig or the house gets hit with a tornado or flood....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back