Where you buy your track from?

joed2323

Ive been debating where to buy my track from.? And other needed supplies for the layout.

From local hobby store or online, what would you do and why? I understand some ppl dont have the option to go to there local hobby store, so online is only way.

Ive bought a few 5 pc flex track sections about 25 bucks for 5. I thought that was expensive but then i went to hobbylinc.com which has them for 20.19, thought wow thats cheap..

But if you add the shipping cost which is 6.19 it comes to 26.38. Shipping makes up for the cheap prices.

My local hobby store is roughly 20 miles away if that helps the debate.

If it's only 20 miles away and gives good service and has a decent stock with reasonable prices, then it becomes a simple question with a simple answer. The local hobby shop. Both for what they have and what they can order for you, plus the info they could supply. Also, if you help support them, others may possibly be introduced to the hobby and that makes a winning combination for all in my book.

Order hard to get items or items that the LHS is not competitive with on-line. But, to me, going to a brick and mortar store and seeing what I'm buying before I put my money down is priceless.

If your LHS has what you need for a fair price then get it there. Sure things are cheaper online but you also need to factor in shipping cost, damaged or defective goods, etc.

I bought most of my track (All track on my layout is Bachmann NS EZ-Track) at the LHS closest to me. That's a 120 mile round trip. The rest of it I bought online from Bachmann.

NHS hobbies. 3.30 for Atlas flex and 10.99 for turnouts. LHS for when I need something right now or when it's only one or 2 of something.

I do mostly mom and pop hobby shop and a little bit online. There hobby shop is about 2 miles out of my from my trip home from work.

There prices are about 5% more than online prices but comes out cheaper once it's shipped. They will order about anything you want.

When I start a new part of a layout I try to get most of what I will need at one time. I'll email them the list and they will give me package price (about 10% off). They will let me pick up what I need off the shelf (you can not clean them out), but they place there orders Thursdays nights and receive there orders on Tuesday mid day

Yea i have the local hobby store, he doesnt carry too much, was happy i got the flextrack and the roadbed for a start, didnt see any turnouts :( he had alot of ez track and that kind of stuff, stuff that i wasnt into.

We also have a hobby town usa probably 45 min to hour away, they have a bigger selection, wish they were closer..

Does anyone shop at hobby town usa or have feedback from this national chain store.

M.B. Klein's has a good selection and a peerless reputation...price is usually best or second best after a long search. They go by modeltrainstuff.com.

I got all my track local, first set came with my stuff and the second set I picked up from my LHS as I wanted to to make sure my trains would fit the code 100 track just right...and I also wanted make sure all needed parts were there and shop for another DCC engine this time ;)

Five dollars a piece is pretty pricey . With my local hobby shop before it sailed away, I asked John if he wanted to meet a fair price, which was 3.35 a piece. I could have gotten it for less and I was getting a lot. He wanted the sale so we went that way. I tend to want to get the things I have never seen at the local store. Where else but the Big E could I realize I needed a tube full of pigs! Local Brick and Mortar is your friend.

The last time I bought track which was in 2007 it was $168.00 for a case of 100 pcs. I bought 2 cases & the shipping was $10.95 for both. Standard Hobby was the place back then for cheap prices. Well, they went out of business last year after a bunch of years in business.
The cheapest place I"ve found track in the last 6 months is Model Train Stuff. They get $299.00 for a case & the shipping now is about $16.00.
That's Atlas Code 100. I have used Model Power code 100 NS by the case & back then it was $99.00 a case. Lately I haven't been able to find MP flex.
It's just as good as Atlas(well, almost as good), but it doesn't flex as easy as Atlas. :D

I go with my LHS. His regular price is $3.35 @, but he generally discounts more when I buy 10-20 pieces; without even asking. I also believe in supporting the bricks and mortar stores where you can see and feel what you are getting.
willie

I go with my LHS. His regular price is $3.35 @, but he generally discounts more when I buy 10-20 pieces; without even asking. I also believe in supporting the bricks and mortar stores where you can see and feel what you are getting.
willie

Unless you live 60 miles from your nearest Hobby Shop & he's so independent that you never know when he's open or closed & he never gives a smidgen of a Discount to anyone, even his own brother.:mad:

That's too bad. That's the guys that give the industry a bad name. Mine's actually 25 miles away but keeps regular posted hours, is always 20% off with extra discounts for regular customers. I guess I'm lucky. Sorry for digressing from the original thread.
willie

The key to success in retail is service. If you don't have it, people simply vote with their feet.

I like to shop at wholesaletrains.com .
They have code 100 flex for :
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=150TRACK100&ID=200806687

and code 83 for:
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=150TRACK83&ID=20014766

They are about 45 mins from me, so I can go there in person {which is bad for me as I spend more than I want when there} or pay shipping....it matters not as costs can be the same.

Some complain their shipping costs are high, but they have SHipping AND handling...which is added on to the wholesale prices.

An {real and true} example is a Bachmann DCC OnBoard GP7 loco. Wholesaletrains.com has it for $53 , modeltrainstuff.com has it for $65 , and another online etailer {familyhobbyandcrafts.com} has it for $74 . WHich would you pay?

Even if wholesaletrains.com adds $15 for shipping and MB KLine {modeltrainstuff.com} adds $10, and the online etailer adds nothing...wholesaletrains.com comes in at $68, modeltrainstuff.com comes in at $75, and the online etailer at $74.
wholesaletrains.com STILL comes in the cheapest...even with the highest shipping {and handling}!

SO there is some food for thought.
:)

Back