What's up with Model Train Stuff dot com?

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
I've called and left messages many times with no response.

Just the same "one caller is ahead of you" message (over and over), and then, "please leave a message". But alas, no returned call. :(

Are they a ghost dot com? Anyone buy from them recently?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are M. B. Klein's, one of the top three or four on the www. They get very enthusiastic ratings when people ask for reputable on-line train hobby dealers.

I can't explain your experience. I have purchased from them in the past 15 months. No complaints.

Maybe send them an email explaining that you need to talk to someone.

-Crandell

I've called and left messages many times with no response.

Just the same "one caller is ahead of you" message (over and over), and then, "please leave a message". But alas, no returned call. :(

Are they a ghost dot com? Anyone buy from them recently?

I have and love their service... but have only dealt with them over the internet.

Greg

I just received a $500 order from them yesterday inside four days and I'm in Australia. :D I will definitely use them again.

I order from them regularly, and have no complaints with their web site or their service. Delivery normally runs within 3-5 days of my order, dependling largely on the day ordered (UPS Ground). As with anything else, once in a great while, there will be a screw-up or misunderstanding, but that is rare. I have an order pending, which I expect will be delivered monday or tuesday.

BTW: This is Preakness Week in Charm City; and the hoopla sometimes overwhelms normal business transactions. (FWIW).

I have heard this same message before myself and it only happens when they are closed. Remember you are on the West Coast and these guys are on the East and run in EST (Eastern Standard Time).

They should really just make the message say something like "You have reached us after normal business hours, please call back tomorrow".

I was under the same impression as you when I heard this message. I almost use these guys exclusively now for all my purchases, except for the odd small thing from my LHS. Everything arrives in a timely manner with tracking and is packed perfectly every time. And the pricing could not be better compared to my LHS.:D

I've known Ted Klein (and worked for him at the shop) for 43 years. The last time I tried to get through I got the same thing. I think the problem lies in the large amount of walk-ins they get at the shop (which has moved from downtown Baltimore to Hunt Valley). It's possible that they have gotten overwhelmed with business and can't answer the phone like they used to be able to do.

John Glaab, the owner of Peach Creek Shops in Laurel is a great guy as well.

More Eastern hobby shops with good service:

Mitchell's in Wilmington, Delaware

Tommy Gilbert's in Gettysburg, PA

Mainline Hobby Supply in Blue Ridge Summit, PA

Fairchance Pharmacy in Fairchance, PA (don't be fooled by the word pharmacy in their name...trust me, it's also a great hobby shop)

These are the ones which I dealt with all the time when I lived in Baltimore and Pittsburgh. They are brick and mortar shops.

For online purchases, I like Wiseman's in Paris KY, and CR&S Trains in CT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back