What's is the Size of Your Layout?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Members:

This maybe an old subject, but I'm interested in finding out what is the size of your layout and other details that you would like to share. Is the layout point to point, where is the layout located and how long have you been working on your present layout?

Thanks.

Greg

My layout started off in a room that was 17'x13'. The land baron (my wife) let me tear down a wall and add another 9'x13'.

The D&J Railroad is gigantic, filling a 2000 square foot basement. 4 years in the making now. Circuitous. 6.5 scale miles of double track mainline. 8 industries so far. Minimum 48" radius curves. Digitrax powered with interlocking signal system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Greg, mine is 14 x 16 and there is a loop also some point to point ops

layout.png

I am going through and adding scenery and also making improvements on the landscaping. It is DC and there are 6 blocks, although I will probably be splitting a couple of them. There are both manual and remote turnouts.

My layout takes up 22'x46' of the basement. I have two levels for half of it, with staging, industries, and a classification yard on the lower level, and staging and industries on the upper level. Connecting the two is a large peninsula and two towns. I started the layout at the end of January 2014; the mainline was completed in September of that year. I have now been able to start focusing on scenery and operational potential.

The whole layout was designed in AutoCAD, but I deviated some from the original plans for aesthetic reasons. The layout can be run as either a point to point or with two reverse loops.

0' x 0'!!! Got stuck in planning for the past 5 years and walked away from the hobby for a few years because of it. Now I'm back at it! Trying to decide between n scale and ho scale. And will plan from there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My layout started on August 1st 2014. It's composed of 4 phases:
Phase 1 - 12' x 14' which is what I'm working on now
Phase 2 - 12' x 20' which I want to start in September 2015
Phase 3 - 12' x 22' which will be available when the wife retires (3-4 years)
Phase 4 - 10' x 6' probably in 4-5 years when I run out of room, that will be the last available space in the basement

For now phase 1 is end to end until phase 2 is done then it will all connect.

It's Canadian Pacific in late 60's early 70's and is located in my basement....LOL (no specific location)
The layout will have all 4 seasons

My space is 24' by nearly 30', however, I am probably going around the walls and will use 24' by 22'-24'. I keep flip flopping between two ideas, and a forum member even helped out a ton with one of them. This is in a basement. Been working on the layout idea for about eight months. Not modeling a particular railroad, but it will cover a huge time era, like 1960s to now.

17x23'. 3 levels, 2 staging yards. Started about 10 years ago. Approximately 90% is handlaid track, although what's going to be hidden or staging is all commercial products for ease of maintenance. Using the staging yards as part of the routing its point to loop. Not using the staging yards its point to point.

Unless something happens, like we have to move, (not likely), this will be my last layout.

Working on mine since January 2015. 4x7.6 ft.
Choose the dimensions to fit in the basement corner but it may remain where it is.
image.jpg

Big pit in center is a large lake. Lots of work to do yet

n gauge

mine is still in the planning i have a 10 x 12 free standing store room to do it in i have all the rolling stock i want i need a locomotive, track and some way to make it all go getting back into the hobby after 40 years of being way

18'-9" X 22'-4"
prototype union pacific (turbines)
year 1957
double track main lines 30" minimum radii
folded dog bone. no duck under.
been working on the layout for about 8 months. Had to finish basement first.
Steve

I'm interested in finding out what is the size of your layout and other details that you would like to share. Is the layout point to point, where is the layout located and how long have you been working on your present layout?
Layout! We are supposed to have a layout. oh no, I've been doing it wrong... :-0

Seriously.... I have the modulars. These started with the children's Youth in Model Railroading modulars in 1997. They each have 1 2x4 section for a total of 5. All are "finished". I have the loop ends 4'x6.5' (bare foam with track) and corners. One corner is 4'x6' also bare foam with track, the other corner is 6'x12' partially finished. They can be arranged in many straight, L, or U configurations depending on which units are used and the need. All are in the locker room storage area.

I have my son's original 4x8. It was striped to bare wood and track when it was moved to the big house in 1012. It is in storage at the big house.
I have a "professionally" built (by one of those companies that advertises in Model Railroader - Yeesh what a mess)" 9'x15' that I saved from being trashed. It is fully finished. It is currently located in the main gym. I set it up for a show in 2012 and it just ended up staying there. I've took the structures off to keep them safe from stray volley balls.
I have an interesting N-scale 8' donut shape layout. Also saved from being razed last year. Its currently location is just sitting on the stage. It has the plaster scenery done and some painting. Needs the painting finished and then the vegetation and structures added. I have no idea where to put it. Its size is a problem. It won't even go nicely through 3' double doors (6' total).
I have my father's hospital room 2'x3' layout. It is set up in the guest bedroom at the little house. I use it to test N-scale DCC stuff. It has foam scenery that has not been fully painted. He passed before we could finish.
Then I have several parts and pieces of layouts others have torn down in the past few years. Each time they get moved something else is damaged or ruined. These live in storage.

My last "real" layout was started in 1983 for the first Great American Train Show in St. Louis. It ended up sitting outside in the yard under a tarp so I razed it in 2001? My previous layout was started in 1973, was greatly modified twice and also razed in 2001 due to lack of space.

The club's layout was small for a club 36"x24". We started it in 1984. It was nearly finished and located in the basement of the Denver Union Station. It was razed two years ago due to the stations remodeling.

In 2006 I began planning a 84'x110' layout. Even purchase the building (big house) for it in 2009. Then I started working with the Greeley Freight Station Museum (a layout of similar size) I realized even if I got it built I would be spending all my time maintaining it. So I am re-thinking "the plan".

Mine is 32" x 48" in N-scale. The track plan is reminiscent of John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid but is adjusted to allow somewhat broader curves. Even so, I run only 4-axle diesels and mainly 40-foot freight cars.

The layout is about 60% scenicked since the photo below was made.

- Jeff

track_laid1.jpg

My last one was about 9' x 5'. The new one is going to fit in an 11' x 11' room, around the walls with perhaps 2 4x4 ends. It's not fully designed yet.

My around-the-walls layout fills a 25'-by-25' two-car garage, minus the aisles and stairway. E-shaped, no duckunders (except for occasional maintenance work).

My current layout was started in 2008 and designed to fit into half of our second living room in a previous residence. It is 14x9, built into 2x6 or so sections that were built with being able to move in mind. That layout was somewhat finished prior to moving two years ago. It now lives in a bedroom in the basement. I'm reconfiguring half of the layout where the city of Mankato sits since I was never really happy with the building and track arrangement. I also get to rebuild quite a few of the buildings since they got pretty banged up in the move! I had considered starting over when I moved but I just can't justify the expense or use of time since I'm remodeling my entire house one piece at a time. There are just enough projects for me to work on whenever the spirit moves me!:D

Here is a picture from years ago showing the sectional layout in it's infancy.
newlayout001.jpg

Mine is located in my 9x11 spare bedroom. The main scenic section is 5x6. I currently have a staging yard to loop setup and I am trying to reengineer the staging into a second reversing loop. I miss having a continuous run option. My layout is designed to have several types of operation on one layout. I have a branch with sharp curves and steep grades that will wrap around one side of the room. I also have a trolley line. A relatively simple layout can provide hours of entertainment if you know how to operate it.

My layout started life as a simple 4'x8' (HO Scale). Then I added a little 3.5'x3.5' extension to make an "L." Then I cut a hole into the next room. :rolleyes: The layout is in the basement. The previous owners of the house built a bar in the basement. The plan now is to run a double main line all around the walls of the bar coming to a turn around that, and this is the really cool part of the vision, will all be under a glass top table so you can sit at the table and eat, drink, just hang out and watch the trains run by under the glass.
I've got a pool table and a dart board (both were gifts) that I have to work around, so it's got to hang pretty close to the walls, but it will still be cool, I think.

My wife chose the name for the bar: The Whistle Stop. :D

Back