What turf colors to start with

oxfordlawn

Still learning
Ive been searching and reading but I have a small leftover question. I am building a railroad themed diorama presently, but am collecting materials to down the road get a full layout started, so im willing to buy larger than needed quantities right now. so my question.....
I need to get turfing materials and have seen that layering coarse and fine in different colors seems to be the preferred method. Which colors would be a good base point to start with as I want to purchase several of the larger jugs of turf grass, a little for this diorama, a lot for later on a layout. SO if you were to buy/order 4 of the larger jugs of lets say woodland scenics turf..what colors and textures would you start with??? thanks again to everyone:D

The ones I used the most of are:

Fine Turf Earth

Blended Turf Earth Blend

Coarse Turf Light Green (great for tree flocking as well)

Coarse Turf Medium Green (also used for trees)

I have other colors and textures, but these are the ones I used the most of. The combination of colors and textures makes for decent variation.

I agree with the color choices, but I didn't see what scale you were using. I'd go with finer textures for smaller scales.

I agree with the color choices, but I didn't see what scale you were using. I'd go with finer textures for smaller scales.
woops sorry--HO scale

And thanks for the info--thats exactly what I was needing to know, now I can get some stuff on order

are there any site sponsors or preferred vendors which members like to use...im ready to order and just thought id support a business that supports the forums

I did mine this way: added dirt colored brown latex to Sculptamold papier mache to establish a base. followed that with 2 slightly different greens sprayed in random patterns. Leave plenty of brown 'dirt' showing! That gives you a greenish grass color without the expense of foam, plus it adds another shade of green to the area. then in close-up areas, various blends of Woodlands scenics grass and ground foams over the sprayed and non-sprayed areas. I always blend the foam colors before I place them so that things aren't too uniform. Uniform colors are a killer for me.

are there any site sponsors or preferred vendors which members like to use...im ready to order and just thought id support a business that supports the forums

M.B. Klein is one of the best hobby shops. Their online store is modeltrainstuff.com I believe. I buy everything from either them, Walthers, or Ebay.

Back