What switch size and brand should I select?

Hello there,

I'm pretty sure this topic has popped up before, but here goes:

I want to get new switches for my layout, as of now the plan was to get #6 switches.

However, since I plan to get an Athearn SD40E (due next year) for my layout, I'm now wondering if I should go ahead think a little ahead and get #8 switches instead. Is this a good idea? Or sticking with #6 is good enough?

Also, which brand should I go with? Atlas or Peco?

And if it is Peco, should I go with insulfrog or electrofrog?

BTW my layout is code 83.

Opinions are welcomed,

Thanks in advance,

DE

The #6's should be just fine for any large modern equipment.

I prefer Peco switches, they are very reliable. And have springs in them, so you don't even need a switch stand if operating them manually. I use the Peco switch machines, controlled by my DCC system remotely.

Go with Insulfrog so you don't have to worry about cutting gaps in the rails.

Don't forget about Micro-Engineering track. They make beautiful, near-scale RTR track, and make DCC-ready switches.

I vote for Peco Streamline Code 83 Insulfrog #6. They are reliable and look quite good. I made several #8 turnouts which I like very much, especially for use on the main.

I would have to vote for Peco too. Out of all the turnouts in my challenging environment, the Peco's I have, have given me the least amount of trouble.

Did I hear it said that switch stands aren't needed with Peco turnouts? So...basically...I wouldnt need to buy the Caboose Industries Groundthrows? Or is that not right?

Did I hear it said that switch stands aren't needed with Peco turnouts? So...basically...I wouldnt need to buy the Caboose Industries Groundthrows? Or is that not right?

Yes that is correct. The Peco switches have a spring, that keeps the rail points tight up against rail head. All you need is your finger to flip it back and forth.

Another vote for Peco. With the exception of 3-4 curved Walthers, every other switch on my layout is a Peco 83. #6s on the main, #5s in the yard. None of my 6-axle diesels (ranging in size from SD40-2 to SD90, and from a variety of different manufacturers) have had any issues negotiating either.

If the curved Pecos fit in the required spots on my layout as well as Walthers, I'd have used them there also, as I find they work more reliably and have required zero tuning out of the box, unlike the Walthers ones.

Another vote for Peco. With the exception of 3-4 curved Walthers, every other switch on my layout is a Peco 83. #6s on the main, #5s in the yard. None of my 6-axle diesels (ranging in size from SD40-2 to SD90, and from a variety of different manufacturers) have had any issues negotiating either.

If the curved Pecos fit in the required spots on my layout as well as Walthers, I'd have used them there also, as I find they work more reliably and have required zero tuning out of the box, unlike the Walthers ones.
+1, except I use all Code 100. But then I have some brass track I use here and there on sidings...that is about 55+ years old!

And...don't forget about wheel sizes. I have code 100 all over so it's not an issue from what I have read. I run all diesels too so again, more modern (post WWII) stuff. If you plan on running older era loco's or cars, read up on what code is needed. From what I have read, if you use code 100 you should be all right. The more experienced guys on here may have better input or correct me if I am wrong.

After a lot of careful consideration, I think I will be using Peco's turnouts...sure they are a bit pricey, but for the performance and ability to skip the process of installing groundthrows I think they are worth it. Do they stay close to the rails in both positions?

Hey ledzeppelinfan1...

"I don't know but I been told, a Peco turnout GOT all the soul"

lol...sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, I've played guitar for 25 years and Jimmy Page is by far and away my biggest influence...and...well...I guess he's kinda my hero too.

Awesome! Another guitar nut! I went to school with Darrell Abbott :).

I have a Peavey HP Signature and a Lag Accustic/Electric. For ampage, I got a Marshall/Epiphone half-stack (Valve Junior too but don't use it much). Crybaby pedal and a few others too but use the CB most.

Great to know another guitar guy is into trains as well. Good to know ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, model railroaders can be cool too!!! Honestly, I get more joy out of working on my layout and running trains than any of my other interests.

One thing about the Peco's that no one has mentioned. Peco makes 2 different types of turnouts, one is geared to European practices, of having no spike heads visible, but what are called chairs, and bolts holding the rail in place. These turnouts also don't match N. American practices much esp in turnout size. These turnouts are called small, med, and large radius turnouts. The other types is strictly N. American practice, modeled spike heads, tie plates and are numbered, #4, #6, #8 etc.

I know the European types come in Blue labeled boxes, but I'm not sure if the N. A. types turnouts are in another color or not.

Back