What screw?

AllenB

I'm restoring a bunch of old plastic roundhouse ore cars, the ones with the metal bottoms. It seems that once you remove the truck screw, the hole is bigger than when it started requiring a bigger screw. I'm trying to order a bulk pack. It's impossible to tell what I need by looking at a picture. Is there a gauge or size that might be helpful? Anyone run into this?

I know that happens alot. Sometimes I'll add a little super glue into the hole. Then use the original screw. Seems to hold ok.

I'm restoring a bunch of old plastic roundhouse ore cars, the ones with the metal bottoms. It seems that once you remove the truck screw, the hole is bigger than when it started requiring a bigger screw. I'm trying to order a bulk pack. It's impossible to tell what I need by looking at a picture. Is there a gauge or size that might be helpful? Anyone run into this?
Yes, that was a perpetual problem with the zmate <sp?> metal frames. This was most often caused by people screwing the screw in too tight the first time, and basically stripping it. As Motley says a spec of glue works some times.

A more drastic solution is to drill it out for a 2/56 screw with a nut inside the car. As I recall one must also use a washer as the 2/56 heads aren't usually large enough to hold the trucks on.

Forum:

Try a bit of aluminum foil wrapped around the small screw, the foil may just provide enought holding power to restore the hole threads.

I have on my work bench a medium size, 12 compartment plastic organizer that I use to hold spare wheel sets, couplers and springs and an assortment of small screws. When ever I go to a hobby shop I purchase odd sizes of small screws for use as a spare parts stock and it includes many of the common sizes for attaching couplers.

I have purchased odd assortments of rolling stock at meets and hobby shops for the bargain price of about an dollar each and use the car bodies for weathering practice. I remove the coupler and wheel set screw(s) and add them to my share parts stock.

Greg

Back