What do you think?

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hi guys,

So i have been buying a few buildings from the Cornerstone Series for a guy that im doing some custom work for. So far, i have the Champion Packing Plant, the Prairie Star Milling Building and the Prairie Star Grain Elevator, and a large double track bridge that spans 36" on my plate from him lol.

I got the 3 buildings yesterday from the LHS and started on the Champion Packing Plant first, and i just finished it about an hour ago, estimated time spent assembling, painting, detailing, and weathering was about 12.5 hours. Here are some pics of the packing plant, tell me what you guys think of it?

SL373020.png

SL373021.png

SL373022.png

SL373023.png

SL373024.png

SL373025.png

SL373026.png

SL373027.png

SL373028.png

SL373029.png

SL373030.png

SL373031.png

Looks great, Josh. Lots of good work and eyes there. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to add more generalized weathering to the sloped roof to which you have added the six dark parallel streaks. The streaks seem to me to be too stark all by themselves. Temper them a bit with some staining all around them.

-Crandell

Another suggestion would be to use some putty on the joints to get rid of the seams. Other than that, looking pretty good.

WOW nice work, love the colors and weathering. I only see one suggestion, on your ramps leading up to the building. It looks like your streaks run off angle a bit. If this was weathered before it was put together you would have streaked it top to bottom (as I probably would have) and then once it was assembled and the angle tilted for the slope its off a tad. The streaks would have followed gravity straight to the ground, not as the ribs (if tin structure) run. But otherwise it perfect in my book!!

Josh, you do pretty good work, and I am simply amazed at the speed. All of this in 12-1/2 hours? Whew!

Guys, thank you all for the compliments and suggestions for the putty and the touch up on the weathering!! I really appreciate the feedback :D

The guy i did this for loved it when i showed him the pics :D Ill have to get another pic up of the logos installed on the building too... Decalled for Champion Packing Co.

About those seams, i agree, i missed those on the water tower, and im embarrassed by them after closer inspection LOL. Those are the only ones that i can see that really stand out though. The other "seams" are just where the buildings join, which all of them are separate and are just butted up against each other for the picture and the suggested layout of the structures.

I used the original molded plastic color that the kit came in, it was actually a decent red brick color, so i kept it and applied the tan/sand color paint to the mortar joints. I would like to know what a good color would be to paint brick structures too though, i usually end up resorting to gray cinder block color even tho its a brick color lol.

Josh, the signage looks great. As far as brick color, it can be anything from Caboose Red to Depot Buff, depending on the era and part of the country. You're at a disadvantage being in California, where there are few brick buildings to use for inspiration. Take a look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=142692 for pictures of many American cities from the 40's and 50's, when brick was still common. You'll see many different brick colors and lots of weathering to use as examples for your structures.

Back