What do you do for a living?

Im a freshman in High School, and with the exception of sports my only occupation is some volunteer/help work at the Fire Dept during the summer, i plan to work for the golf course this summer. For an actual job to support a family though i want to do something in law enforcemnt such as an environmental conservation officer, and volunteer exterior Fire Fighter.

I spent 2 years working For WORLD WOODS GOLF CLUB here in hernando county Florida.........I loved every minute of it! The only problem I had with it was the pay stunk! I ran some of the largest mowers out there!.........

I am a machinist/ full time student. Have been applying at Union Pacific for quite awhile now hoping someday I can get an entry level mechanical and/or electrical job. Came close once but didn't work out :(

I went back thru this Topic this morning & there's over half of the people we never see on the Forum anymore.
I'm still retired this time.:D

Didn't realize we had this thread until today.

I'm full time employed by the Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration as a software analysis and developer. I write technical specifications for the software, test the software and write user's manuals for it.

I'm also retired from the Air Force where I was an "attack" pilot and munitions planner for the Middle East theater.

As a hobby, I work at the Oklahoma Railway Museum on weekends fixing cars and locomotives, mowing grass, whatever.
I also like fast cars.

Retired USAF 1990, forced retirement Architech 2009. When Social Security kicks in I will again retire to Williams, AZ and play golf and build a new layout.

Presently working for Canadian Pacific as a train conductor, and I have also built up and run my own trucking business...

Before that I helped design and built pipeline inspection 'computers' (aka smart pigs). Imagine a computer that swims in say, benzene or gasoline or polypropylene... for 400 miles, collecting data all along the way on the condition of the insides of the pipe. Tough to do...

I use smart pigs for a living. I am Field Engineer for a inspection and engineering company. I am hoping to get into the design group after being in the field for a while.

I've been a member of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for the last 21 years. Worked as a welder on most jobs. We primarily work in chemical plants, steel mills, coal fired and nuclear power plants. I'm currently working the on the refuel floor at a nuke. We disassemble the reactor for unloading/loading of the fuel bundles then put it back together again. Extremely varied and interesting job. The IBB, building America since 1880!

I work in IT Managed Services - Director of Customer Support Services. I manage a couple of IT Help Desks and a NOC.

I couldn't remember if I'd posted here or not, so I went back through the posts. I did indeed post in December of 2009 -- but there's been changes since then...

After 27-1/2 years as a computer graphics operator for the Indianapolis CBS affiliate, I took "early retirement" in January, 2010. In theory, I did have a choice... but I could see the writing on the wall, and figured I should retire while they were still offering some compensation.

I still do that same job for the NFL's Indianapolis Colts -- 16 years for their pre-season telecasts, 9 years for the stadium TV crew on game days. And I occasionally work the same job as part-time freelancer. I have worked about any sport you can imagine, but specialize in football and basketball. It may sound glamorous, but it isn't... way too many "supervisors" who think the best way to get results is to hit the door screaming and cursing, and they get worse as the day goes on. Not doing too much freelancing any more, as (like most other businesses) those jobs are being cut back as well. The guys and gals who have done nothing but freelance for their entire careers are still working, but those of us who are "weekenders" are pretty much out of luck. Part of me doesn't mind, because I'm pretty well done with the screamers and cursers! I still enjoy working for the Colts; I've been lucky in that the folks I work with there are pretty good people.

Now, I'm doing a few little odd-jobs here and there... and having to dip into the retirement savings to make ends meet (and still do a little acquiring of items for my railroading).

It ain't the best... and somedays, it just plain stinks. But I'm hoping for better days ahead -- sure do wish they'd get here soon!!

Regards to all,
Tom Stockton

I've been a member of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for the last 21 years. Worked as a welder on most jobs. We primarily work in chemical plants, steel mills, coal fired and nuclear power plants. I'm currently working the on the refuel floor at a nuke. We disassemble the reactor for unloading/loading of the fuel bundles then put it back together again. Extremely varied and interesting job. The IBB, building America since 1880!

I am also a member of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers. Lodge 359 B.C., Canada for 24 years.
I am a Rigger-Fitter :eek: working mostly in Pulp Mills but also in ship yards and gas plants.

Back