What do I do with this spot?

taholmes

Hi Folks:

Ive got this big chunk of real estate left in my layout plan, and I am not real sure what should go in there --

Its a modern day layout depicting a very busy bridge line between the BNSF and UP across LaVeta pass (VERY Freelanced) (and in somewhat of an alternate universe)

The interchange arrival / departure yards work as fiddle / staging yards -- there will be some pass through traffic, passenger traffic (think little to no commercial aviation after 9/11) commuter traffic and tourist line traffic

THe red and green lines around the right edge of the layout are slightly elevated (My first attempt at elevation change) to represent the line over LaVeta -- im not opposed to using the red one as some sort of staging / holding etc

The area in question is the spot below the green yard tracks in the lower left of the pic -- please note that area has a long reach into it, so probably not some thing that will need huge amounts of uncoupling -- I can put in uncoupler magnets but...

the other place I need a suggestion is the light blue siding on the very left end -- small industry of some kind

Also really want to hear any other suggestions
SLRG7_11.jpg
SLRG7_11.jpg

A view block/hill (mountain) would probably go well in that spot. You can contour it so you can place houses or a farm on it. You didn't say what scale you are using, but if it's HO scale, you can force perspective by using a row of HO houses at the front, and N scale the next row, then Z scale at the back.
As for what industry for that corner siding, what industries are in the area you're modeling? Possibly a mine or even an aggregate dealer would work there.

I’m with Terry on elevating the area and having houses or a farm. If you’re a trucking fan there’s room to display some at a truck stop which could also include a nice overpass.
As for the mystery blue track just leave it as is and spot whatever cars you want on it.
I've seen many stub tracks that had industries at one time and are now used for producer cars, team tracks, or just setting off bad order or unused cars!

Back