what are the chances......??

Anyone out there with any idea what the chances are (if any) that a company will take a customers' request to heart and produce a model ? I wrote Athearn today (via Horizon) and enquired about them painting the already-produced HO FP 7 loco in a particular road. Obviously new tooling & production is NOT needed, as they already offer this EMD loco in many roads. I am just asking they PAINT this loco in specific colors.......am I wasting my time, and why would a co. NOT do this, if its just a matter of painting the (already produced) shell ???

They can and do. i have some Athearn passenger cars custom painted for a Union Pacific safety program.
There are minimum quantities and pricing that may break your budget, however.

chances

I'm not talking about a personal paint job....I'm simply suggesting (asking ?) they apply CPR's "maroon and grey" color scheme to their FP 7 locomotive in HO. I'm certain it would be a good seller, and am willing to buy a few at the $379.00 price tag (A & B units together). Do companies not take suggestions from loyal customers ?? And most (if not all) of Athearns' Genesis line F's DO sell out fast !!!

If it's a popular road you may have a chance!
I'm sure they've had more requests for that one so it just could happen.

I would rather bet on being struck by lightning on Leap Year Day. Custom painting is the way to go. Jim

painting a unit

Any suggestions as to custom painters ?? And why the negative comments re: the chances of Athearn doing it ?? This was a VERY popular color scheme that was in use 1952 until 1968 all across Canada. Other companies (even Athearn in their R-T-R line) have these [CPR] road colors ! Soi why the heck not in their premium "Genesis" line ??? I aint asking for the moon....or am I ? Some Chinese sweat shop awaits to do this somewhere, no ???

I haven't been following Athearn's releases, do they actually make an FP7?

Rapido Trains does, or will be soon in all colors, might be a whole lot easier to buy one of theirs.

athearn fp's

yes, athearn, in their genesis line, offers the fp 7 in:

-SP, UP, SOO, C&O, PENN, Cotton Belt, MILW, PRR, WP, and RDG

So I'm thinkin'......why not the CPR in their classic tuscan & grey??

At best, new2nscale, seeing such a request come to pass would be a very slow process. Athearn has had its painting masks cut for all the current production models and will likely not order any new ones made before a second run of FP7, if there ever is one. At the same time, they are likely keeping track of what requests are coming in from buyers and your choice of a CPR scheme will be only one of many different ones requested. If enough requests come in, then maybe, but anticipate waiting a couple to perhaps many years for the particular model you want to come about.

NYW&B

I know.....

NY......as much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. There is most likely a bunch of other projects in the pipeline that will be adressed first. And if things turn bad again economy-wise, who knows what will be curtailed, maybe for good ???? I know that whenever I go and either model something myself, OR pay someone to do what I'm after, invariably SOME manufacturer comes out with the same damn thing a year or two later.....if only I had a crystal ball !! The HO C-liners by Proto were a great example. and although not perfect, their CPR renditions were damn good enough for me (I bought 7). I guess its a waiting game, and a bit of a gamble, like so much in life !!! thanx for your input...

New2nscale, let me add a further thought regarding your comment on the "probability" that if you have the desired model custom painted, or do it yourself, you too often find that some manufacturer will produce it sometime thereafter. I've had that experience several times myself. But consider this, even if the model is eventually offered commercial somewhere down the road if you've had a custom one done for you there will have been the pleasure of operating your unique model for many months, or even years before that comes to pass. Waiting for someone else to produce commercial versions of what you really want NOW only results in you becoming old and grey waiting before it's likely to appear and all the fun you might have potentially had with such a model has been lost. Money spent on a unique custom piece you really want is always money well spent.

NYW&B

Back