Weekly Photo Fun 5-20/5-26

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
One of the local train nuts found L&A 240 (GP38-2) idling beside Ezra's place while the operator is picking up a to-go pizza order.

DSCN0696.jpg

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0692.jpg

P1011637.jpg

DSCN0700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing got done on the SLOW for the last 2 weeks as I have been up to my armpits in alligators with other pressing issues. One of those was Opening Day for the New York Museum of Transportation and the Rochester and Genesee Valley RR Museum in Rush, NY. It was a cold, dark, rainy, miserable day, but the local PBS Channel showed with some Dinosaurs.... We ended up being literally swamped with visitors. The NYMT had over 1,250 people buy tickets (and possibly as many as 500 more who decided not to wait out in the pouring rain to get inside). Running a overfilled Trolley from the NYMT to Midway where they switched to one of our Empire State Express coaches (From 1941) pulled by our Queen of the fleet, LV RS3 #211. A short video showing just how rotten the day was but how nice the accommodations were can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgseNZHcfA

Oh.. BTW, at 1:37 you can even see me in my red very leaky jacket standing by the old Baggage Car...

Enjoy!

Trackwork goes on at Fred's Locomotive Shop, Cascades Division.

IMAG0291.jpg

Look at what I bought at the Tacoma Northwestern Trainshow. The 3 BN C30-7's were $100, the Amtrak train was $50, the 3 European commuter trains were $30, the Roco equipment was $20, the BN/GN SD-9's were $40. The big Faller hanger was $35. The Fiance was a little concerned about how much I spent, but then I told her what it was all worth MSRP... then she was a lot happier!

One of the local train nuts found L&A 240 (GP38-2) idling beside Ezra's place while the operator is picking up a to-go pizza order.

DSCN0696.jpg

Nothing says real Italian like a pre packaged microwave pizza from the local Exxon station. :D

Nice shots Jeffrey. I hope you are high and dry and away from the flooding down there.

There's only one thing different in these photos and it doesn't take a sharp eye to find it. Once you see it you'll wonder how you never noticed it before.

DSCN0743.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg

DSCN0745.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

You got it. The sign was made to be lit so it has wires that go down through the pole. I just thought instead of lighting it I can attach those wires to a low rpm motor. I used a clock movement with a second hand. Attached the wires to the second hand shaft and viola. It's a somewhat jerky rotation but hey, it turns.

I painted my backdrop recently. Though not perfect, it certainly makes this section of the layout look better. I still have to figure out what else to add as far as low relief buildings and pictures. I think I need one more layer before the bluffs show behind the buildings. This was by far the cheapest option for a backdrop, $6 worth of craft paint!:D I also like the fact that I painted it instead of just buying it. I do that enough already.

A snapshot of part of Mankato.

Backdrop007.png

The mill is starting to look like part of the whole instead of just a model sitting in the corner.

Backdrop010.jpg

Hi, grande man. Thanks for your generous compliment. :eek:

Yes, this would have been at least six or seven images stacked using CombineZM or the newer ZP. The first two images in the series would have been using macro mode, and then in normal to take in the range from about 15" on outward to the farthest views, which were close to 6 feet distant.

Yes, this would have been at least six or seven images stacked using CombineZM or the newer ZP. The first two images in the series would have been using macro mode, and then in normal to take in the range from about 15" on outward to the farthest views, which were close to 6 feet distant.

Cool stuff. The result looks fantastic.

Back