Weekly Photo Fun 4-03/4-09

Jeffrey, my memory bank is struggling, was that from John Allen's layout?

Oh, just googled it and there it was!
Yep, the G&D was John Allen's creation. I consider myself very fortunate to have a factory made (IMWX) car with his roads name on it. How much I paid for it? $0. It was a gift. How it looks on my layout? Priceless! It won't be for sale so don't anybody start asking.

Finally got the MARS light to work!!

Even though SP had 4 lights its an accomplishment for this DCC beginer.

Some more well car weathering. This Walthers 48' well, Thrall car, was faded the same way as the container, though a tad more faded (though I'm thinking I should have made one more pass). I then darkened the panels with chalk, and added graffiti with an ultra fine tip sharpie.

Hey Josh
The weathering looks good on those stack cars but the graffti looks like a black marker. Unfortunately I have to see graffiti on my ride to and from work every day. It isn't that neat. There are sites that you can buy graffiti decals that look great. It might help to smudge what you have or weather over them.

I had a little extra time on my hands this morning (yay for me!) so I took some scraps and built this little photo box, about a 15 minute job.
I'm using it for rolling stock pics for my computer roster program.
BTW: some very nice stuff here this week folks!

Hey Josh
The weathering looks good on those stack cars but the graffti looks like a black marker. Unfortunately I have to see graffiti on my ride to and from work every day. It isn't that neat. There are sites that you can buy graffiti decals that look great. It might help to smudge what you have or weather over them.
Thanks! I got the same comment on MTW. It looks lighter in person, but I'll go over it a few more times with chalks to weather it. I was also told the sides kind of look too light, but since I'll be attacking the graffiti to weather it in, I can darken the sides a bit more.

Oddly I forgot the prototype inspiration link:
http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=20765

DSCN0775-1.jpg

Recently picked up a few boxcars for use on the planned lumber yard for my layout. The first two are Athearn Genesis 50' N.A.C.C. boxcars painted for Mountain Pine Lumber LTD. MPLX #1046 & 1048. They were scored for a good price on Ebay about a month ago and I am pretty impressed with them. These are my first Genesis rolling stock pieces and the detail is really nice, especially for RTR line prices.

The second set of cars are from the Athearn RTR line. They are 50' Double Plug Door boxcars lettered for USLX #3023 & 3041 and are painted for Weyerhaeuser. The owner of the LHS had just received those last week and I could not resist them. :D

Still need to find a couple of 72' centerbeam cars to finish off the rolling stock that will service the lumber yard as well. Leaning towards the Walthers Gold Line for those in CP, CN, and/or NOKL roadnames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, that engine house is coming along, nicely.
Corey, anyone who has done a bridge scene like that knows how much time and fitting it takes to get it "right". Nice progress!

West bound F7s and a Geep along Roaring Creek.

P1030353.jpg

Of all the easter railroad of the war years till early deasles. I think PRR is one of the coolest, I don't know why, as I live in the North West, but they are just fasinating, I even went out and baught a T-1, 4-4-4-4 Duplexn its supper cool, i am planning to run it through my layout as an excersion, the one T-1 that survived the scrap shops:D.
Your picture is really neat and I just had to comment.

Back