Weekend Photo Fun 8-29/9-1

Athearn FEF-3? They're designed to run on smaller radius then BLI. I have 3751 myself, very nice unit!

I recently purchased a Proto 2000 SD45 from Mike Rose ( http://www.mrhobby.com ), that was project started by Brian Banna. I'm not sure what Brian was planning for the unit but he had removed all the paint from the shell, except for the cab and underframe.

In any case, I had started carving up an Genesis SD70M cab a few months back, planning to build an MK5000C or MPEX 5000. The combination of the two, just made the deal sweeter, add to that the upcoming (less then a week!) Western Prototype Modelers meet (WPM), I started my work...

The prototype:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=117818

The model:

The walkways required the removal of the anti-climers, to be replaced with larger ones. I've installed Details West AC 189's on each end. I'll be replacing the end tread plates in the process. I've also removed the cast on sub-base, since the cab will have its own cabinet doors (odd ones at that).

The cab needs more work. I would like some measurements, but if nothing I'll do some educated guesstimate measuring based on the photos I have. I'll have to scratch build the whole nose, and shorten the cab sides & roof. I plan to use my Micromark etcher to make new cab window frames, nose door, and the cabinet doors.

The unit has 3 speed recorders on each truck! I still need to identify the plow (been to busy finishing up what I can before WPM), and order all details I'll need.

In any case, I hope you've enjoyed this introduction to a model I'll be displaying at WPM! If you're there, and happen to see me wandering around (I'll be sporting my Cannon & Co shirt [hummm, but I'm not displaying any Cannon & co products]), stop me and say hi! (Note, I no longer have the goatee, my current employer wants military appearance!) I'll be more then welcome to chat it up about my crazy ideas for projects.

Model photos:
View attachment 10698

View attachment 10699

Of note, the ES44DC in those photos will also be at WPM, with a little distinguishing features lesson on its display card. I'm modeling 1 of 22 of that specific "series" per details. I'll explain more later.

Josh,

That's a very cool project. I'll be looking forward to what you make of it.

Keep us posted of the goings-on at WPM... someday I'll have to plan a vacation to SoCal about this time of year.

Chris

WPM is actually moved back a month this year, due to the building being taken on WPM's normal weekend.

I'll post photos Saturday night, after I get home.

Josh, that is sure one bastard child of a locomotive. How do manage to track down all these weird prototypes?

I have some 22 inch radius that arived the same day that the 3751 did. It runs great on 22 inch. however my 15 inch the pilot trucks derail every time the engine even looks at them. Other then that it runs very good.
Selector if your refering to mine the UP SD45T-2 is from Athearn RTR. Most of my diesels are Athearn. I have two Atlas and will have my third BLI in a week. However I am thinking that I will stop buying anything less then Blueline or Genesis in Quality.
I am getting to the point that I like the level of detail. However the Silver in Atlas seems to have stepped up the detail level a notch over the others.

Don, sorry, I wasn't clear in directing my question. Yes, I had meant it for you, and I thank you for your reply. The Athearn is very nice...quite impressive.

-Crandell

P1010033.jpg

Josh, that is sure one bastard child of a locomotive. How do manage to track down all these weird prototypes?
I dunno really. I guess its just a thing of wandering over forum posts and the new photos on various sites.

Did you know IAIS is getting ES44AC's? :eek: :D

Josh, I guess Iowa Interstate is getting to be a big time railroad although I think it's the first Class II to order new ES44's.

Mike, your new equipment will look good when your layout gets going.

Jim, nice smoke effects on that diesel.

Josh, I guess Iowa Interstate is getting to be a big time railroad although I think it's the first Class II to order new ES44's.

Mike, your new equipment will look good when your layout gets going.

Yeah I'm just anxious to have it all already built. I'm starting to get more acomplished than before.

Here is a Video of the switching operations my layout section I'm working on now will be based off of. I'm going to make a complete replica of this whole section. Yard and terminal Facility. Kinda hard to see everything since its dark. But at least you get to see them switch. I think some of you have already seen the plans.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftAONhlJ1c

As soon as they make a sw1500 and gp40-2 for union pacific im getting them.

Aw, heck, Mike, it's not that hard to install a decoder in an RTR model and a little decal work will solve your road number problem. :)

Back