Weekend Photo Fun 3-6/3-9

Hi Ray: You're doing a great job with detailing your yard. The track looks very realistic, I'm sure you've spent a great deal of time on it, and it shows. There is just one little detail that photos tend to reveal. Are those track nails I see? I used track nails, too, but after the track was ballasted, weren't needed. I pulled them all and filled the holes with a tooth pick and Squadron Green Putty. The holes disappeared. Otherwise, excellent work!

Aha! Yep, I noticed them too.... Didn't really think about removing them though. Thanks Grampy! I will give that a try!

I've got the salvaged cargo doors and lower rails for the MoW observation car ready. Now I need to make the top rails and guard.

DSCN0619.jpg

A project I was working on today was an old severly damaged Athearn caboose sent to me along with some other damaged cars and an old GP30 locomotive. The caboose was missing most of it's steps, an entire observation deck, all railings and ladders and the frame was cracked. Here it is after being run through my rebuild shop.

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0628-1.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

I'll just slip into a seat here in the back row and sneak my pic in when nobody is looking.

This is a pic of my Z scale CSX Big Blue boxcar.she is already showing signs of earning her keep.

z_box_1.jpg

If anyone is interested the car is a kit made by Mark4 Design in New Zealand,the trucks and couplers (bodymount) are MTL and the stirrups are by BLMA,not sure who made the decals as they were donated to me by another Z scaler (and CSX nut like me :D)

rhoward your scenery looks real good. Quite realistic.
Did you use buffalo grass by any chance?

I used a combination of things. First some WS turf and weeds. Then the Silflor Prairie Grass. Again the Silflor is several different colors and lengths. Some is the "Buffalo Grass". Thanks for your comments!

Jerome, another nice flock of switchers you got there.

John, nice detail on those little cars. Those crates look like they took a bit of work.

Paul, nice structure. Not to be a dope, but what is it?

Jeffrey, good job rebuilding that junker. The only issues I see is the missing smokejack and that the truck under the cupola seems to be about 10 feet too far forward.

Johnathan, pretty nice looking boxcar for Z scale. I can remember when N scale didn't look that good.

New dumptruck... Its one of the Matchbox real working rigs. Still looking for the red ladder truck and the tow truck.
MBN3242-A-09.JPG

MBN3242-A-12.JPG

Jeffrey, good job rebuilding that junker. The only issues I see is the missing smokejack and that the truck under the cupola seems to be about 10 feet too far forward.
Thanks. At the time the photo was taken I didn't my drill bits handy to drill out the broken off stump of the old smokestack. As for the position of the truck, the angle on the photo makes it look wrong. The truck is centered under the cupola just as it was on the original model.

If anyone is interested the car is a kit made by Mark4 Design in New Zealand,the trucks and couplers (bodymount) are MTL and the stirrups are by BLMA,not sure who made the decals as they were donated to me by another Z scaler (and CSX nut like me :D)

Z scale stirrups.... yikes I'm doing good if I can see the car!
Nice work Catt!!

Josh, I got one of the Matchbox garbage trucks and they look pretty good with a little extra paint and details. I haven't even seen the dump truck in stores let alone the wrecker or fire engine.

Jeffrey, I guess it was the shadow from the flash that made that rear truck look out of place. Your MOW observation car should be the perfect companion for Frankenengine. :)

Yeah, those trucks are nice as well. I plan to buy a few more of the trash trucks, and swap the cabs on one of each, for Ricks Decals Mack MR cabs.

Jeffrey, you have a very fertile mind. :) You will probably have the only streamlined observation car in the world with sliding freight doors.

Josh, nice looking engines but much too clean for the CSX. Time to start weathering. :D

Jeffrey, you have a very fertile mind. :) You will probably have the only streamlined observation car in the world with sliding freight doors.
There's actually a prototype for this but I can't remember where I saw it. It was a streamline dining car. If I remember correctly the frame on it had been twisted in a derailment and it was no longer suitable for passenger line operation. The railroad fitted it with some old boxcar doors and used it to carry MoW equipment for years.

Late last night I finally finished the new MoW car. I wanted to get photos up earlier this morning but Photobucket was undergoing maintenance so I couldn't upload any. I put the old Olympus D550 to work and got these five shots of the finished car.

P3110075.jpg

P3110071.jpg

P3110070.jpg

P3110069.jpg

P3110068.jpg

Back