Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Another 11 intermodal well cars. The base has been added and a coat of Mission Models Matt Clear was sprayed
IMG_4819.jpeg

I am still playing (weathering) with well car sets. The Kato, Walthers and Atlas sets from the earlier picture are drying after hopefully the last Matt finish. The Kato set is mine, a blue Pacer stackman set. A few tags on each of the A and B cars, the C call will have a graffiti piece on each side
IMG_4870.jpeg
IMG_4869.jpeg
IMG_4868.jpeg

The Atlas 3 car set I talked about selling and I have an offer but he doesn’t want to pay my custom graffiti price and he does not want decals
IMG_4872.jpeg
IMG_4873.jpeg
IMG_4871.jpeg

I have 2 more of the 5 car units from Walthers started for me. The third set is a duplicated number and I’m hesitant to change the numbers and will just weather and sell them

IMG_4867.jpeg
IMG_4861.jpeg
The blue Kato Pacer set like the 2 sets before it was basically just faded. Tamiya xf-2 white thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol. Inside the car was Vallejo pigments iron rust. Followed up wash of Mission Models NATO black.
IMG_4875.jpeg

thinned 10% black to 90% tap water plus 5 drops of VMS matte clear varnish. The black wash sealed the pigments. All other clear coating on this set is the Mission Models Matt clear.

The 2 sets of Walthers 5 car sets were next up. i sprayed the entire car sets with Tamiya Flat Earth color after washing and letting the cars dry
IMG_4874.jpeg

I then added a VMS GLOSS coat applied to the side panels via air brush. I grabbed the Mission Models NATO Black and made a PIN wash. A 50/50 mix of NATO Black and tap water. I applied this wash on the side ribs only letting the wash run down the ribs creating dark shadows along the ribs. After Drying I sprayed VMS matte clear varnish over the entire car. After the VMS matte clear varnish dried the side panels of this set has 2 coats of Vallejo Air Dirt applied as a wash and is currently drying

21 of basically the same car with mostly the same colors is boring. I was hoping to be further along and since I try not to weather on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I’ll be back Wednesday

Those well cars look great.
Tom, are the Atlas well cars plastic or metal and how do the run empty. I have a few sets of the Kato and really like them. Just wondered about the Atlas.
Thank you

The Atlas cars are nicely detailed great looking cars that are disappointing feather light plastic

Empty the cars DO NOT track very well. I have tested them through my smallest curve at 30”. Loaded with a container and 3 ounces of additional weight in the container the ride is very nice forward and backwards. There is no where to add weight in the well car that is not distracting

I was looking forward to these cars and have 2 sets received last Fall but only now working on them. I do not recommend them but they weather up very nicely

I put the Kato 53’ pacer double stack and the Atlas 53’ well cars on the scale

kato are metal and the 3 cars combined weight is 8.5 ounces
IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4880.jpeg

atlas are plastic and the 3 cars combined weight is close to 3.5 ounces

IMG_4878.jpeg
IMG_4877.jpeg

Definitely a difference
IMG_4900.jpeg

Weathered intermodal equipment
IMG_4909.jpeg
IMG_4908.jpeg
IMG_4907.jpeg

Closest to the building is the Atlas 53’ car set
in the middle track is the Kato 53’ car set
closest to the layout edge is the 5 car Walther’s 40’ car set

no graffiti no tags at this moment. IF YOU R INTERESTED, THESE 3 sets will be for sale

The USPS tracking app is telling me the next Pacer Kato 3 car set should arrive Wednesday 3/20. 3 more Kato sets are also coming from Canada and arrived at LA customs this morning and are expected to be here in Wisconsin next Monday, the 25th

I won’t be putting anymore intermodal well cars in the thread for awhile. I have another 1/3 of the STX reefer car order to work on starting tomorrow. I already have another 22 intermodal well cars in various stages of weathering scattered around the shop. But other than adding tags and graffiti they will be similar to the cars pictured.

The next group of client cars will be 5 tank cars (ethanol) and 2 sulfur cars due to ship out by the 31st. The clients have allowed pictures before they approve the cars so thiose may be the next pictured group.

Thanks for doing the weight comparison. Good to know, I'll wait for Kato to hopefully run them again or if I come across them at a show. The ones you did look great.
Look on EBay but look for the ones shipping from Canada. Very little competition on bids and many have been make an offer. The exchange rate on the USD vs the Canadian dollar I think people forget about

I’ve gotten some good deals

Another 11 intermodal well cars. The base has been added and a coat of Mission Models Matt Clear was sprayed
View attachment 184356
You probably exhibited this method, I will call it the assembly line method, to get a lot of cars weathered at once.

Seeing this picture makes me want to do like a batch of 10 of my old time box cars at the same time, a bell went off in my head "Why don't I do this"

I think I will be taking trucks off a big group and go through the process to fade them down mainly.

Thanks for ringing the bell! Dave LASM

You probably exhibited this method, I will call it the assembly line method, to get a lot of cars weathered at once.

Seeing this picture makes me want to do like a batch of 10 of my old time box cars at the same time, a bell went off in my head "Why don't I do this"

I think I will be taking trucks off a big group and go through the process to fade them down mainly.

Thanks for ringing the bell! Dave LASM
Bell ringing! You are welcome. Trucks and wheels are easy if they come from the same manufacturer. When they are different I just put them in a labeled emptied and clean yogurt container

I think that I saw it mentioned here 25 or 30 pages ago that pictures of freight car roofs are hard to come by. Take a look at afleetcommand's latest video posting here.

For those following along you realize I am very disappointed in the weight of the 3 car articulated well car set from Atlas. There is nowhere IMO to add weight to the empty car without interrupting the good looks and nice details of the cars.

So 3 ounces of weight added to the floor of a container in the form of USA pennies. The cars now track wonderfully forward and back. Not the ideal solution but a practical one. While I would like to run these empty in the empty unit train it is not unusual to see containers in cars of a mostly empty stack train. I have done this same solution to the 5 Evemodel well cars I have

IMG_4927.jpeg
IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4925.jpeg
IMG_4923.jpeg

Last edited:
For those following along you realize I am very disappointed in the weight of the 3 car articulated well car set from Atlas. There is nowhere IMO to add weight to the empty car without interrupting the good looks and nice details of the cars.

So 3 ounces of weight added to the floor of a container in the form of USA pennies. The cars now track wonderfully forward and back. Not the ideal solution but a practical one. While I would like to run these empty in the empty unit train it is not unusual to see containers in cars of a mostly empty stack train. I have done this same solution to the 5 Evemodel well cars I have

View attachment 184679View attachment 184680View attachment 184681View attachment 184682

Somewhere, some currency defacement Nazi is sizing you up for federal charges…

Deny everything!!!

Back