Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Thanks to my shrinking stash of Floquil Old Silver! 😁
In the old days back in the 70’s my modeling mentor only used Floquil and thought me a trader when I tried some Scalecoat. Now I use the Vallejo Model Colors and Air lines of paints as washes mostly applied using a brush. The main base coat is Tamiya Arcylic thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol applied via the air brush. I am very happy.

Got the last 6 of 12 coal cars decaled and dull coated. Weathering next.
IMG_5744.jpg

In the old days back in the 70’s my modeling mentor only used Floquil and thought me a trader when I tried some Scalecoat. Now I use the Vallejo Model Colors and Air lines of paints as washes mostly applied using a brush. The main base coat is Tamiya Arcylic thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol applied via the air brush. I am very happy.
Been a Scalecoat user for decades! It looks like we may have lost it. The guy's phone is disconnected, his facebook and online presence are gone. Tru-Color and Star Brand (similar products) are good, if a little tricky to spray. I also use Vallejo, and AK Interactive. Never had much luck with Badger! I've also had good luck with Tamiya, though they don't offer a railroad line, but there are crossovers. We have to remain resourceful these days!

Been a Scalecoat user for decades! It looks like we may have lost it. The guy's phone is disconnected, his facebook and online presence are gone. Tru-Color and Star Brand (similar products) are good, if a little tricky to spray. I also use Vallejo, and AK Interactive. Never had much luck with Badger! I've also had good luck with Tamiya, though they don't offer a railroad line, but there are crossovers. We have to remain resourceful these days!
Alan. So right about being resourceful. That though can sometimes be part of the hobby. Finding that “score” really is a good feeling.

I have used the Badger colors that are great for the Wisconsin Central but was never happy with the rest of the colors. I have some Tru-color gathering dust and I have not heard of the Star brand. I have completely gone away from the spray cans. I still have some Tamiya, Krylon and Rustoleum brand new cans in inventory. Even spraying those outside on a calm warm day I no longer tolerate or handle the smell.

Now that all the decorations are down and the honey-dos are temporarily taken care of (they're never fully taken care of, are they?) back to this tank car weathering thing. I'll be using several techniques to see if I can come up with something satisfactory on these blue-boxers before I start on the Tangents. I should have enough here to figure it out! 😁
Tank car weathering.jpg

Moving away from Floquil….Heresy

I have paint jars up the ying yang….. but the ones I use are the easy to find/replace like Tamiya and Vallejo..

I have a lot of AK paints which work well but I haven’t used much…

But Model Master…Humbrol…Testors…have been mostly relegated to the Aeromaster / Floquil / PollyS box

Next small project is some Athearn Blue box cabooses. They will most likely use as a breakroom for crews. First thing is windows. There is a reason I don't throw to much away that I feel I can use later on and this is one of those cases. The packaging for the pipe I bought about a year ago is one. I've also used the clear section on the box that the car came in too. I cut pieces a little wide and long and use super glue gel to install. If your going to weather these put the windows in last. I see a lot of these cabooses at shows that guys have on a trains and looks odd with no glass in the windows.
IMG_5747.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg

Last edited:

Back