Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Here’s a old Roundhouse Reefer I lightly weathered and added to the rolling stock roster last spring. I used just a soft makeup brush and a rust colored chalk stick. I used a Graphite pencil for the hardwareView attachment 158313View attachment 158314View attachment 158315View attachment 158316View attachment 158317View attachment 158318View attachment 158319View attachment 158320
Lee very nice. Looks like you have a great touch. There is enough dirt and grime to know the car is in service but not over done.

Thanks

Thanks Tom. Sometimes I like to just lightly weather specially if I really like the rolling stock or power unit I don’t wanna kill it with weathering and lose how nice it looks. I’ll have more to post of you don’t mind I’ve been working on.
Lee, by all means jump in with both feet. Our normal audience likes weathering but we are also interested in everyone’s techniques.

I'm trying to get a few more cars weathered, but this snow storm could keep me going at work through the holiday. Next weekend is rain and 51.
The blizzard to end all blizzards is disrupting the Midwest too. Unfortunately for me the layout is down, my cave is completely empty and I want to run trains. My paint booth and bench have been set up but 3 miles +/- away.

Be safe out there

I still need to start weathering this, probably a grey or black wash, I don't think it's too bad, apart from the tank, which looks terrible, that came out very streaky for some reason, I may be able to use that when the time to add grime comes, but it's a work in progress.

20221223_104456.jpg

Good late afternoon. My plan was not to weather until fully in the temporary new place sometime probably in mid-January. But, I am antsy, bored, feeling better and the paper booth is hooked up. I semi organized my space so here I am.

I started a MOW Vehicle weathering thread on 12/28/2022.

I received some freight cars in the parcel drop off today.

4- TBOX box cars to be light to medium weathered. These were purchased to be weathered and sold. They will not see any tracks on my layout
FE9BA807-C7A3-440F-8609-14FFBF6E51FA.jpeg

4- CHSX Cenex tank cars. To be lightly weathered but mainly faded. The ethanol tank cars I have pictures of are not heavily weathered, faded yes, real dirty, no. I definitely will keep 2 for me but I will be running the 4 on a through train, then sell 2 off.
AB38D511-9ABA-440E-AC77-40B72A10780B.jpeg

I have another set of 3 tank cars that will be weathered at the same time as the 8 cars above. Here showed up last week.
F3839CE5-3CBD-45AF-9CC3-31AC7D066FF0.jpeg
Finally I have 2 for me rarely purchased Athearn Genesis cars coming. I am not sure why and this is strictly my opinion but I do not believe Genesis cars are a good value. I do not like the couplers or the wheel sets, so those will be changed. Rarely have I found the Genesis series to have car numbers matching actual prototype cars. The number series maybe right but the actual number was not produced. Just me!

But I wanted a couple acid tank cars for the paper mill, so after screwing around for the last 6 months or so I ordered them before Christmas from the LHS. Ignore SpringCreek’s price that actually was the best online I could find. But the LHS gave me a much better deal
3548F0DD-8243-4174-8ECB-0CCADA778240.png

I was hoping to clear coat the above cars together but the others arrived early and the LHS has not received acknowledgement of his order from Athearn with my stuff in it. So, tonight the above cars will get started.

Post #56 has the pics comparing the two.

I have a few of those Walthers TBOX and CSX cars, they are nice. As for the Athearn, the original Genesis box cars (high cube) are now the ready to run with a couple of upgrades and a much higher price.
The Genesis cars are nice, I am not criticizing that. I’m not a cheapie and if there is value I will pay the price. The Genesis cars I have recently weathered new out of the box from the latest runs feel like a rip off. The trucks are usually bad enough I replace them with Tangent. The couplers are cheap but not a terrible issue as if any coupler is not a Kadee I replace them. Give me a Proto from Walthers over Genesis any day. But, locomotives, I absolutely love the Genesis line but this thread is about freight cars…

I've done the Sanding Tower Tom kindly sent me, not perfect, but weathering is still new to me, but I'm learning.
On doing some research on these, seems this Sanding Tower is for steam locomotives, from what I can gather, Diesel's have sand boxes mounted on the side of the engine not on top.

I may tinker with it some more, but for the moment I'm reasonably happy with it.

20221230_210429.jpg
20221230_210514.jpg

The Genesis cars are nice, I am not criticizing that. I’m not a cheapie and if there is value I will pay the price. The Genesis cars I have recently weathered new out of the box from the latest runs feel like a rip off. The trucks are usually bad enough I replace them with Tangent. The couplers are cheap but not a terrible issue as if any coupler is not a Kadee I replace them. Give me a Proto from Walthers over Genesis any day. But, locomotives, I absolutely love the Genesis line but this thread is about freight cars…
The only thing with Genesis cars is that they are on the light side. They end up on the rear of the train.

CHS tank cars! I am going to work on 2 today. I will be using Panel Pastels on the tank body and Vallejo Air brushed onto the trucks and wheel faces.
EDA862F5-995B-49F5-80D8-2C4A8B0AF8E0.jpeg

1st up is fading the body using the PP colorless blender. ABOVE
4B8B38FD-4621-4607-86B5-5211CA7A6866.jpeg

The prototype pictures of the number series of cars within the 1998 build date are not that dirty in this 2008 picture. The photo credit is shown on the picture ABOVE
5C904EE9-13FE-44DD-AC4D-CA1DA1DFB71A.jpeg

ABOVE shows the 2 cars being weathered today.

The car in the egg crate is faded using brushed on and blended Pan Pastel’s colorless blender.

The car on the cutting matt is just clear coated with a mat finish from VMS. This car will be faded with Tamiya colors delivered via the airbrush. While the picture is somewhat deceiving the faded car in the cradle has a definite color transition.

I picked up a few new materials and decided to give them a try this afternoon. Back some years ago when I gave airbrush clinics at Amherst, Bachmann used to donate freight cars for the classes. The last time I did them, I ended up with a couple of cases of cars left. Not wanting to experiment on the good stuff I dug a couple out and tried some new techniques on them. Nothing ventured nothing gained! The Bachmann cars actually aren't bad. A little tweaking and a couple of upgrades (wheelsets and couplers) and they're actually pretty good for layout quality models. I picked an ore car and a cylindrical hopper to play with. First thing was a flat coat. Unfortunately, Testor's Dullcote has gone the way of the Dodo, but I had some handy. There are several other flat coats out there that will work as well, but that's another discussion. Just the dullcote calmed them down a bit and killed the plastic sheen, which on these cars was considerable.
IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

Next I hit them with Pan Pastels. Light grays, a little white, and some earth tones on the black car, and some red rust and black on the CP ore car.

Both got Intermountain wheelsets.

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG

Trucks got brushed with AK interactive stains. Wheelsets were painted with Floquil weathered black.

I wanted to try the AK stains on a tank car since I gave so many to do, and I dug out an old Athearn BB tanker. The method I wanted to use was to put a dot on the top seam, let it dry a little and then drag it down the sides to make streaks. This was actually working pretty well until I saw that my thinner was lifting the paint off the car. Oops! It's fixable. Lesson learned! The AK stains are very nice, but I think I'll thin them first, and then brush them on next time. I also think they'll airbrush nicely. Live and learn.

IMG_4202.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a few new materials and decided to give them a try this afternoon. Back some years ago when I gave airbrush clinics at Amherst, Bachmann used to donate freight cars for the classes. The last time I did them, I ended up with a couple of cases of cars left. Not wanting to experiment on the good stuff I dug a couple out and tried some new techniques on them. Nothing ventured nothing gained! The Bachmann cars actually aren't bad. A little tweaking and a couple of upgrades (wheelsets and couplers) and they're actually pretty good for layout quality models. I picked an ore car and a cylindrical hopper to play with. First thing was a flat coat. Unfortunately, Testor's Dullcote has gone the way of the Dodo, but I had some handy. There are several other flat coats out there that will work as well, but that's another discussion. Just the dullcote calmed them down a bit and killed the plastic sheen, which on these cars was considerable.
View attachment 158937

View attachment 158938

Next I hit them with Pan Pastels. Light grays, a little white, and some earth tones on the black car, and some red rust and black on the CP ore car.

Both got Intermountain wheelsets.

View attachment 158940

View attachment 158941

Trucks got brushed with AK interactive stains. Wheelsets were painted with Floquil weathered black.

I wanted to try the AK stains on a tank car since I gave so many to do, and I dug out an old Athearn BB tanker. The method I wanted to use was to put a dot on toe tp seam, let it dry a little and then drag it down the sides to make streaks, This was actually working pretty well until I saw that my thinner was lifting the paint off the car. Oops! it's fixable. Lesson learned! The AK stains are very nice, but I think I'll thin them first, and brush them on next time. I also think they'll airbrush nicely. Live and learn.

View attachment 158942
Nice work. After applying the Pan Pastels did you spray dull cote again to seal the pastels?

CP 388500 is great but I really love the central panels.

Back