Weathering Rails ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
What do you guys use to weather your rails - rusty them up or whatever?

I have heard acrylic paint then wipe the tops of the rails off but any other ideas what wont effect the electrical conductivity of the rails?

Am putting together a small (very small) diorama and would like to try weathering the rails before I try it on my actual layout.

How does this look?

yhHNEnE.jpg

Please be honest, if it doesn't look right tell me and tell me why it doesn't please.

How does this look?

yhHNEnE.jpg

Please be honest, if it doesn't look right tell me and tell me why it doesn't please.
had to tell but I think the sides of the rails need more plus the color is a little hit and miss.

The Woodland Scenics rail paint pen "rusty rail" is a good color and works well, however you may need to go over the rail several times to get good consistent rust.

I have had success mixing some tan paint with rust powder in a small container, adding a little water as necessary, and spreading that on the sides of the rails with a small brush.

On my old layout I had all the rail treated with rust. So far have not gotten around to that on the new layout, however the salvaged track I used still looks good where I painted it or treated with the W.S. product.

When I got really carried away I painted the rail but used a slightly darker shade on the tie plates. Not visible unless you look really close, which no one does but me and maybe some other OCD persons :D

Its a good start but does need a couple more passes to get a consistent coverage, I'd add a bit more brown/rust (or burnt umber if you have any). Don't worry about getting paint on the rail heads, it can be easily cleaned off with IPA afterwards
I usually rub the top of my rails with a clean finger or thumb right along as I am doing the painting, or even scrape it off with a fingernail if it dries a little.

You know, some guys spray the whole track with spray paint and are quite happy with it, in that case is the IPA you are talking about India Pale Ale?

Dave LASM

I usually rub the top of my rails with a clean finger or thumb right along as I am doing the painting, or even scrape it off with a fingernail if it dries a little.

You know, some guys spray the whole track with spray paint and are quite happy with it, in that case is the IPA you are talking about India Pale Ale?

Dave LASM
Hi Dave

I always spray the whole of my track with a dull flat brown colour, ballast then weather. Its at that point I clean the railheads, with Isopropyl Alcohol, and sit back and enjoy an Indian Pale Ale whilst admiring my handiwork!

I painted my flex track ties with the airbrush using Tamiya paints in varying grey tones ( about 5 different colours )
Once the track was on the layout, I airbrushed the rails a dark grime colour…
Then a lot of tie touch-up…
Finally I scraped the paint off the rail tops with a piece of wood and an alcohol soaked scrap of old t-shirt

35767D8F-9FDF-43E2-A45A-0E87BD3613B0.png

Last edited:
Vallejo, MIG Ammo and AK Interactive paints are my go-to these days, a huge range of colours and as you say, go a very long way.

The pre-thinned Vallejo Air range is great, despite being thinned for airbrush use, I mostly brush with them

I very rarely use enamels these days

So, help me out here:

You paint your rails,
You paint your ties,
You lay your ballast..

…If you set your ballast with one of those glue (or matte medium) in water & isopropyl alcohol mixes, does that negatively affect your painted rails and ties?

Last edited:
So, help me out here:

You paint your rails,
You paint your ties,
You lay your ballast..

…If you set your ballast with one of those glue (or matte medium) in water & isopropyl alcohol mixes, does that negatively affect your painted rails and ties?
If you use too strong a water/IPA mix it may affect the paint work and the plastic on the ties, glue and matte mediums wont affect at all

Back