Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

Next was the BNSF 25th anniversary unit. They keep these pretty clean from the pics I've seen. The grills get hand painted flat black then airbrushed blended with grimy black. The trucks were lightly airbrushed with grimy black along with the ends. The tanks were light on the top and a bit more on the bottom. The wheels were also painted a rust color to get rid of the shine.View attachment 163037View attachment 163038View attachment 163039View attachment 163040 A very very light coat of dull on the whole engine, remember they keep them clean as much as possible.
Nice Tom. Dirty but not over the top.

Nice Tom. Dirty but not over the top.
Thanks. 5831 I want the used look but not over do it otherwise it would be too much of a contrast with the anniversary unit.
I'm hoping Scale Trains does the AC4400 with the steerable trucks in the CSX YN2. They will get grimy and might even try the overheated paint peel and rust effect around the exhaust and down the side a bit.

Thanks,Mike. They are sharp. They did all 10 that BNSF had. I just wonder if anyone got all 10.

In sure some of the speculators did. I believe ScaleTrains has exclusive rights to this paint scheme, so they probably bought them all thinking they would cash in. They announced a second run almost immediately due to sales, so that will quell it for a while.

My weathering commissions have been picked up or mailed off including Chris’s (Smudge617) that he should see in 10-14 days.

So…back to the Gp40-2l, CN 9433. Last week I masked off the lights and windows with a Humbro Masking fluid I had. Applied, waited the time it said and found it hadn’t cured. Next day, still not cured. I then removed the masking with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, tossed out the Humbro and applied Microscales Mask. Seemed to work. Around 1 hour ago I sprayed a clear matte finish on the locomotive.
2C370DE4-F7C3-4810-B08B-010E590F0885.jpeg
I will be using Tamiya’s black panel liner tonight as I listen and sort of watch online the Second Section Video podcast at 8PM CST via YouTube. The guest is Boomer from Boomer Diorama and he is a returning wonderful guest.

How do you like Thad Tamiya panel liner? I looked at it when I ordered all of y paint but held off.
Mike, it’s fine. Sort of a gimmick IMO. It acts the same as using my India Ink and H2O mix, meaning it’s a touch and flow in the panel lines. I am sure the TAmiya Panel lining fans will say how great it is but really I feel using India Ink or even a homemade black wash would do the same for less expense. I have the black Tamiya Panel liner and it sits right next to my Black India Ink concoction, so I will use it till it’s gone. I will not purchase it again.

My weathering commissions have been picked up or mailed off including Chris’s (Smudge617) that he should see in 10-14 days.

So…back to the Gp40-2l, CN 9433. Last week I masked off the lights and windows with a Humbro Masking fluid I had. Applied, waited the time it said and found it hadn’t cured. Next day, still not cured. I then removed the masking with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, tossed out the Humbro and applied Microscales Mask. Seemed to work. Around 1 hour ago I sprayed a clear matte finish on the locomotive.
View attachment 163215I will be using Tamiya’s black panel liner tonight as I listen and sort of watch online the Second Section Video podcast at 8PM CST via YouTube. The guest is Boomer from Boomer Diorama and he is a returning wonderful guest.
I have the Humbrol masking liquid and found it works, no problem at all, admittedly a good shaking is needed, but works fine for me.

View attachment 162638Another one from the same site. I am done looking though. This gives me a good view of the frame and another reference to the nose. I didn’t notice the date of the picture but this will help

Try this link...

it should list all pics of your unit...

Looks like a fun project!

Hit the bench and the locomotive this morning between my Wednesday vacuuming chores. Heck I even vacuumed my hobby space.

Cleaned up the panel lines last night and worked the sides and the nose this morning.

I am nor real happy with it but it is ok. Lots of little things to clean up.
410B6BA9-0ECE-450F-9A99-DA830BECA082.jpeg
DA821351-EEA1-42FB-BA69-F28D5AE7B104.jpeg
F0722B29-B084-42BD-A0A1-36CA4D6312C5.jpeg
6A4BA1D0-38D3-4B56-8926-391B23A857A8.jpeg

The cab sides definitely need more fading. The walkways didn’t blend as I was hoping. I believe the next spray of clear coat will handle that. I then will hit the sides with a blending spray of charcoal black.

Other than the fading on the cab I can live with this.

Next up is fading the cab, nose, back end and the roof.

Thoughts please…

Last edited:
Hit the bench and the locomotive this morning between my Wednesday vacuuming chores. Heck I even vacuumed my hobby space.

Cleaned up the panel lines last night and worked the sides and the nose this morning.

I am nor real happy with it but it is ok. Lots of little things to clean up. View attachment 163256View attachment 163257View attachment 163258View attachment 163259
The cab sides definitely need more fading. The walkways didn’t blend as I was hoping. I believe the next spray of clear coat will handle that. I then will hit the sides with a blending spray of charcoal black.

Other than the fading on the cab I can live with this.

Next up is fading the cab, nose, back end and the roof.

Thoughts please…
Hand rails on the steps are too clean, along with the steps themselves, what are your thoughts on the fuel tank and trucks grime and rust ?

Hand rails on the steps are too clean, along with the steps themselves, what are your thoughts on the fuel tank and trucks grime and rust ?
While I have not touched the frame or hand rails I have thoughts but better are the pictures. I will be going for this effect

The photographers and the site are credited on each of the pictures. That third one is also from the group of pictures linked by Alcomotive (James)
5C0C0626-8468-495E-B42E-24EC7FB28503.jpeg
AD4B67C6-9C06-4EF5-A65B-06F0216302F7.jpeg
0FD8B8BE-ADCD-49D5-9C11-F032360FF8FC.jpeg
I am moving along but slowly. I have not yet added the clear coat to the work done. As it marinated and I looked at it a few times yesterday, the look I have going is growing on me. While still not 100% sure when I get to the bench this afternoon then it’s decision time.

The engineer side is ok but the walkway bothers me. There is too much gray. The rust flowing from the door panel latches sort of blended in and is barely there.
56EF3D1B-0215-4C12-879E-D51AA9E7A44F.jpeg

The conductor side the cab needs much more fading. Again the walkway, especially at the rear steps just seems off, in this case too much rust color bleeding down.
85DF0365-C901-4BD3-BF9D-D0EA71144A2F.jpeg

The roof over all has a slight blended fade. The exhaust stack will get the black exhaust treatment but that is not today.

IF this was a commission (it’s for me) I would have popped the railings off and the side frames on the trucks. Also with my uncertainty depending on what the owner says I may have started stripping it to start over.
But, as my first diesel it is a definite learning process for me.

Things I already know I will do different:

1. Remove the body from the frame
2. Remove the hand rails
3. start with the roof and work down the sides
4. instead of the 1 coat of clear matte, at least 2
5. solder the pick up wires to the tabs in the trucks

Just as a FYI, the next set of locomotives, starting with a Gp38-2 is already at the work bench and was disassembled as per the 5 steps I will do differently. I have also changed out the Genesis motherboard to a Nitz trains Decoder Buddy, changed the Genesis speaker to Scale Sound System, added a keep alive and plugged it back in and tested the Tsunami2 decoder.

Finally, since I am on a locomotive roll. I have the stripped down CP, Athearn Genesis MP15Ac ( to be patched ) and another Genesis stripped down CN gp40-2 that will someday be painted my free lance road on the bench.
0F74789B-90F4-4881-A201-674989D94090.jpeg

They both got the above internal treatment. Tested both and they sound great.

Last edited:
While I have not touched the frame or hand rails I have thoughts but better are the pictures. I will be going for this effect

The photographers and the site are credited on each of the pictures. That third one is also from the group of pictures linked by Alcomotive (James)
View attachment 163293View attachment 163294View attachment 163295I am moving along but slowly. I have not yet added the clear coat to the work done. As it marinated and I looked at it a few times yesterday, the look I have going is growing on me. While still not 109% sure when I get to the bench this afternoon then it’s decision time.
View attachment 163296View attachment 163297The engineer side is ok but the walkway bothers me. There is too much gray. The rust flowing from the door panel latches sort of blended in and is barely there.

The conductor side the cab needs much more fading. Again the walkway, especially at the rear steps just seems off, in this case too much rust color bleeding down.

The roof over all has a slight blended fade. The exhaust stack will get the black exhaust treatment but that is not today.

IF this was a commission (it’s for me) I would have popped the railings off and the side frames on the trucks. Also with my uncertainty depending on what the owner says I may have started stripping it to start over.
But, as my first diesel it is a definite learning process for me.

Things I already know I will do different:

1. Remove the body from the frame
2. Remove the hand rails
3. start with the roof and work down the sides
4. instead of the 1 coat of clear matte, at least 2
5. solder the pick up wires to the tabs in the trucks

Just as a FYI, the next set of locomotives, starting with a Gp38-2 is already at the work bench and was disassembled as per the 5 steps I will do differently. I have also changed out the Genesis motherboard to a Nitz trains Decoder Buddy, changed the Genesis speaker to Scale Sound System, added a keep alive and plugged it back in and tested the Tsunami2 decoder.

Finally, since I am on a locomotive roll. I have the stripped down CP, Athearn Genesis MP15Ac ( to be patched ) and another Genesis stripped down CN gp40-2 that will someday be painted my free lance road on the bench.
View attachment 163298

They both got the above internal treatment. Tested both and they sound great.
Definately looks like you know where you want to go regarding the loco weathering, I'm really looking forward to see how this progresses.

Back