want to learn and advise pls....

Swami

hi guys, i am from india where model railroading is mostly "unknown". since i am on a project in South Africa and just happened one day to visit a site in the net, it rekindled my school day passion of trains, electronics etc., Then thought why not i start doing this. Read a lot in the internet and considering many things, i bought a starter set from Atlas (HO). Chose the Atlas two rail system because the future locomotives and cars would be less expensive when compared to Marklin, Trix etc., (you know i am from India and the currency covertion proves very expensive). At the same time, i live in an apartment in Chennai, India and the space is not large. (people suggested N scale and i was not very interested due to various reasons). SO... when i went in for a break a month ago, i started constructing this HO with a 6.5' x 3' plywood board. The starter set radius did not fit !!! luckily i had flexi tracks and i made a tight curve and with my 1 RH and 2 wye turnouts, i made provision for 3 yards. I constructed a mountain (with 2 tunnels) with paper mache and POP. Then i ballasted the track using fine Aquarium Gravel. RAN OUT OF tracks, and scenic materials.....Now i am back in South Africa and i purchased another GP-38-2 loco, 2 hoopers and and few remote turnouts and also some scenic materials for the ground cover etc., I think i will try to complete the starter layout this time with one more staging and two more yards. EXCEPT for the Loco, cars and tracks, i will make everything on my own. Now, i have made a lumber factory, coal factory, water tank, small station using Balsa Wood on my own. (yet to paint - will use acrylics) - so far the results are good in my opinion. I will make more structures before i leave to india in another 20 days. All the structures are lighted with LEDs and i will make signals also.

OK, I wanted to share it with more knowledgable persons on railroading and hence this post. I can post pictures only when i am back to india and progress with the layout.

Finally, since i am from India, i do not know either US or European rail roading. So, this is just going to be a freelance and i would probably change it to suit Indian Railway by renaming, painting, weathering the cars etc.,

I am doing this out of my passion and not to do with prototypes etc., BUT, I WILL TRY AND MAINTAIN THE SCALE as much as possible with structures and everything.

AT THIS MOMENT, if anybody has any tips or ideas, i would welcome those and thanks to you guys in advance.

Hope it is not boring for you guys.

rgds swami

Hello and welcome.

You have a good start, and hopefully you will learn a little about what you like for when the time comes start another layout. Ask all the questions you want and we'll try not to confuse you.

Hi Swami and welcome to the forum. You have a good start into the hobby. I would suggest that if you are thinking about modeling closer to the Indian Railway system, you make your purchases on rolling stock and locomotives to match now just to save you money later. I am not sure, but I believe your prototypical railways are more European in design than American. There are several members on the forum that can lead you to Web stores/vendors that handle this equipment and design. Again, welcome and just ask the forum all the questions you come up with.

from India

Hi Swami

I m frm Mumbai, and am a newbie in this. Need to kno many things as to how to start in trains. I am a aeromodeler otherwise.

Please share your experience and how to go about it. I am told Marklin are good sets. Also on reading the on net have understood HO scale looks like the scale to start with and I am thinking of going digital from the begining.

Please advice.

Nishant:)

Swami, you just passing through. I think everyone is waiting for a reply with more info.

Nishant, if you would start a thread of your own and asking for advice, I believe you will get more response. Its hard to help two on the same thread. Glad to have you here on the forum.:)

Airslide, not good to send one to another forum when we have many Europeans and those that model European type rails. I agree with Ron that the forum is always interested in all railroads, not just American.;) :)

Welcome to both you you. We will try to help as we can, but you will have to be patient as there is not a lot of traffic on this forum compared to some others (this one is better, though), and of course there is a time difference.

Hey Mark I've always been interested in Canadian Rails , I have taken the train trip from Niagara Falls to Toronto quite a few times. Even purchased Peameal Bacon a few times on the way back !!!!

Yes, Mark...even Canucks:D . Just kidding. I guess I should have said, "... not just North American railroads." BTW: Canada has a rail history as interesting as the U.S.;)

Hi,
I am originally b&b in Mumbai and now a Hoosier American living in US for 15 years.
HO would be a very good start for you and Marklin though the top of the line restricts you 3 rail which is not very popular in India. There are still bunch of my friends in Mumbai who model with Fleischmann and ROCO due to compatibility and ease of availability. DC is still most popular in India.

I had the dealerships of Marklin, Fleischmann and ROCO in India until 1995 before I migrated, so there are tons of railroad modelers and India Hobby Center (if it still exists) will guide you tot he local club at Marine Lines that we had started 25 years back.

For the tight spaces in India suggest a good 8x4 Kitply board mounted on a box frame atleast 8" deep that can fold into the wall, so you get the space and no obstruction. I built mine when living in an apartment until I moved into a bungalow which had a huge train room by itself.

I am visiting India in June so email or contact me if you need modeling help, I will be glad to assist.

I am visiting India in June so email or contact me if you need modeling help, I will be glad to assist.
Hi traincityinnovations, and welcome to the ModelRailroadForum. That is a very decent offer to help swami with his layout.

Cheers Willis

Airslide, not good to send one to another forum when we have many Europeans and those that model European type rails. I agree with Ron that the forum is always interested in all railroads, not just American.;) :)

I apologize if my comment was perceived that way. Obviously, I am in no position and have no authority to send anyone from this board anywhere, or even insinuate the anyone should go somewhere else. i frequent both boards and several others. i believe anyone new to the hobby (like myself) should explore all sources. my reference was just that, a reference. perhaps i misinterpreted your initial post...Be that as it may, Swami - please accept my apology, for I meant no foul by posting a link to a board with predominantly European modelers.

Ease up, Airslide. We know there wasn't any harm intended and certainly none done. We just like to try and help before advising someone to look elsewhere. Enjoy! :)

Ease up, Airslide. We know there wasn't any harm intended and certainly none done. We just like to try and help before advising someone to look elsewhere. Enjoy! :)

I concur, no harm done or intended even. We like to help. :D

Back