Walthers 59’ Logimex Covered Hopper …

AirbrushNo5

A bit more work on this one than I usually invest on a project..
IMG_9352.jpeg

What they all said ^. I really like the way you've scraped up and aged the big logo too. That's a one-way door--you can't undo it--and thus it takes some courage and confidence to do it. You've got both.

I'd love to see what you did to the other side. :D

--------------

When you similarly aged so well a brown Rio Grande boxcar a while back--must have been a year now--you might recall I asked you about the way you treated one side of the car, and you pointed out the logo on the other side (the large, white "Flying Rio Grande" logo) was largely gone in comparison to the "better side." I mentioned then that I have seen that sort of thing on some quad hoppers, and I would follow up when I found those pics.

It took me a long time, but I did find them, and they are sitting atop the PC tower case about three feet to my right. Wanna see? Let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks…Yup it’s a one way trip…

The other side is much the same…first hopper getting broken in on the layout…

Started the other LOGIMEX hopper today…

Tamiya Smoke over the NDYX reporting marks to make them look patched…stabbed with XF-20A and a stiff brush to give it a little wear…hairspray over the LOGIMEX logos and then Tamiya White… chipped and followed by White overspray..

Just about to hit it with Rustoleum Clear Flat in my Painting Jig ™ ……
IMG_9438.jpeg
IMG_9440.jpeg

As well, I have to mask and Tamiya Smoke the tiny, hard to reach reporting marks at the car ends…
But that will wait, I just sealed the paint with Rustoleum on my Milk Crate Paint Stand™ and I’ll give the sides more hairspray tonight and maybe Tamiya rust mixes over that…

Sure looking forward to the Rio Grande “ghost lettering”….
IMG_9441.jpeg

Last edited:
Second car pretty much done…other than some weathering on the bottom of the car
I think I would have liked the rust weathering on each car to be more consistent…
I used the same colours of paint, but heavier application on the second car…
Live and learn…I like these Walthers Mainline cars…they are decent and under $30 🇨🇦
IMG_9534.jpeg
IMG_9533.jpeg

Back