Video - Walthers El Capitan (and others)

The locomotives don't look too bad (color wise) by themselves. How do they looked parked next to a set with a normal red color?

When you say a set with "normal red color", which set are you referring to? They are pretty much identical to the F3's issued with the plated Super Chief, but are a more subdued red when compared to the Athearn Genesis F units recently issued.

Here is a photo comparison I did last year, illustrating the difference in color and reflectivity of the plating by using a busy background. The Walthers unit is on the left, the Athearn on the right:

D70_1231-Edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say a set with "normal red color", which set are you referring to?
I would say the color of every other Santa Fe set I've gotten since the beginning of time, the photos that I have taken and seen in all the books, and years of living along the Santa Fe tracks watching the trains go by when those locomotives ruled the rails. The Walther's units I saw in the store in the packaging look almost maroon, and I had decided not to get a set. In your video they look pretty good, so I was leaning toward getting a set again, but seeing your photo makes me leary again. It doesn't look as maroon as the set I saw in the packaging, so I am wondering if the lighting type and intensity makes a big difference too. I am thinking if the units are out by themselves they will look fine, but sitting in the engine yard with all the others they will look out of place.

Yeah, I wouldn't go by what you see in the video. It is video after all, and shot under fluorescent lighting, so if you're particular about the color, I would look at one in person first. To me, the red doesn't look maroon, but more like a weathered red that is dirty and perhaps a bit oxidized from being out in the sun for a long time.

Very nice!! I particularly like the Challenger. On the issue of the flickering lights at the club layout and not your home layout, are you running the same systems at both locations? Could it be a function of load on the systems?

Hi, thanks for watching. I use an NCE system at home, and the club uses Digitrax. Could it be some electrical load issue? I put the locos on my layout at home again after shooting the vid, and again had no problems. Also, it's interesting to note, that the F3's I have that were part of the Super Chief set came equipped with QSI sound decoders, whereby the El Capitan F7's come equipped with Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders. I think this switchover took place sometime last year. Not that that has anything to do with it necessarily. We have all makes and models of decoders running on the club layout.

Back