Vehicles You Want in Scale

Dreadnought

This thread is about vehicles you want to see in scale. There are already a great many vehicles captured in scale, but the number of vehicles produced at any point in time is truly mind-boggling, meaning that a lot of vehicles fall through the cracks. What vehicles do you wish were available in scale?

One deficiency I've noted is buses in any era. There are certainly a few good buses out there, including Rapido's fancy new one, but I think I can count on two hands the number of different types. Alternatives to the ready-to-run manufacturers, like Sylvan, produce little-to-no bus kits. Shapeways lists a total of 17 items under 'Buses' in HO scale, and some of them aren't US prototypes.

Here's a few buses I'd like to see myself; I model the transition era, so they are from around that time.

ACF-Brill Model IC-41
i006732.jpg

Aerocoach Mastercraft P-372
7678135814_e89cb62485_z.jpg

A good deal of vehicles are available for the transition era already, so it must be very difficult modeling vehicles for anyone doing anything earlier. I briefly looked into modeling the '20's or '30's, only to find the shocking paucity of vehicles from that time!

What do you all want to see in scale?

Thanks for any replies,
Dreadnought

An HO scale 1969 Ford F250 Ranger Camper Special. And it needs to have the indented red center stripe on the grille. A '68 grille on a '69 won't cut it.
And while I'm dreaming, Id like $10 million dollars.

Plain everyday American vehicles from the late 1960's thru early 70's. NOT muscle cars!

Chevrolet Belair
Chevy Nova
Oldsmobile Cutlass
Dodge Dart
Plymouth Satellite
Pontiac Bonneville

Seems like there's a huge range of vehicles for the Transition Era and almost as many for the 2000's and later. Guess I must be modeling the Forgotten Middle Era...

late 40's - early 50's FWD oilfield type trucks wjth long flatbed and with huge off road tires like for hauling big equipment. Halliburton had some monster FWD's with the cement pumps on the deck.
same year,s Autocar and International long nose trucks (photo)
I like the first bus you posted!
Berry Petroleum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
'78/'79 ford reg and supercab F150's and Bronco's.
Average cars from the early 80's.
IH Transtar 4070 cabover!

I suppose I'll give you guys an update on what I've been up to. This thread, and others, have certainly given me a lot of ideas, and I've started looking into starting a resin car kit line myself. As you may have seen in my Lima LS-1000/1200 thread in another section, I'm trying to get together a resin kit company currently. I feel that, based on feedback from this thread and similar other threads, there is a good amount of demand in this sector.

Here are some details on what I'm going to try to be doing. I still have lots to work out, such as the manufacturer, designer, etc. but I'll just give you my ideas here. The kits would be offered in both HO and N:

• Separate Chassis and Body. While not only decreasing production costs (a station wagon and sedan will have the same chassis) this makes it easier to add details to the interior, such as figures.
  • Window Glazing. A singular piece of clear resin would be included with each kit and glued to the roof to replicate glass.
  • Facelift Capability. Many kits would include a few different grilles/bumpers in order to allow facelifts to be reflected midway through the car's lifespan. For example, a 1971-1976 Chevy Impala would include a pre-1973 bumper and grill and a post-1973 bumper and grill (1973 was the year that the Federal Government required fat safety bumpers to be added to all cars). This would also allow a single kit to represent practically identical cars made by multiple manufacturers, such as the Chevy/GMC Suburban.
  • Exchangeable Chassis. Large truck kits would be sold as only the cab, with separate chassis kits being sold. This way, you would be able to buy a cab of, say, a Peterbilt Model 350 'Bubblenose', and then be able to choose a single-axle chassis or a dual-axle chassis, with different wheelbases available as well. This allows quite a lot of variability from a single cab, since trucks were almost as varied as locomotives in their setups.
  • Detail Kits. Along similar lines, kits would be sold for converting cars from civilian to, say, a police car or taxi, instead of selling a separate taxi kit. The detail kit would include appropriate details, like a siren, as well as decals. The same concept could be used for converting a regular van to a utility van, or a regular truck to a utility truck, or for turning a tractor truck into a straight truck, dump truck, etc.
  • Bulk Packages. A good amount of feedback has been that people want mid '70's or '80's automobiles for filling up autoracks or things like that. For that purpose, a bulk kit of cars would be sold that only come with one grill to reflect a certain model year.

Here's a little glimpse of the shortlist I've been putting together. Naturally, I can't hope to satisfy everyone's needs, but it seems the greatest want is late '60's-early '90's, so that's where I've focused first.

1975-1991 Ford Econoline Passenger Van
800px-83-91_Ford_Club_Wagon.jpg

Would include details for 1975-1978 model, 1979-1981 model and 1982-1991 model.

1971-1976 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
1973-chevrolet-impala-4-door-sedan-1.JPG

Would include details for pre-1973 model, and post-1973 model.

1965-1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan
609954f253fbbc800df228e0203254b9.jpg

1967-1972 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban
1971-Chevrolet-Suburban-Front.jpg

Would include optional Chevrolet or GMC branding.

1960-1963 Chevrolet/GMC C-10 Fleetside
5917419-500-0.jpg

Would include optional Chevrolet or GMC branding.

1982-1984 Honda Accord Sedan
1983Accord.jpg

1974-1976 Dodge Monaco Sedan
i375360.jpg

Here are some 'possibles':
Autocar DC-100
dc-100_20405.jpg

Both day cab and sleeper variants. Would be compatible with single axle chassis with short or long wheelbase, and dual axle chassis with short or long wheelbase. For example, the truck in the picture would be a day cab with a long wheelbase single axle chassis.

MCI MC-9
gry_764.jpg

Would include decals for several bus outfits.

That's what I would like to be able to do, anyway. I'm currently trying to get into contact with a designer, so I'll see how that goes. However, I am making no promises yet. This is simply a listing of concepts and possible products.

Tell me what you guys think of this.

Regards,
Dreadnought

I have a long wish list for 1/87 HO scale vehicles:

63 Pontiac Grand Prix
67 Plymouth Belvedere II wagon
63 Mercury Colony Park wagon
68 Ford Bronco
66 Plymouth Sport Fury
67 Ford Fairlane Ranchero
67 Dodge Coronet 500 (or RT)
67 Mercury Cougar
65 Pontiac GTO
65 Ford Thunderbird convertible
68 Plymouth Barracuda (convertible or fastback)
60 Ford Starliner
63 Ford Galaxie XL fast top
68 Chrysler 300 4 door hardtop
65 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon
64 Ford Custom 4 door police car
68 Plymouth Valiant Signet 4 door sedan
63 Ford Falcon Squire wagon
68 Mercury Cyclone fastback
67 Buick Skylark GS convertible
68 Dodge Dart GTS
early 60's Shasta camping trailer
late 60's Chrysler Charger outboard motor boat and trailer
late 60's style slide in over-the-cab camper for the Neo 68 Ford pickup or Atlas 73 Ford pickup

I suppose I'll give you guys an update on what I've been up to. This thread, and others, have certainly given me a lot of ideas, and I've started looking into starting a resin car kit line myself. As you may have seen in my Lima LS-1000/1200 thread in another section, I'm trying to get together a resin kit company currently. I feel that, based on feedback from this thread and similar other threads, there is a good amount of demand in this sector.

Here are some details on what I'm going to try to be doing. I still have lots to work out, such as the manufacturer, designer, etc. but I'll just give you my ideas here. The kits would be offered in both HO and N:

• Separate Chassis and Body. While not only decreasing production costs (a station wagon and sedan will have the same chassis) this makes it easier to add details to the interior, such as figures.
  • Window Glazing. A singular piece of clear resin would be included with each kit and glued to the roof to replicate glass.
  • Facelift Capability. Many kits would include a few different grilles/bumpers in order to allow facelifts to be reflected midway through the car's lifespan. For example, a 1971-1976 Chevy Impala would include a pre-1973 bumper and grill and a post-1973 bumper and grill (1973 was the year that the Federal Government required fat safety bumpers to be added to all cars). This would also allow a single kit to represent practically identical cars made by multiple manufacturers, such as the Chevy/GMC Suburban.
  • Exchangeable Chassis. Large truck kits would be sold as only the cab, with separate chassis kits being sold. This way, you would be able to buy a cab of, say, a Peterbilt Model 350 'Bubblenose', and then be able to choose a single-axle chassis or a dual-axle chassis, with different wheelbases available as well. This allows quite a lot of variability from a single cab, since trucks were almost as varied as locomotives in their setups.
  • Detail Kits. Along similar lines, kits would be sold for converting cars from civilian to, say, a police car or taxi, instead of selling a separate taxi kit. The detail kit would include appropriate details, like a siren, as well as decals. The same concept could be used for converting a regular van to a utility van, or a regular truck to a utility truck, or for turning a tractor truck into a straight truck, dump truck, etc.
  • Bulk Packages. A good amount of feedback has been that people want mid '70's or '80's automobiles for filling up autoracks or things like that. For that purpose, a bulk kit of cars would be sold that only come with one grill to reflect a certain model year.

Here's a little glimpse of the shortlist I've been putting together. Naturally, I can't hope to satisfy everyone's needs, but it seems the greatest want is late '60's-early '90's, so that's where I've focused first.

1974-1976 Dodge Monaco Sedan
i375360.jpg

That's what I would like to be able to do, anyway. I'm currently trying to get into contact with a designer, so I'll see how that goes. However, I am making no promises yet. This is simply a listing of concepts and possible products.

Tell me what you guys think of this.

Regards,
Dreadnought

I would love to see more 1/87 scale vehicles available (especially 60's cars and trucks). The 74 Monaco sedan is already available in 1/87 scale as a rather nicely done resin kit (if you don't mind painting and assembling). The guy that makes them, makes several American 60's-70's cars. I have bought several and they look nice, but I haven't attempted to paint and assemble them yet. I do know that Peter Rings, the guy that makes these kits is already working on a 1966 Ford Galaxie Country Squire wagon (he already stocks a 64 Country Squire in 1/87 scale). I don't believe he has any plans for sedans at this time though. His company, 87rpm models is in Germany and only takes Paypal.
http://www.dutchart-models.nl/87rpm/p-7a-1/

Here's a photo of a built and painted 74 Dodge Monaco by 87RPM Models:
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo653/dodge_monaco.php

Meanwhile, some of the vehicles you mentioned might be available 3D printed in 1/87 scale through Shapeways. The 3D printed models get the proportions and details right but are very rough and crude. With effort though, they could be a starting point for some of your models. Perhaps you could clean up the rough bodies to make molds for your resin kits.
Heres a thread that lists many of the 1/87 scale vehicles available 3d printed through Shapeways.

http://87thscale.proboards.com/thread/2061/more-new-models-9?page=11

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/vehicles/?tag=1/87

Im putting together a private airfield, and it's bloody difficult to find N-scale aircraft.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I am modeling the transition era, and although this era probably had the largest selection of vehicles, there are some that I would like to see. Late 40's and early 50's Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. Early to mid 50's Plymouths, Dodges and Mopar trucks. I have been collecting as close as possible at accurate vehicles for anything 1957 or older aqnd probably have close to 200 vehicles, but hate to see duplicate vehicles. Classic Metal Works has done a nice job coming out with 4 door sedans and station wagons which are probably the most common vehicles. Some pre war sedans would be nice also. Some heavy trucks for this period would be nice also.

Here is a quick glimpse of what I am trying to collect.

IMAG1156.jpg IMAG1158.jpg IMAG1038.jpg

I do feel bad for those modeling more modern times as there is a severe lack of vehicles available from the 60's to the present time with the exception of European vehicles.

Pick up with a Reading style set of cabinets behind the cab. Oodles and oodles of them in this area. In all sorts of colors and companies. Plumbers, electricians, utility companies. Or how about something like a Ford van, in various utility company schemes of the day. Could probably do 50 or more utilities, thru the years.

I love your idea about the kit being parts and you choose what you would like it to be from chassis to different tops. The van is a great one as I can see the chassis being the same for a pickup.

I do want to follow up more with this.

Dave

If you're talking about my post, Dhd, I'm not sure I'm talking about kits for consumers to put together, there was a time when all sorts of truck its were available from Walthers and others made of resin, but without transparent windows. I bought one or two of them, but never completed them-took too long to finish. I'm talking about a manufacturer making several variations of the same truck cab, but with different rear ends (say 3 for starters). Would be sold as finished goods, not kits. Again, the idea is to make something that could be decorated in numerous variations. Sort of like what Athearn or other manufacturers have done with many of their rolling stock models. Only thing is that unless you're either a vehicle collector, or such, most people don't get into scale vehicles until they are further into the hobby, and looking for accurate details for their layout, or module/diaorama. Oodles of plumbers electricians, carpenters, utility companies, but how many can you afford to make? That's the question I'd have.

Back