using miniatronics "Grain of Dust" lights with 163 decoders, WHAT VALUE RESISTOR?

Y3a

Stuck in the 1930's
I'm using miniatronics "Grain of Dust" lights with 163 decoders, WHAT VALUE RESISTOR should I be using? I need to use the Grain of Dust size bulbs with my steam engines. I mount them in back of an MV Lens installed in a brass headlight casting. Is 800 ohms too much? Will using a 1/2 watt resistor instead of a 1/4 watt resistor get me anything?

You can calculate the required resistor using any of the online LED calculators like http://ledcalculator.net/ . You will need to know the voltage output of your decoder function (usually 1.4 volts less than your track voltage), the voltage of the bulb and the current rating of the bulb as well.

The answer the calculator will give you will be the resistor that will drive the bulb at its maximum potential - which you probably don't want to do. In order to save stressing the bulb and make it last longer, my general rule of thumb is to take the answer and double it, then adjust to suit my own taste for brightness. The calculator will give you the absolute minimum value you can use without damaging it.

For what you are using, a 1/4 watt rating is fine, the 1/2 watt would just be that much more ability to dissipate the absorbed voltage. The wattage rating is basically the amount of heat the resistor can safely dissipate, and you won't be dissipating that much. If you are curious about the wattage, you can use this calculator with your known values .... http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html

Mark.

The Miniatronics Grain of Dust is an incandescent bulb, not an LED. 1.5 volts and 15mA. Looks like around 800 ohm resistance 1/4 watt.

Ohms law E=IR.
Assume max voltage from Digitrax 16V.
16V - 1.4V for the lamp = 14.6V
14.6V = 0.015A * R so R = 14.6V / 0.015A or 974 ohms. I would use a 1K.

Will using a 1/2 watt resistor instead of a 1/4 watt resistor get me anything?
No.
Watts law W = EI
so 16V * 0.015A = 0.24W

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohms law E=IR.
Assume max voltage from Digitrax 16V.
16V - 1.4V for the lamp = 14.6V
14.6V = 0.015A * R so R = 14.6V / 0.015A or 974 ohms. I would use a 1K.

No.
Watts law W = EI
so 16V * 0.015A = 0.24W

Not to pick nits but in the interest of accuracy the wattage dissipated by the resistor would be the current through the resistor times the voltage across the resistor - in your example that would be 14.6V not 16.0V.

Not to pick nits.
Nits and technical accuracy are good as long as they don't obfuscate the over all message. It is always my hope that others with similar issues will read these threads and learn from them, so this was a very good nit. :)

I bought some 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistors at the 'shack' and they work just fine. Thanks for the numerous replies!

Back