Union Pacific water tender

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

bigford

loco junkie
i think the only water tank is from overland in brass and
there hard to find... i know there is a 3 peice turbine set
in N scale i'm trying to get but the end price is always to high $780.00

Last edited by a moderator:

julienjj

Noodle is good
No, the challenger (up version) used a centipede from the very start.
I saw the athearn tender at our OP session and it was nicely detailed.

i have the con-cor N turbine and it's just like the athearn's
a short round tank car. I wish somebody would make the right car in N
os remake the brass one again for alot less

julienjj

Noodle is good
The round tender is right, they only used the converted tender with the first generation of turbine, after that they got the round one, that still have the Vanderbilt truck

Hi,
As other members have said the tender in your photo is from the UP 3-unit 8,500 hp Turbines and the tenders from the previous Turbines are different.
The 3-unit tender ends are angled to clear the Turbine exhaust from the second unit.
Tower 55 advertised that they were to make a plastic version some years ago and when the plastic models were taken over by Athearn I think they said that they would produce the 3-unit turbine in the future.
Given that they have made the Standard and Veranda Turbines with separately available tenders they may make 3-unit tenders available but dont hold your breath as Standard and Verandas ran without tenders in the early days, 3-units never ran without a tender.
I was intersted to see the comments about the Overland 3-unit Turbines and especially their value. I bought one of these this year in brass (not painted) for £400 ($633).
Regards,
Colin.

julienjj

Noodle is good
I just ordered the athearn tender, I will post some picture when i receive it, maybe there is a way to kitbash it with a vanderbilt tender. If its not the case, not much people will know its the wrong tender :D

Bigford,
Forgot to mention, mine is H0 scale.
Both A & B units are powered.
Got it out yesterday and found one of the axleboxes was loose !!!
Had to dismantle it this morning and re-solder the little plate that holds the box into the bogie frame. If you get one I should check these although I don't know if the N scale version uses the same construction but it may be similar.
Colin.

I just ordered the athearn tender, I will post some picture when i receive it, maybe there is a way to kitbash it with a vanderbilt tender. If its not the case, not much people will know its the wrong tender :D
The round tank Athearn tender is completely different from your original pic. That tender has a square body, except for the angled ends.:). You might see if you can find a similarly shaped UP coal tender and kitbash that, or just run the Athearn tender as is and be happy with a "stand in". We've all got a few of those! :D

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com