Union Pacific Age Discrimination!

toddmc09

:D Hey I applied to work for the UP as a train crew member, and they turned me down becuase I am too old! How can you be to old to work on the railroad??? Im only 42. All the pictures always show an old engineer with a beard! Thats Me! Wheres my lawyers phone number?

In these hard times it's going to be harder & harder to find a job if your over 32 yrs old. It's always like that when companies have a large hiring base of unemployed. They(co.'s) always take chances w/age. They usually don't say "your tooo old", but, say come back next week & they hire a younger guy or gal standing right behind you.
Wait till you get in your 50's & 60's you ain't seen nothing yet. At my age of 70 forget it, no matter how much experience you have in a certain field you're to old.
Last week the local RR had an opening on the dinner train & 430 people showed up for the job. You know the one that's 18 yrs. old got the job because they will work for minimum wage. Now, lets get back to trains you-all. LOL

In Canada you cannot be refused employment on the basis of these proscribed attributes: sex, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or ethnicity. You may be refused employment where predetermined bona fide operational requirements preclude employment of certain people due to the inherent risks to safety and health, not necessarily of the person applying but to those who may depend on that person's ability to work safely effectively. This would include, as examples, physical disability or education.

If you are refused employment in Canada solely on the basis of any of the proscribed attributes mentioned at the outset, you will have a case with the Human Rights Commission.

I would think you might have a case against UP, but your own laws will be the determinant, and even then the absolute determinant is what your Supreme Court decides it should be.

-Crandell

:)Thanks Selector and the rest, I appreciate the backup, I really am not that disappointed and was kind of kidding, but it is good to know that there are laws out there to protect us from this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I applied about a month and a half ago. There are no listings for train crew now, just mecahnics, claims adjustors, signal maintainers and a few others, I think they are having trouble getting manager types jobs filled. Plenty of labor workers available. Job openings are in Texas, Nebraska, Utah and so on.

Age discrimination laws are all well and good. However trying to prove the act of discrimination is another matter. I'm one of those that would rather hire an older worker with experience and a proven record. However hiring some younger workers to assist the older workers while learning the job is smart too.

My pet peeve is that the military reserve won't accept me because I'm 47. Yet, I'm in better shape than many current military reserve folks. They keep raising the upper age limit, but it's never quite enough to reach me. Ah well. :(

Oddly enough, we have a guy working as a police officer who's 58, and just hired...

The prison system here in Arcadia will hire you at 62 yrs. as long as your in good physical condition. The guys that work there now are a long way from good physical condition. Prisons always need help & they pay pretty good & have lots of benefits.

Crandell, those laws exist here in the US as well, but most HR people are clever enough to work around them. Trying to prove you weren't hired because of any of them is near impossible when making a claim with the Feds, at least without proof they hired someone with lesser qualifications. The only exceptions to this is any case that the ACLU or other like organizations would get involved in. Then HR might sweat a bit. ;)

Back