Under the lake

I'm only a beginner but I did a mock up water scene before building my layout. I can tell you that I used Plaster of Paris and used WS Deep Pour water and was happy with it. I'm afraid I don't have any pics of the mock up though.

I also used Plaster of Paris, with Modge-Podge in a couple of layers. Of course, I painted the plaster with latex-based paint for color.

Any plaster will work, even wall patching compound if you have some lying around and you'd love to put it to use. Just make darned good'n sure there are no pinholes or gaps once it dries...which gypsum-based compounds are wont to do. One way to help to seal it if there are very tiny holes is to paint it. You pretty much have to do that anyway to create the different depth tones, so just slather it liberally with cheap Plaid brand acrylic craft paints blended to look right (Walmart).

BTW, a pinch of the same compound in your 'water' will help to make it seem opaque or turbid, which a lot of water in nature is. Water is almost never really clear, although I have canoed across some water in northern Ontario that could have been calcium flourite crystal for all I knew. Most water has some growth and salinity and other dissolved solids that add up and make it a bit greenish, turbid, or opaque. I also add a single drop, in a cup of pour material, whatever the water is, of craft paints in at least two colours: Hauder Green and simple yellow. This combination makes the water look a lot like the flow in the Thompson River in southern British Columbia.

index.php

The angle in this actual Thompson photo is low angle, so there's more sky blue reflected, but you get the idea:

index.php

Back