Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Thanks Guys

Having looked at the options (or rather lack of them) for loud speakers, I decided to make my own. The body comes from scouring a stationary supplier catalogue for cheap pens with the right shaped nibs. In the end cheap-o paper mate propelling pencils fitted the bill so these were my 'victims'.

I cut the end off and drilled the middle out, some 0.7mm wire in the middle and a section of Colin Craig etched ladder sides for the mount. To give a sence of scale the pole its mounted too is 1mm wide.

speaker.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Sticking with lamp-posts for a minute. Some of them had boxes on them that I think are phone boxes. For use by the train crew or departures staff I dunno. I had some from a knightwing pack and started off using a couple. However it bugged me a bit and I decided I could do something a bit better from scraps (also fancied doing something a bit fiddly/daft again!)

phone%20boxes.jpg

On the left - Knightwing version. In the middle my version and on the right, if I am making my own why not one with the door left open? the box is shaped from 3mm square strip/

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Its rare that I buy something for the layout that I think "i can just plonk that straight on" but these are just one of those items.

unit%20models%20gpo%20boxes.jpg

GPO boxes from unit models - see http://www.unitmodels.com/ for more of their relatively unknown stuff.

I fancied something a bit different and inspired by this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...ng/page__p__270430__fromsearch__1#entry270430 I decided to have a go at the sculpture above the gateway. The building itself is a long way off yet but this is what I came up with

proof%20house%20sculpture.jpg

Using layers of paper and plasticote suede paint. Its 40mm across.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

The other afternoon I built a couple of street lamps -

streetlamp%201.jpg

streetlamp%202.jpg

Built from 0.6mm. 1mm and 1.6mm metal tube with the base from 1/8th Plastruct. The head is shaped from microstrip and the access panel from paper.

Regular visitors will know that because the layout is set in the day, I dont need the lights to work however I fancied a working one to match the one above. Of course the finished item had to look identical so -

lamp%20workings.jpg

The inner workings, A surface mount LED soldered to the 0.6mm tube with a single strand of coated wire fed down the middle.

street%20lamp%20lit.jpg

The finished lamp as lit. I am assuming that one lamp has gone a but wrong and will stay on!

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

A few more items of smaller street furniture.

temp%20bus%20stop.jpg

The temporary bus stop uses the middle of an EFE wheel as its base, copying the real things.

Cheers

Jim

jim smith-wright

Your work is simply amazing.

Excellent modeling by any standards

Thanks for keeping this thread up dated.

I truly enjoy seeing your work

Syl

Thanks Guys

A couple of in progress pics of the fiddleyard follow. There are some BIG points in the fiddleyard. Over 4ft long

storageyard1030april09c.jpg

storageyard930april09co.jpg

These 2 images are copyright Tim Horn

Since these were taken all the track in the fiddleyard is finished and wired - we are planning a full test of it in May.

Jim

Hi all

I have for a while been meaning to model the large brackets the bridges of Hill St and Naviagation street sit on.

bridge%20supports%20on%203.jpg

As I need 8 of them I thought it best to design a little etch.

bridge%20support%201.jpg

The above shows the 2 parts assembled.

bridge%20support%202.jpg

The completed bracket

bridge%20support%203.jpg

And again, sat on a penny for scale.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

most of my platform lamps are different in one way or another. Some have no extra bits, some have Phones, some HST stop signs and some loadspeakers or combinations of some/all

platform%20lamps.jpg

the one at the front of the layout has all 3 - makes a change for the complex one not the be hidden by something else! A little etch for the folding base thing!

platform%20lamp%20final.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hi all

I have for a while been meaning to model the large brackets the bridges of Hill St and Naviagation street sit on.

bridge%20supports%20on%203.jpg

Jim

What are the actual dimension of those things? Must be one huge box end wrench to tighten that!

That cable that runs across the picture would be a pretty neat detail. Any idea what it's used for?

Hi Ian

I reckon the base is 2ft square. The 'foot' to the right of the picture is the base of one of the overhead gantries. The cable is its earth cable.

HTH

Jim

Thanks Jim. I figured the foot would be bigger than that if it's in part supporting a bridge ... still a pretty big nut there :)

Earth grounds for cranes - now that would be a neat detail...

That bracket is a fantastic little detail piece Jim, your work fascinates me no end, i love OLE, it's been under represented for years now and this project will make it all worth the wait. hope to see you at the shows ;)

Back