Troubles....

BCK RR

All ,

Having some electrical issues with the house , neighbors contractor did not call " 1-800 DIG SAFE" or whatever that phone No. is before he dug a hole in my neighbors yard he just assumed ... my power line is buried and runs underneath the shared driveway, ! now I have to have everything re routed this means no train running ! DAMN Him!

BCK RR

Ouch, 2 things - 1. loosing power due to someone elses negligence would peeve me off to the max, and 2. Wouldn't want to be that contractor ... is going to cost him (financially at least) for not making a simple phone call.

I don't know where you are, but here - if something like what you describes happens, the power company (and a not very happy power company) comes in and fixes it. I think here whoever causes the problem can face some pretty hefty fines as well.

Hope you get it all resolved quickly though.

I cut a dig line once.... fiber optics...... $955 big ones.....

In my defense they marked the phone line but not the fiber line. Still my fault somehow

Ouch, 2 things - 1. loosing power due to someone elses negligence would peeve me off to the max, and 2. Wouldn't want to be that contractor ... is going to cost him (financially at least) for not making a simple phone call.

I don't know where you are, but here - if something like what you describes happens, the power company (and a not very happy power company) comes in and fixes it. I think here whoever causes the problem can face some pretty hefty fines as well.

Hope you get it all resolved quickly though.
Tony , I'm at the other end of the State.. a half hour from ALBANY, NY

BCK RR

Darn, someone from NY! Duh, probably should have read your info - I know where you are, I'd go through there to Lake George when ever I visited Saratoga Springs.

Why doesn't that come as surprise ... :(

If this guy was a "proper contractor" surely your neighbors, who employed him must know who he is, contact details etc. I'd report the incident to your Home Owners Insurance, naming this moron as the person responsible, and they "should" go after his insurance.

By the same token, if he is a registered electrical contractor he must have Public Liability insurance, or whatever the hell it is called. If you can find that, you can put it all through his insurance.

Of course, you could get nasty and submit a report of criminal damage, depending on the over all cost to repair the damage. Might be something the Sheriff's might look into.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I have renters insurance and when we where looking to buy home owners. I would recommend a call to better business bureau.

You have to ask the other homeowner to effect the proper/verified/approved repairs to your service. If he balks, sue him. Otherwise, you are on the hook for the deductible for your insurance if you choose to go that route, and you may face higher premiums if you claim. Failing insurance, you must eat the costs yourself.

You have to ask the other homeowner to effect the proper/verified/approved repairs to your service. If he balks, sue him. Otherwise, you are on the hook for the deductible for your insurance if you choose to go that route, and you may face higher premiums if you claim. Failing insurance, you must eat the costs yourself.
Crandell, I don't dare ask he's a STATE Trooper , I'm pretty tight with him and his family... I don't want to be that kind of neighbor- PORKY!

BCK RR

Crandell, I don't dare ask he's a STATE Trooper , I'm pretty tight with him and his family... I don't want to be that kind of neighbor- PORKY!

BCK RR

Don't want to be that kind of neighbor? Geeze, the guy hired someone to do a job for him and ends up damaging your stuff. Putting in an insurance claim against his homeowners insurance doesn't mean ya have to be at odds with him. Home owners insurance is for those "accidents" that happen. This isn't Mexico were everyone has to run away and hide when they get in a car accident.

Agree whole heartedly with Ken.

State Trooper and neighbor or not, that's pretty much irrelevant. If he was a decent neighbor, he'd be offering to get your problem fixed as it was "his" contractor who caused the problem. I'll bet a nickel to a dime that he'll be using his home owners to cover the repairs (if any) to his property.

If you are that tight with this guy, the neighbor, you "should be able" t sit down with him and let him know what you think WITHOUT jeopardizing the friendship.

Bottom line to me is, while I don't believe anyone should be held responsible for the actions of others, responsibility does get passed down the line. It is that contractors who SHOULD be paying the cost of repairs, or his insurance if he has any, followed by the person who hired him.

I just turned 63. At my stage of life, I'm not going to lie down.

State trooper, lawyer, physician, priest....if they have cost me peace of mind or cash for me to restore the way of life I have crafted carefully to this point, I would oblige them to make me 'whole'. At my more advanced stage of mental and experiential development, it would be incumbent upon me to teach them something about being a good neighbour that they don't seem to understand at the moment.

I would, of course, do it nicely. At first. If they attempted to stonewall me, perhaps hoping or suspecting that I might not be keen to press my advantage of rectitude in the matter, that would be the first illusion I would tackle....for them. I couldn't go through life with any self-esteem knowing I had caved to someone who should know better, and who now thinks I am another in a long list of people he can tell to go sit in a corner.

I just turned 63. At my stage of life, I'm not going to lie down.

State trooper, lawyer, physician, priest....if they have cost me peace of mind or cash for me to restore the way of life I have crafted carefully to this point, I would oblige them to make me 'whole'. At my more advanced stage of mental and experiential development, it would be incumbent upon me to teach them something about being a good neighbour that they don't seem to understand at the moment.

I would, of course, do it nicely. At first. If they attempted to stonewall me, perhaps hoping or suspecting that I might not be keen to press my advantage of rectitude in the matter, that would be the first illusion I would tackle....for them. I couldn't go through life with any self-esteem knowing I had caved to someone who should know better, and who now thinks I am another in a long list of people he can tell to go sit in a corner.

Ditto to that Selector ... 110%!

X3^
Sounds like the 'contractor' was an uninsured hack. In PA the state will come after you if you do that.

Have you spoken to your own home insurer about this, or indeed your utility provider. Seems to me that if you are not confident of your neighbour acting responsibly (have you spoken to him about it yet?), then you need to put it in the hands of someone that does have the clout to get the matter resolved. While this is a difficult situation, being a dispute between friends, if he does not come to the party, then the friendship is as good as dead anyway. Remember, in the legal world there is always a time limit between an event occurring and taking action to set things right i.e. "time is of the essence".

Back