Trains of thought

Kentkat

Going out on a limb here but I would invite some input. My 1st N scale layout plan was to use Kato Unitrack double track mainline. I am 2nd guessing that design as I finish up my benchwork. I am not clear on how easy it is to branch off the main line with anything other than unitrack. From what I can find online it appears Unitrack is somewhat limiting on the pieces that are available. Would I be better served to consider 1) using a product other than Unitrack 2) running 2 separate tracks as the double track mainline? Thank you in advance for reading my post and any input you may offer!
Kent

This is your first layout, so naturally, you are having second thoughts.

Although I model in "HO", "N" is no different.

What is the total size of your layout? Do you have additional space available to you to expand? These are all very significant things you need to know.

KATO Uni-track is a very high quality product. There is a lot you can do with it, once you learn the various components and their purpose. Yes, you can branch off the main with other than Uni-track, but the other track needs to fit in. Yeah, you can give up on Uni-track and try something else, but if you don't understand what you are working with and you limitations, your result will be the same.

Take a step backward, look at what you have, and think about what you want. There are numerous U-tube videos to watch, to gain insight.

You don’t even need the Kato conversion track if you don’t want to.

My first Ho scale layout, I used Unitrack, When I started switching over to Atlas code 83, I removed the Unijoiners, and slid on code 83 rail joiners (Unitrack is code 83 rail in HO). I made up several of these conversion tracks to slowly change over to flex track. The height of the plastic roadbed is a perfect height for the cork roadbed. The same principal applies to N scale.

As you will find out, there are a lot of ways to achieve the same result in this hobby.

IMG_1054.jpeg

Last edited:
Going out on a limb here but I would invite some input. My 1st N scale layout plan was to use Kato Unitrack double track mainline. I am 2nd guessing that design as I finish up my benchwork. I am not clear on how easy it is to branch off the main line with anything other than unitrack. From what I can find online it appears Unitrack is somewhat limiting on the pieces that are available. Would I be better served to consider 1) using a product other than Unitrack 2) running 2 separate tracks as the double track mainline? Thank you in advance for reading my post and any input you may offer!
Kent
I use Kato unit track and have successfully interfaced it with minitrix track. As long as it's code80 there should not be a problem. You can remove the "unijoiner" and pop the metal coupler out with a couple of pointed sticks pressing left and right from underneath. All you need is the right height to support what it's connecting to, no adapter required.
PS Kato also do bedless flex track.
PPS unitrack is also fairly forgiving over a long run.. for example if you had a loop with 2 straights, one straight could be a fair bit shorter than the other before it causes an issue, as all the joints offer a little flexibility.
On my layout I am able to "offset" a section of straight track to at least a cm or two over say 4-5 straight bits

Last edited:
I use Kato unit track and have successfully interfaced it with minitrix track. As long as it's code80 there should not be a problem. You can remove the "unijoiner" and pop the metal coupler out with a couple of pointed sticks pressing left and right from underneath. All you need is the right height to support what it's connecting to, no adapter required.
PS Kato also do bedless flex track.
PPS unitrack is also fairly forgiving over a long run.. for example if you had a loop with 2 straights, one straight could be a fair bit shorter than the other before it causes an issue, as all the joints offer a little flexibility.
On my layout I am able to "offset" a section of straight track to at least a cm or two over say 4-5 straight bits
Good info, thank you. I was hoping to hear from someone that had experience with Unitrack.

Good info, thank you. I was hoping to hear from someone that had experience with Unitrack.
Yes it's good stuff, I am glad I chose it for my dive into nscale after a 30 year break from model railroading. The track is very high quality and you can take it apart and back together as many times as you like without damaging the couplers. I researched it and they offer the most "possibility" of all the "bedded" track options out there. Definitely better than bachmann stay away from that. It is more expensive which is the only thing I can fault, but you can soon appreciate why it is.

BTW, I was back home tonight so can show you. This is how flexible kato track is, the curves are almost as forgiving too. All this wiggling yet the unijoiners stay solidly locked to the track, no slippage or bending of the metal part of the coupler.
Of course it is best if you can plan for "almost right" but as you can see, there is a lot of give. You can even custom length it with some care & a bit of hacking with a dremmel (...and a deep breath, as you would rather not have to!)

Last edited:

Back