Trains.com

The new generation may well go for that but its a sad substitute for a real model railroad. There's no creativity involved. Half the fun of modeling is imagining the trains and scenery and then bringing it to life. Times are changing though...
Valid point for sure.
On the upside, exposure to this venue of the hobby may lead to real life interest of prototype and model railroading.
I look at it as another entrance into the rabbit hole. 🤣
As an example, this game has cost me a few drinks and hours. Now my interest in switching has increased.o_O:)

Inglenook Shunting​

Thanks to "Hutch" for initially sharing this game!

While many of us would never give up model railroads, a sea change is coming. This is the future of model railroads, whether we like it or not. Far less expensive (they already have a gaming computer) and takes no space.

I believe you are 100% correct....unfortunately. Actual modeling will become diorama building and display at most for them.
I think there are several major reasons.

1.Cost - They already have the computer. All they need is to buy the subscription.

2.Cost II - No lumber to buy, no benchwork to build, no need for tools or workspace, no need for engines, rolling stock, or scenery materials or structures. No need for anything just log on and go.

2.Space - Lack of space is just a reality for a lot of them

3. Time - Lack of free time or patience to build. It can be had with a few key strokes.

Valid point for sure.
On the upside, exposure to this venue of the hobby may lead to real life interest of prototype and model railroading.
I look at it as another entrance into the rabbit hole. 🤣
As an example, this game has cost me a few drinks and hours. Now my interest in switching has increased.o_O:)

Inglenook Shunting​

Thanks to "Hutch" for initially sharing this game!

That's an interesting thought. If software like Bob posted could be a mini time warp (like most of our model railroads are) it might be more fun. I wonder if running computer generated trains on a recreation of a real, historic railroad would be attractive to any younger folks today. There could even be a way to present historic info about the places, trains, events, etc. on the screen if anyone was actually interested in that.

I believe you are 100% correct....unfortunately. Actual modeling will become diorama building and display at most for them.
I think there are several major reasons.

1.Cost - They already have the computer. All they need is to buy the subscription.

2.Cost II - No lumber to buy, no benchwork to build, no need for tools or workspace, no need for engines, rolling stock, or scenery materials or structures. No need for anything just log on and go.

2.Space - Lack of space is just a reality for a lot of them

3. Time - Lack of free time or patience to build. It can be had with a few key strokes.
I got tired of not building.I also disliked the editors among other problems,

It loads really slow for me too. I think they need a bigger server.
I looked into their website when we were having problems. Like others, I did not recognize it from the familiar things of a few years ago when I did some contribution.

I always had problems posting photos, had to come off another server so I had to set up that nonsense first. I got that done then every post took 24 hours to verify. To top it off, the thread I was commenting on got hijacked by model airplane enthusiasts and went totally off the rails. One of the main things I wanted to do was promote my youtube channel as well, but I was unable to do that even subtly, however there were many other social media things they allowed/showcased. I will not be spending much time over there.

I used to post pics and videos, but could not find that anymore. I remember they had a rating thing that was kind of funky, glad they dropped that (at least I think they did).

Dave LASM

so iam curiouse iam looking for a good modelrailroad magazine, yes i like printed magazines. and i would like to have a US themed magazine, overhere in switzerland we dont have them really. so my question is, what magazine would you recommend? (h0 scale mostly)

Railroad model craftsman

Seconded, Railroad Model Craftsman is the best I have found. I actually got into it after acquiring an old issue from 1985 which led me to acquire the then current issue at the end of last year. After some searching in the UK where availability of overseas mags is at best patchy (and having said that, even UK based hobby mag availability has become very poor in just the last few months) I took out a subscription direct from the publishers.

There is also Model Railroader but it is nowhere near the quality of RMC, I only dip into that on the odd occasion I can actually find a copy over the counter.

MRR May 2024 one of the best issues in years!

The website difficult to navigate. I went to the track plan database looking for an older (late 70s) plan for Mann's Creek searched and searched using many different key words and then just gave up.

I've been a model kit builder since I was 8, that's going on a decade now. At one time I was subscribed to Finescale Modeler. After a while I noticed that the magazine and "reader's builds" sections were getting smaller, and when they sent me a notification that they were cutting two physical issues per year I was livid. I unsubscribed, and have not regretted it one bit. Not only we're the prices more expensive, but they were cutting TWO ENTIRE ISSUES. As of now I am a Trains.com subscriber, and mainly use it for the archives. Kalmbach is always complaining that they don't get any business when they're the ones who are actively reducing the quality of the magazines for readers.

MRR May 2024 one of the best issues in years!

The website difficult to navigate. I went to the track plan database looking for an older (late 70s) plan for Mann's Creek searched and searched using many different key words and then just gave up.
Searching for things on that site is a joke

The problem I see with trainz (never seen it be honest) is that the people that are using it. Think they are model railroaders but unless you get glue on your fingers, plaster dried on your hands, or actually build something with your hands, you’re not a model railroader.

Model railroading is so much more than just running trains. To me, it gets your imagination going to where you create things, you learn carpentry, wiring, geology, and you also learn which is the best part for me, togetherness (clubs, forums, round robins, people coming together to laugh together, learn from each other and have a great time enjoying the best hobby there ever is or will be (in my humble opinion).

Building a model is not only enjoyable but also lets you unwind from work, and just flat out makes you feel good when you complete a project and it’s something you can share with others and be proud of what you created.

Don’t matter wether it’s a car, structure, scenery, or that batch of trees you just made, you just feel good about yourself.

Happy modeling everyone!!

The problem I see with trainz (never seen it be honest) is that the people that are using it. Think they are model railroaders but unless you get glue on your fingers, plaster dried on your hands, or actually build something with your hands, you’re not a model railroader.

Model railroading is so much more than just running trains. To me, it gets your imagination going to where you create things, you learn carpentry, wiring, geology, and you also learn which is the best part for me, togetherness (clubs, forums, round robins, people coming together to laugh together, learn from each other and have a great time enjoying the best hobby there ever is or will be (in my humble opinion).

Building a model is not only enjoyable but also lets you unwind from work, and just flat out makes you feel good when you complete a project and it’s something you can share with others and be proud of what you created.

Don’t matter wether it’s a car, structure, scenery, or that batch of trees you just made, you just feel good about yourself.

Happy modeling everyone!!
I'd go as far as saying any model building hobby is about the people. From plastic kits to railroading, from wooden sailing ships to dollhouses. It doesn't matter what you model, as long as it excites YOU. At the end of the day, we're all one big (mostly happy) family who enjoys creating miniature versions of our world.

I also agree where RMC magazine is concerned, and for the first time in my life I am considering subscribing to one. There's nothing like print in hand--I can read 'em and look at all the pretty pictures in the bathtub. Can't do that with (a desktop) PC. Can't make toast in there either.

Not sure about using a laptop though.

Mainline Modeler was top notch stuff in its day, and I still have every issue.* Fantastic drawing and research, that magazine, but it's gone now.

(* You can buy the entire MM collection on DVD for just $80 from the B&O Railroad Historical Society, btw. Not sure how well those drawings come through after undergoing digital compression though.)

Ken (?), who still has the Youtube channel "djstrains," and who is a CSX engineer in real life has pointed out more than once that real railroaders get paid to railroad...and he's right. If you could model everything (you can) to scale on your PC, then eight hours of running mileage would take eight hours, and most people would tire of doing it. It'd be much better to use the same sort of selective compression even in a virtual universe...and many would still get tired of it. Twitch games are probably more fun for most people than are even virtual railroads...or submarine sims...or trucking simulators. Even racing sims, which are a lot more twitchy than most driving sims still cut things short. We tried a 24 hours of Le Mans a few times, but almost every team was gone in the first few hours: A 2.4 hours of Le Mans is a lot more accessible.

[I once ran a Six Hours of Watkins Glen, where I ended up driving a single stint of five hours. Lost nine pounds in five hours. :D Finished second.]

To my way of thinking there are model railroaders and virtual model railroaders. A lot of crossover between the two. And most any model railroad/train show is packed...but that wouldn't happen every day if they were open every day. The San Diego Model Railroad Museum has consistent traffic, sure, but it's rare in that regard--most others probably don't.

My two cents.

I looked into their website when we were having problems. Like others, I did not recognize it from the familiar things of a few years ago when I did some contribution.

I always had problems posting photos, had to come off another server so I had to set up that nonsense first. I got that done then every post took 24 hours to verify. To top it off, the thread I was commenting on got hijacked by model airplane enthusiasts and went totally off the rails. One of the main things I wanted to do was promote my youtube channel as well, but I was unable to do that even subtly, however there were many other social media things they allowed/showcased. I will not be spending much time over there.

I used to post pics and videos, but could not find that anymore. I remember they had a rating thing that was kind of funky, glad they dropped that (at least I think they did).

Dave LASM
Sounds like I should send them a thank you letter for making this place look so much better! :)

I have a question for all of you. I've been a subscriber to MR for many years and but decided to unsubscribe since I wasn't really getting much from it in the way I use to years back.
I suppose I will always retain my subscription, just to support the hobby if nothing else.

Iut I was a member of MRVP and loved it. Then they decided to go with trains.com and when it first came out, sorry but it sucked. For me I couldn't find my way around it to see the things I was following before with MRVP.
I don't do videos so I never subscribed to that and so obviously cannot provide anything aobut the new one.

As to the resulting conversation about the site on the other side of the tracks, for some reason I visited over there about a month ago. Saw the same old snooty-know-it-all picking apart other folks posts on the one hand, and totally ignoring major issues with their own. So I said, "I see nothing has changed over here" and left. Too bad one or two bad apples have to ruin it, and too bad we can't get the good folks from over there to come over here.

Ken (?), who still has the Youtube channel "djstrains," and who is a CSX engineer in real life has pointed out more than once that real railroaders get paid to railroad...and he's right. If you could model everything (you can) to scale on your PC, then eight hours of running mileage would take eight hours, and most people would tire of doing it.
I've always said that too. There is a reason real railroads have to pay people to do this stuff. And I ignored my own advice and bought the Microsoft Trains Simulator. Gag, sitting there 8 hours at a keyboard cab going across Montana, pressing the "I'm still awake" button.....

[I once ran a Six Hours of Watkins Glen, where I ended up driving a single stint of five hours. Lost nine pounds in five hours. :D Finished second.]
In real or the sim. I assume real since you lost weight. Later this month I finally got some track time (2 days) at Charlotte Motor speedway. Been itching to get my car on a real track for a long time. On the road, I push the gas pedal and 3 seconds later I'm over the speed limit. Ooops...

most any model railroad/train show is packed...but that wouldn't happen every day if they were open every day.
Agree there too. Traffic on model railroads is 100 times that of almost any prototypical situation.

The other thing is that on model railroads we most often model the rare, unique, and interesting things rather than the more normal mundane day-to-day common things.

Back