Train Set Reccomendations

RogersCG

My young son LOVES trains. We have a decent size Lionel O scale train we setup and run under the tree for Christmas but we don't have the room to leave it up all year. He has quite a bit of Thomas stuff and a train table in his room. I'd like to get something for him we can setup and run during the year. He is only three and a half so I understand he is a bit young to get into any serious modeling or to run trains unsupervised at this point. I also understand he could and quite possibly might destroy what ever we end up getting him. So, all that being said, he got a nice little sum of money over Christmas and all he wants to do is go to the "train store" and get a choo-choo. He really wants the Polar Express O scale train but we don't have that much money or room at this point. I'm thinking something in HO we can put on the standard 4X8 or so in the garage. I am also thinking something until the garage can be setup that can run on the floor of the living room so probably something with a track with built in roadbed. We have 100-200 dollars to spend at this point. I think a set of some sort might be best but I really don't want to buy anything that performs poorly. I've read very mixed reviews on Bachmann. Any toughts?

Thanks!
Chris

Bachmann has gotten better from what I hear. Their starter sets seem to be decent quality. If you take good care of them they will run fine. There are exceptions to everything of course so you may get a bad unit no matter who you go with. I would probably choose another manufacturer over bachmann but I definitely wouldn't rule them out.

In the 70's Bachmann was known for "el cheapo train set quality".

They have worked hard to improve both product quality and warrantee and even thirdly image and even fourthly details more like real life.

I have several Bachmann DCC OnBoard {separate} locos and they are great. Only one growls at slow speeds.

Bachmann has a great warrantgee program..even if out of warrantee, if you damaged it, or whatever...they can fix or replace, even if you have to send a nominal fee to cover it.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php will give you the info.

Their trian sets may still lack some detail, and the cars are likely to be "pressed cars" lacking in some details, but still should serve your purpose unless you want to buy separate pieces and put a set together.
Here is a site with B sets:
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/HOProducts2.asp?Scale=HO&Item=160Set
There are even DCC controlled sets!

{Now you have to decide between plain DC and DCC control}

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!!!
:)

Thanks for the info guys. He really wants a steam engine but in looking at what is available in the sets I think they might be just too fragile for him. I am leaning to the Athearn Warbonnet set... Reviews that I can find seem to be pretty good and it looks like it can handle a younger boy a little better... If he treats it well maybe I can put together his own HO Polar Express come next Christmas!

This is the one I am thinking about:

https://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200518541

Thanks again!
Chris

Looks like a good choice. The gray EZ-Track has nickel silver rails, as opposed to the black EZ-Track that has steel. Nickel silver is MUCH easier to keep clean, and it wont spark nearly as bad as steel rails will!
Ya done good!;)

That looks like a good starter set.
As mentioned {and we forgot to tell you earlier} it has the gray roadbed with the NS rails.
It is A DC set. But you can always upgrade to DCC with your next set IF you decide to go that route.
Right now there is no Polar express in HO scale unless you put one together yourself.
Have a GREAT New Year!!!
:)

Back