Track plans??

Would taking the 4' x 8' and cutting it into 1' wide by 8' and using it as a shelf railroad around the room help?

I'm considering one simular to what loud music's link looks like... I like the layout! thanks! I like one to be able to run a couple of trains and would allow switching.

To timlange3's point, if you took a sheet of plywood and cut it into four 1'x8' strips and made four table that you then bolted together in a 9'x9' square you could potentially have a MUCH more interesting layout, and it could still be portable. More so in fact because it could be carried in separate pieces, or 2'x8' stacked 2 on top of 2, or heck, even four high 1'x8'.

Check out Heart of Georgia RR for inspiration.

http://hogrr.blogspot.com/

It's certainly more construction and planning, but with a little effort could be HIGHLY rewarding as comparison to a typical 4x8 setup. And honestly doesn't take up a lot more room than 4x8 considering a modular setup could go into a corner and doesn't need any walk around space on the outside, like a 4x8 would need on at least the long sides, which pushes the required space out quite a bit.

The modular one would be easier to store because the sections could be stacked, table top up, when not in use into a space no bigger than 1x8. But a 4x8 almost certainly has to be laid on its side or raised on a lift system to the ceiling or just continue to take up 4x8 of space.

So much to think about! Oh my! What to do what to do!

I am looking to build a layout like this for my son. We have limited space, and currently we're using EZ-Track. It's a pain for us to set it up and take it down every time (for him to do the work; for me to hear him complain about taking it apart when it's done). A layout that could be built in 4' x 4' or 4' x 2' sections that can be stacked for storage and only needs a couple of pieces of track to complete would be great. I'm going to run the layout in this thread past my construction supervisor and see if it's something she'll tolerate.

any one have any good track plan ideas for a portable 4x8?
If you go the 4x8 route, a better question might be if there are any good track plans for Bachmann EZ-track. It is much less configurable than many of the 4x8 plans available allow for. I would be surprised if Bachmann doesn't have some sort of catalog of them over on their site.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm building a portable or permanent layout for him, I'm not going to use EZ Track. He wants to run his trains, he's going to help lay the track. Planning to go with Atlas Code 83 stuff, it's affordable, and easy to get.

If you subscribe to Model Railroader you have access to their layout library online. You can bring up all the 4X8s and see what works for you. I think you'll find more 4X8s for HO than anything else.

How to fit an HO layout in a 9x13 room that still needs to have a bed and bookcases in it. Original plan was to do a plain old 4x8 layout...then that changed to a 'modular' layout that would be 7x5 and hollow on the inside. Continuous running and 22" minimum curves are a must. Now I'm thinking a shelf-type layout with bumpouts on each end to accommodate the turnback loops.

If I'm building a portable or permanent layout for him, I'm not going to use EZ Track. He wants to run his trains, he's going to help lay the track. Planning to go with Atlas Code 83 stuff, it's affordable, and easy to get.
Ok, I understand now. I think that is a wise decision. Atlas has many 4x8 plans on their site as well as several books specifically designed for their track. Many local public libraries carry these books so you don't necessarily have to buy one.

Back