track plan wiring

topgun

Need some help and advice from the experts: I have attached a track plan that I am planning on building shortly - I have about 8 locos that are not DCC, so I will be using DC - I would like to use 4, MRC Tech 7 power packs to run approx. 4 locos at a time - any advice or comments on how I can wire
the 4 Tech 7's with Atlas selectors ? - I am looking at 12 or 16 blocks

09151ts.gif

I have attached a track plan that I am planning on building shortly - I have about 8 locos that are not DCC, so I will be using DC - I would like to use 4, MRC Tech 7 power packs to run approx. 4 locos at a time - any advice or comments on how I can wire the 4 Tech 7's with Atlas selectors ? - I am looking at 12 or 16 blocks
You can't use Atlas selectors. At least not like you are thinking. They only work with two power packs. To use the Atlas with four power packs you would have to use three for each block. One selector to choose between power packs A or B another to select between power pack C or D. Then another selector select whether the A-B set or C-D set gets to control the track.

What you really need to do this is SP4T switches or 4 position rotary switches.

And I see at least 19 blocks in there, more like 27 to do it right.

I suppose you could hook a certain power pack to a certain loop and then turn them both off and push a loco from one block to the next and then re-fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a newbie at model railroading, but I have a lot of electrical knowledge... So, when I read over your question, and Iron Horseman's response, I can't help but think that it might be easier to purchase 8 $20 DCC controllers and make your DC locos DCC. I will only back that up by saying I used to run DC many years ago, and now I have some DCC, and to me it just does not make sense to run DC (unless you said you have 30 DC locos, or your track was already blocked for example). It sure seems like you end up doing a lot of manual switching, but it is to keep the trains in the blocks, and has nothing to do with prototypical operations.

I may also be biased as I was reading over a MRR magazine article on all of the reasons to stop doing DC if you only have a few DC locos, but when I think of the advantages of DCC (in terms of wiring, ease of use, the elemination of blocks and block switching) it is a reasonable argument, and perhaps something you should consider.

Just my newbie thoughts.

May I bookmark this thread for future reference, so that when someone asks whether they should go DCC instead of DC, I can show them this?

My first layout 25 years ago was very similar to yours.
It was DC. I could wire it up OK. The cost was pretty high even then.
I never could run it right because I could never get to a switch fast enough.
My youngest son was the only one that could run it and keep it running.

Now I am DCC. Every easy to operate. I even automated my layout and still the wiring is easier than wiring for DC.
It may not be cheaper but a lot easier.

I was afraid you would say that - guess i'll go dcc - what do you think about the digitrax super empire builder xtra ? - thanx for your input

The DCS100 is better than the DB150. Yes they can handle the same amperage, but with the DCS100, you can read back CV's for programming. The DB150 cannot.

start by making a layout schematic. Such as the example in the link. http://www.trainweb.org/cbw/maps/layout_schematic.jpg

this will show you where you will need to have separate blocks. It may help you eliminate a few of the redundant routes you may have.

I you can certainly wire the layout for dc. depending on how complex you want to get. If you want the trains to chase each other you will need more blocks than if you just want to run trains independently on the four separate loops you have.

With the layout you have there I would also recommend DCC.
Steve

Back