Track inquery

Gac66610

I have noticed several different track manufactures, is any 'better' than others, or is this like asking whats better Chevy, Ford, Dodge?

What is the difference between code 83, and code 100? (others if applicable)

I'm going to be using HO scale, if theme or time periods matter, I have yet to decide.

Thanks,
Greg

The difference between code 100 and code 83 rail is seventeen thousandths of an inch or .017". Code 100 is one hundred thousandths or .100". Code 83 is eighty thousandths od an inch or .083".

Thanks for that.
Is there a preference between the two?
I guess the better question would be, which would be better for newcomers?

Well, that would depend on how you want your pictures to look. Code 83 looks pretty good in pictures of modern era rolling stock. If you are going to be running primarily older era stuff and and earlier era setting, you might consider code 55 rail.
If you just want to get track nailed down and run trains you may as well just go with code 100. It's more readily available.

If you're more interested in reliability, cost effectiveness, and possibly availability of track pieces, you might find code 100 more suiting.

The other two smaller weight rail sizes are much closer to accurate scale.

Also code 83 has brown and is more realistic than code 100 which is black RR ties, code 100 has a little more give for cheaper tyco cars. ( I personally run code 83) my RR club runs code 100 though for modules

As far as Manufacturers go Atlas is pretty good, lots of variety in both 83 and 100.
Most all brands match up if there's one thing you like that another doesn't have.
And by the way... it's Ford. :D

Code 83 and code 100 would be your best bet. I have code 70 track on my layout which I think really looks great BUT now I am in trouble. I started by handlaying using a Kadee spike gun. I won't go into much detail about it except that it is now broken beyond getting repaired and I am now having to try to find code 70 track and turnouts. There are only 2 manufacturers making the track commercially, Micro Engineering and Walthers (Shinohara). Both manufacture great track but the sticker price, especially the ME has just about shorted out my pacemaker. I figured it cost me less than a buck to hand lay a turnout when you count the bulk code 70 rail and ties. I could also hand lay complex double crossovers and curved switches in place exactly where I needed them for a fraction of the cost of manufactured switches.I then look at the price of manufactured switches running in the $25 per turnout (on average for code 70) and it really makes one think real hard.

Definitely stick with either code 83, or even code 100 because it is readily available and the prices are not near as expensive. There are a number of manufacturers, Atlas, Peco, Walthers (Shinohara), Micro Egineering and also EZ track by Bachman I believe. Whatever brand you get, make sure that you get nickel silver rail.

Back