Thinking about changing scales

malletman

Alcohaulic
I am thinking about changing scales, one to better compliment my 1:64th collection of IH tractors, easier to see and I think I can do what I want better in S scale. American models has the 2 locomotive models I need. I would like to model the local shortline as I remember it back around 1990. Motive power would be 2 low nose GP9's without dynamics and 2 SW9's. Paint scheme is simple, black upper body, reflective red strip, then implment tan lower body down to the catwalks with black fuel tanks and trucks. I would do all engines with DCC/sound and working strobe lights as the original locomotives had. The SW's had dual Amber strobe lights, independant lamps so no fixed pattern between the two and both were double pulse strobes. Talk about a light show at night! The GP9s were a bit different, one had a lower profile double flash amber strobe, and the other had a single pulse clear strobe. One GP9 had torpedo tubes as she was an ex Katy unit set up for passenger service. I hope to have Josh B here on the site handle the locomotive detailing and painting if he can. Custom decals would have to be made and each engine would need details changed and added. I would model the Kokomo IN to Marion segment with the small rural grainerys to be switched. Grain with a little mixed freight would be the normal trains pulled. Ertl has all the farm country series building kits that make farm modeling so much easier, with a little painting and weathering, they become much more than a childs toy. While I dont have the room to model the whole length of the route from Kokomo, IN to Marion, IN, but I would simulate the large Kokomo Grain complex where the 80+ car unit trains originate from, and probably the Vermont, IN rural grainery/Co-op siding. Just in the pricing phase right now, need to see what its gonna cost to get Josh to modify and paint the engines. I can get custom decals made for the grain cars as probably 90% of the grain cars back then were all Staley cars, mainly smooth side with a few rib side grain cars mixed in. If I wanted to go a bit further with it, the shorline borrowed to F units from the Indiana Transportation Museum for a couple of years, both are ex Milw units, F7A number 83A and FP7A 96. Both in the Monon Cream and Crimson colors. Only down side is the cost of the models. Now if I could get my stuff sold, like my Marklin layout and a few of my HO models. Here are some pics of the power for the line I want to model. MIke
CERA201201203-90.jpg

CERA201751-2.jpg

CERA201750.jpg

I kinda like S scale. I am custom building 4 CN cabooses in S scale now for someone up in Canada. I really like the size of it and would consider doing something in that scale someday. However, with over 100 engines in HO scale, switching scales is not an option for me.

My other option and one that probably better fits my financial relm is to model a small ag based branch line on the CP Rail system. I love the Golden Beaver paint scheme and American models makes a GP35 that would look good painted that way. I wish AM or S Helper Service would produce a GP38-2, maybe one day! For now its just arm chair modeling and dreaming. I have the toy like Ertl Farm Country RR set and I stripped and repainted the engine to CP Rail using HO scale decals, doesnt look to bad. I will get pics once I get it done. I am working how to do handrails on it, adding hand rails will help loose the toy like feel to it. Mike

I think the most i might do in S scale would make something for a display case or something like that. I barely have room for what i have now. I look forward to seeing your photos of what ever you have done!

The GP9s were a bit different, one had a lower profile double flash amber strobe, and the other had a single pulse clear strobe. One GP9 had torpedo tubes as she was an ex Katy unit set up for passenger service.
That second one is a GP9m. One can tell by the funny square over-the-hood vents behind the cab. I see it also has a cold weather hatch over the out most roof vents.

The trailing unit in the one pic is actualy a GP10 off the Burlington Northern, that a Horst "ox yoke" style air filter box for the intake air. The 1750 and 1751 are both GP7u's by defination. Both are ex MTK units. One of the 1200's is ex PRR, dont remember which one, have to really look at the pics to see the red Bullseye marker lights since they are so small. Cant tell which GP10 that is, they had 2 of them. Ex BN 1410 and 1416. I have the flasher beacon and one of the glass number boards from the 1410. Cheers Mike

Back