The Union Pacific Soggy Bottoms Subdivision (HO scale)

My turnouts arrived! :)
I got the first row of cork tiles installed. I ran out of paint :( so I need to get some more.
I took a good long look at the way I had planned to lay out the yard, and decided it needed to be redone. Basically, I moved the classification tracks from the south end of the yard to the north end. I also rearranged some turnouts. I did this to make it more efficient for the yard switcher to pull cars from the arrival track (I also made separate arrival and departure tracks). This layout will also make it more efficient to stage cars on the departure track.
I thought I had more new flex track, but I guess I'm out, so some old ratty Atlas track is doing stand-in duty in these pics. I also need to get a Peco code 100 double slip, more on that later.
Here's a pic of the north end of the yard. The tracks are, from the top, the outer main, the inner main, the departure track, the arrival track, and classification tracks 1 through 4.
North Yard.jpg

(Sorry about the text font being so light. I changed it in the following pics.) The double slip (here represented by a couple of turnouts) will enable an incoming locomotive to cut off from his train and transit to the locomotive service tracks. If the train is only stopping to change power, it will stop on the departure track. The locomotive can still cut off, and the new locomotive can back off the service track, through the double slip, and hook onto the train. The train can then head out on the main. The yard switcher can use the double slip to access both the arrival and departure tracks to break down a train and build up a new one. The drill track, not shown, will simply extend off to the right from the end of the yard ladder.

Here's a pic of the middle of the yard. Not much there, yet.
center yard.jpg

And a pic of the south end of the yard. An incoming train will use the turnout on the left to enter either the arrival or departure track, depending on what it's doing. If it's just a power swap it will go on the departure track. If the train is terminating here, it will go on the arrival track. The diverging route of the second turnout will lead to the caboose track. The two turnouts forming a crossover will allow the switcher to get a caboose from the caboose track, then back it onto the departure track without having to get onto the main line.
That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
south yard.jpg

The space in the foreground will be used for things like a RIP track, shop, and I think I'll put the icing platform down there somewhere as well. Things are subject to change, you know how that goes.
I don't plan to run super long trains, maybe 6 to 6-1/2 feet in length. Although I am curious as to how many cars my Athearn Genesis Big Boy can pull up that 2% grade on a curve..... I'll be sure to post a video when that experiment happens.

You really have gotten a lot done . I’ve been wanting to run a electrical wall switch to my command station for a long time, the best I could figure out was a toggle from the dc accessories output to my ds64’s power buss. On a layout about 3 back I had decline that started behind a hill and followed the perimeter along the wall and went for a good 20* to a staging yard 2 percent grade.

I've been laying down the cork tiles. They're 12" x 12" tiles.
100_0874.JPG

100_0875.JPG

The white you see is spackling paste. Due to the mainline not being plumb-line straight, some of the edges didn't match up perfectly. I filled the larger gaps, and smoothed the paste with a (gloved) finger dipped in water. I'll let the paste dry overnight.
Tomorrow I'll use my 24" flat sanding bar, made from 2 pieces of aluminum angle riveted back to back, and sand down the spackling paste and a few high spots in the cork tiles.
100_0877.JPG

I'm going to paint the cork tiles with a tan/beige color, Dusty Trail by name. I bought a gallon of Lucite paint at Menards, cost me $16. That's good, cheap paint for scenery purposes! Also in the pic is my sanding bar (being interested in RC planes (though not currently very active)) does have it's advantages.
100_0878.JPG

I plan to trim the cork back about 1/2" from the inset 2 x 2 the hinge is screwed to. That will leave plenty of room for the control panel swing vertically and not hit the cork.
I also had a pleasant surprise today: the post office delivered my Peco SL90 double slip today! Today is a federal holiday, the post offices are closed. It wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow!
Ernest confused (small).jpg

If I hadn't gotten on Midwest Model Railroad's website and checked on the status of the order, I never would have know that the post office dropped it outside my front door! But it's mine, all mine, now!
Once I get the cork painted I can start laying the turnouts for the yard.

Last edited:
I've been laying down the cork tiles. They're 12" x 12" tiles.
View attachment 160072

View attachment 160073

The white you see is spackling paste. Due to the mainline not being plumb-line straight, some of the edges didn't match up perfectly. I filled the larger gaps, and smoothed the paste with a (gloved) finger dipped in water. I'll let the paste dry overnight.
Tomorrow I'll use my 24" flat sanding bar, made from 2 pieces of aluminum angle riveted back to back, and sand down the spackling paste and a few high spots in the cork tiles.
View attachment 160074

I'm going to paint the cork tiles with a tan/beige color, Dusty Trail by name. I bought a gallon of Lucite paint at Menards, cost me $16. That's good, cheap paint for scenery purposes! Also in the pic is my sanding bar (being interested in RC planes (though not currently very active)) does have it's advantages.
View attachment 160075

I plan to trim the cork back about 1/2" from the inset 2 x 2 the hinge is screwed to. That will leave plenty of room for the control panel swing vertically and not hit the cork.
I also had a pleasant surprise today: the post office delivered my Peco SL90 double slip today! Today is a federal holiday, the post offices are closed. It wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow!
View attachment 160080

If I hadn't gotten on Midwest Model Railroad's website and checked on the status of the order, I never would have know that the post office dropped it outside my front door! But it's mine, all mine, now!
Once I get the cork painted I can start laying the turnouts for the yard.
Looks good.

I got a coat of paint down on the cork tiles. Originally I was planning to do 2 coats, but I kind of like the texture of the cork with just one coat. I'm afraid if I give them another coat it will hide the texture, so I think I'll just do one coat.
100_0880.JPG

I would not recommend putting the contents of that syrup bottle on your morning pancakes. It's Titebond wood glue, and there's not enough All-Bran in the world to help you then!
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Oh, Pooh.
Eeyore.jpg

Me benchwork be 'umped!
I started laying out the track work for the yard and discovered a bit of an anomaly. The pen is laying on the turnout at the throw bar. The turnout frog is to the left in this pic.
100_0881.JPG

The camera angle makes it look more severe than it actually is. The turnout itself is on flat ground, so I don't think this will present to much of an issue, but I'd prefer it be flat all the way across. Trains won't be coming across here at 90 miles per hour, either. I guess I'll continue and see how it goes. If I have to come back and rework this spot I will.
This is L-girder benchwork, so this isn't supposed to happen! But it did.

I was just dealing with a similar problem on my layout coming off a bridge with a slight incline...of course a slight decline coming off the bridge that I had to grade down....! The darn transitions.... ;) Like how your layout is looking! (UP and GN layout here ;) )

Wow that does look severe with that angle!
Normally I’d sand down the peak of the hump in this situation but I’ve also built up the roadbed at times which I think you could here.
Try a series of small shims to the right of the turnout to lesson the hump.

Just a note… when I worked for one of the short lines here there was a guy on the tamper who lifted the track way too high as he was going. By the time it was noticed it was a few feet over a distance. The solution was to dump ballast past that point and slowly bring it back down, like the shim idea.
To this day there’s a grade to nowhere up and back down on that spot! 😆

About the bump, the underlying wood will expand/contract some with changes in humidity. A good reason to leave a few expansion joints where wood butts up against anything, or track for that matter. Not sure how the cork is going to react, whether it is more stable or if that will soak up or shed moisture as well

Dave LASM

About the bump, the underlying wood will expand/contract some with changes in humidity. A good reason to leave a few expansion joints where wood butts up against anything, or track for that matter. Not sure how the cork is going to react, whether it is more stable or if that will soak up or shed moisture as well

Dave LASM
Yeah I learned that the hard way...gaps every 4 ft or so for me...otherwise...yikes... yeah...it was ugly...

Only 3-1/2 months since my last post here. That's not TOO bad, I guess. :oops:
I've been working on the layout when I could get the time, which hasn't been too often lately. I've been busy with work and other things.
I finally got the the track down for the passenger station and the rest of the inner loop. I haven't tested it yet because I still need to install the feeders for those tracks. It's a little chilly down here today, and my knee is telling me there's a cold front moving in, so I really don't feel like getting under the layout today.
The file is pointing at the start of the "new" section of track I just laid down. It goes away from the camera around the curve
View attachment 138474

and to the turnout. I had laid the turnout earlier because I needed to know where to put the entrance for the yard. From that turnout the "new" section goes to the turnout farther down the line, by the bridge. If you look waaaay down the the track, you'll see the diverging route of a turnout facing the camera. That's where the yard will connect to the inner loop.
View attachment 138475
That pile of 1 x 2's is for the frame of the control panel i need to build. My plan is to inset a 2 x 2 into the edge of the layout, then use 1 x 2's on edge for the frame. The frame will get a sheet of 1/4" material, I haven't decided yet between plywood and tempered hardboard. I have a concern that the plywood could warp, although painting both sides would help that not happen. The control panel will be 8 feet long and 15" high, secured to the inset 2 x 2 with a piano hinge the whole 8 feet. I plan to build it so the bottom of the panel is farther out than the top, but will decide how far out when I build it.

And this is the passenger siding to the left of the mainline.
View attachment 138476

Tuesday through Thursday it's supposed to be in the 50's outside, so I'll probably get the feeders installed after work on those days, since by the time I get home there's not enough daylight left to really do anything outside.
Progress is slow, but it's gettin' there!
You know, that track on the grade, at the rear, you could put behind a view block, and extend it, around the entire room, so you can add a second level, and double the size of your layout without expanding into a larger foot print. If you go around the room, maybe twice or 3 times, you might get enough space to make it worth your while. I mean Nebraska is a big state, right?

I got the 2 turnouts in the left end of the yard installed. They are on the right in this pic.
I also laid the caboose track, and installed a Kadee between-the-rails uncoupling magnet. That will be 'disguised' as a grade crossing for the tower. The tower is from a box of unwanted structures I bought at a train show a few years ago. It's lit, but I don't know if the light works. Gonna have to check that one 'a these days.
100_0882.JPG

Between the turnout and the caboose track I installed a short length of 30" radius track I've had for a while. Don't remember where I got it. I put it in to angle the track away from the mainline, so the track could be longer. Had a little issue getting the hole for the frog wire in just the right spot. :oops:
That turnout, and as a result the rest of the yard, is electrically isolated from the main. Note the plastic rail joiners on 3 of the 4 rails. I did that because I eventually plan to divide the layout into 4 power districts: the 2 mains will be one district, the yard another, the north industrial area the 3rd, and the south industrial area the 4th. I also left a 1/16" gap between the turnout and caboose track for an expansion joint
100_0883.JPG

This is the turnout leading into the yard itself. The track coming off the straight route is the departure track, the track coming off the diverging route is the arrival track.
100_0884.JPG

I really need to get started on the control panel. The 3 turnouts in the first pic have their Tortoise switch machines installed, but they're not wired up yet.
Gotta get at that.

The yard is looking good, I’ve done that technique in the past , busy a length of cork from the hardware store , I think I painted it black. The heaving you got is strange , I’ve only had that issue once but it was only the flex track and then learned about leaving slight gaps in straight aways. I’ve often found that a short straight length of a turn out makes the rest come together much easier. Although all my tortoise switch machines are installed I still have to add the throw wire to three of the machines and don’t ask me why , all my machines I used a heavier wire and when I install the wire I will install from the top and cut to length.

Thanks, Lynn! I appreciate it!
I have to use a heavier wire than what Circuitron supplied, as well. I'm using .047" wire. I think if a Tortoise has to be installed after the turnout is already in place that feeding the wire down from above would be much easier than trying to poke it into the throw-bar from below! Especially for us old guys!
I forgot to mention that the turnout coming off the main and the one for the caboose track will both be controlled by the same switch. That way there's no possibility of a train coming off the main to run into a point set against it.

Back