The Olympic Games ...

Hey Louis,

Then line them up against a team of Aussie footballers and tell em to take all their padding and protection off ... :)

First time I ever saw an Aussie rules football game, about 40 years ago,I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I just sat there watching with my mouth hanging open in stunned disbelief....roughest game I have ever seen, made American football look like a childs game.

First time I ever saw an Aussie rules football game, about 40 years ago,I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I just sat there watching with my mouth hanging open in stunned disbelief....roughest game I have ever seen, made American football look like a childs game.

I bet if you watched that while in female company, she or they were more fascinated by the sleeveless shirts and skimpy shorts.

Gene,

After growing up with American football and accepting that as being a hard tough game, watching a game of Aussie Rules would certainly be an eye opener. No padding, no body protection, you deal with the hits/tackles as they come and you don't see most of them coming, speaking from experience.

I'm not saying that grid iron players aren't a pretty tough bunch, but I wonder how many of them would last getting hit the way some do and the way Aussie rules players do, if they didn't wear the padding etc.

I think the only game that is tougher so far as football is concerned is rugby.

I like AFL (Aussie Rules) it when they use the opposing player as a ladder.

images

Watch an NFL game and see what 300+lbs. men do to each other in the trenches. God help the little guys (wide receivers, quarterbacks, running backs etc.,) when the big boys blind side them running at full speed. It's simple physics; mass in motion.

I have been following the Tigers in the AFL, they are tough SOBs, but 300+lbs. that can run 40 yards in under 5 seconds is super human.

If those AFL or rugby players could make it in the NFL they would because the NFL pays millions. So far only a few kickers/punters have made it.

The average career for NFL players is 4 years. There is no game tougher than the NFL. Almost every NFL player that plays more than 4 years is crippled, disfigured or at least permanently injured for life. They earn every dollar.

NRL (Rugby League) shoulder charge tackle. The player on the left was running forward, he did have the ball. Whether he's watching it fly out of his hands or counting the rings around Saturn is uncertain.

NRL (Rugby League) shoulder charge tackle. The player on the left was running forward, he did have the ball. Whether he's watching it fly out of his hands or counting the rings around Saturn is uncertain.

I'll be you the guy is watching the ball! They are gamers and they never give up.

Imagine if the guy laying the wood was 300lbs.

Yes, leg and joint injuries are pretty common to all "contact" sports. Rugby Union players consider Rugby League to be for sissys at least in the different tackling rules. In RL, once tackled (although there can be several of the opposition involved onto 1 player) they cannot be held down for too long, or a penalty can be awarded.

In RU they have a "Ruck", where players from both sides will pile on top of the "unfortunate", while one or more standing above are trying to relieve him of the ball with their boots, the others who are squirming about are also doing whatever they can to either attack or protect him. All the while, the tackled player is trying to get his arms and the ball out from under the seething mass, so he can pass the ball back to another team member to grab. Usually all finishes up in another manoeuvre called a "Scrum". Definitely places for a good de-odorant.

G'day all...I'm a long term sufferer and I do mean that literally Richmond Tigers fan in the AFL..I can remember their last premiership (equivalent of Superbowl) in 1980..yep , 36 long long years ago..we played off as favourites in 1982 but lost...The single toughest thing about our game is not the hits , it's the crazy fitness levels..the aerobic fitness levels required are ridiculous..Unlike American Football and Rugby Union or League or even Soccer for that matter..the pace of the game for 100 minutes or more is relentless due to the frantic nature of it and no offside or less set plays as in other football formats Closest game really is Gaelic football .Only the top of the tree fittest teams can see out a game..Exhaustion is genuine and why so many players suffer ligament , muscle and tendon injuries , then of course broken bones and concussions from hits..Freakish goals and spectacular marks are always a highlight as is the high scoring but a great defensive side that control games are a huge part of success..Sadly my Tigers won't make finals again this year but we live in hope..some say every year that passes is a year closer to the next AFL Premiership Flag..Mmmm.. For our American friends on AFL..Nearly every city in the U.S. now has an Aussie Rules team playing in the ever growing USAFL competition..This game is tailor made for so many great ex college footballers/basketballers etc that want to continue in team sports ..Check out the USAFL on the internet and you'll see what I mean.. Also this year the Collingwood Magpies debuted a born and bred U.S. player called Mason Cox from Texas..He played in the massive ANZAC Day game and has played most games since..and is the first genuine long term prospect to pioneer US born players..Another player that played a couple of games for St Kilda Saints is Jason Holmes but he's fallen off the radar a bit like Jarryd Hayne did from Rugby League in the NFL..Oh yes a fellow called Mike Pyke from Canada played for Sydney and in 2012 became the first North American to win a Premiership with an AFL club..He retired this year..All football are great games , unfair to compare actually..enjoy them all..I look out for the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL too...thanks to Louis...Cheers Rod..

I used to really enjoy watching it years back, but it's too inconvenient to watch it anymore. Sadly, what has dominated the Olympics this year is Zika virus, how unsafe it is in Rio and most recently the big Lochte fiasco where the he got drunk, vandalized a gas station and lied about it to make it looked like he and his mates were robbed by criminals posing a vigilante police. He went on like a spoils teenager. Here, read this opinion article which says it like it is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...3d9bdc-6540-11e6-96c0-37533479f3f5_story.html

Darn ... now there is a guy for everyone to be "proud of"! NOT! Have no idea who he is as a person, other than a swimmer - well whopty do for him, but even if half of what was reported is true he needs to banned from life from representing the US in any capacity at any level. And, if the US (or any country whose "athletes acting similarly) wont do that, the Olympic Committee should.

These athletes should be kept under a much tighter reign. They are NOT in the Olympics representing themselves, they are representing their country and should act and behave accordingly. Those who can't, or don't, should be dealt with as above, regardless of who they are, who they think they are or who their countries think they are. Fortunately, these sorts of "things" are rare, or at least are seldom made public.

This does raise a seemingly inherent problem though ... how "so called" celebrities (including sports persons, actors, singers and the like) seem to think they can get away with anything and not be held accountable. Unfortunately, when these individuals do do something that warrants police action/prosecution, such as this idiot, the courts appear to pander to their "fame" and place that in higher esteem than the reason they are before the court in the first place. That sets a great example and could explain why these egotistical, attention seeking idiots get away with stunts such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an idea; line up 11 premier league soccer players and 11 NFL players. Let them play 30 minutes of American football, then play 30 minutes of soccer. I bet the American football players win both halves, if any of the soccer players are left to play the second half that is :)
Then you could try that same scenario with Rugby players and American Football players.

edit - Ha! I hadn't read the rest of the thread when I responded to this.

I wasn't interested in sports in high school, but for some reason went out for track the senior year. Did really well. Then in undergraduate college I needed another PE credit so I signed up for rowing crew. I thought it was a class and was soon informed that it was the varsity crew team. They talked me into staying on. I did really well and even took bronze in the light weight 4 at the Dad Vale.

I wouldn't have seen any of the Olympics except that was what is on every TV in the hospital where my wife is. The things I remember seeing were the first round of steeple chase, some of the women's diving, some of the synchronized swimming, and the men's 400 yard relay final. While I like horse riding and all, I'm not certain I can classify it as a sport like the other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
comment2: The atmosphere may have already been more uncanny, the scenarios could have been more suspenseful, the storyline could have been blacker and the story might have been more mystifying. valtrex 1 Truly, the film variant is a hit, because the compellingly plot, one that transcends centuries, was kept in tact, in agreement with the strong mega hit opera that preceded the film. It was one of those shows where you're sitting there wondering when it put us out of out distress and may possibly stop... ciprofloxacin used for xenical where to buy symbicort and copd cephalexin 500mg side effects rash Straight-laced FBI Agent Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) is gunning for a promotion, so she takes an assignment to bring down a Bostonian drug lord, Larkin (Taran Killam). dosage for valtrex for shingles Possibly it was my high hopes with all the team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but this 1 just never engaged. Whether its coping together with his fury or participating into his fresh career as a author, James is captivatingly entertaining to look at, as is Maggie - rigid, but yet emanating with heat. xenical diet pills for sale cost of cephalexin dosage of gabapentin symbicort inhaler cost

Ahh okay but this relates to the Olympic Games in what way? Think you may have posted this unintentionally in the wrong thread :)

Ahh okay but this relates to the Olympic Games in what way? Think you may have posted this unintentionally in the wrong thread :)
G'day Tony..Yep , you're right but Olympics led to sport and invariably to footy..Olympics over now til Tokyo so I suppose it'll get talked about then..Good thread though..Cheers Rod.

Rodney,

Jut couldn't see what a film had to do with the Olympics/Sport; anyway, as you said - the Olympics are over and everything can get back to normal, unless you are like me and never saw (or cared about to be honest) a single second of the games. With that, no reason the thread can't continue, people willing, but on "sport" in general.

Tony - All of the posts by FredPI were deleted by Willis. He posted the same gibberish in at least 10-12 other threads.

Willie

Back