The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ken!
Tried to Skype you but your off line. We'll try again later. Weekends are high end computer usage and I don't have Carte Blanche. I'll be looking at getting the second pewter up and running and hopefully I'll be able to get a wireless headset. Lisa is amazed I can sit and talk as I normally walk around when I'm on the cordless phone.

Steve: Nice talking to you! We'll chat again.

Ken: We'll have to enlist a few others. I'll start with Bob.

Later All

Fergie

Hi gang!

Skypers, here is something I figured you all might find useful - a link showing different time zones around the globe:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?&sort=0

Steve, Sorry I wasn't at my 'puter when you tried to skype me, I looked for you a few times between 2:00-2:15pm and then my teenager just had to get back on AIM to finalize her plans with her friends for tonight...oh well...:( (see Fergie's explanation above, similar situation here)

KenNZ - thanx for the message, I've got you in my skype contact list now, may try calling you later!

Fergmiester said:
Steve: Nice talking to you! We'll chat again.
Ken: We'll have to enlist a few others. I'll start with Bob.
Fergie, I see you've made contact with Steve [and maybe a few others by now?]. That would be great if you could bring Bob into the fold...

Well gents if you'll excuse me, I have to get to the hardware store before it closes, today is the last day of the 25%-off sale and I need more latex for the 'Belt...ciao!

OK boys! I am now one of the gang. I have bought the headset KenL uses and have downloaded the Skype...tested... and ready to roll.

Now the question: How the heck do I know who you are? I did a search on general names you use and didn't do any good.

Had a great talk with Fergie and NZKen on Skype.

Fergie/NZKen: I tried to change my skype name by uninstalling the software and changing it that way. Would you believe that Rexhea was already used...several times. So anyway, my Skype name is rexbama. Anyone that forgets that can search Rexhea with my city/state.

Night all!

I have to say the quality of the transmission is very good. Lisa looked at me after getting off line with Rex and said "get that second computer up and running and do yourself a favour, get a wireless headset!"

Well it's sunny and cold so I'll take Dad for a drive this morning and work under the layout today and hook up more of the Turnout control rods... I hope

Later

Fergie

Fergmiester said:
I have to say the quality of the transmission is very good. Lisa looked at me after getting off line with Rex and said "get that second computer up and running and do yourself a favour, get a wireless headset!"
Fergie, I can see that the '2nd computer' option is the only way I'll be able to do skyping regularly. I have a clunker in the basement that still has Windows ME (you know, "Malicious Experiment") on it - maybe if I can connect it to the router and use it ONLY for skype it won't be a problem. At any rate, there are currently 4 other people in my household fighting over the skype-puter... which explains my frequent absence.:(

Rex - Glad you could join us. Maybe one of these days I can actually get on and chat with you! BTW were you talking with KenNZ and Fergie individually, or on a conference-call? Steve said he figured out how to use that feature...

Later y'all!

We conferenced and it worked very well except for the fact that we don't know who's going to talk next or we get long pauses waiting for someone to interject. I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually. The down side is the crank calls. I got three yesterday but was able to add them to the "ignore" list. Hard to talk to someone who's talking Chinese or Arabic or laughing at you!!!

What we are doing is putting the "Do not disturb" option up when the kids are gaming as I don't want them to be exposed to some of the wierdos out there.

Anyway I think I'll haul the second one apart this morning.

Later All

Fergie

I got post 1500 on page 150, that's uncanny. nice to chat woth you Fergie
Had a chat today on Skype with Rex and Ken L today, nice to talk to you guy's,
We will have to try a four way conferance call, should be fun.

That's weird feeling waiting for the other guys to speak, then all saying something at the same time!!

Nice talking to you Fergie/ Rex catch up again soon.

I'm on hard labour this week, took a week off work so I can help my Bro-in-law. I've be driving the dump truck while the other guys load me up with the digger, sounds like a blast. This morning (I'm on lunch break) I was in the ditch laying plastic warning tape over phone/power cables, man I've been weathered, I'm a couple shades darker than when I got up this am.

C.U.L Or talk 2 u.l

Ken.

Well today was a bonus day. Got several turnouts rigged and the second pewter is running. All that is left to do is get a wireless router and a wireless headset (depending on fund availability)

Fired an e-mail to Bob last night and hopefully he'll pick up on it. Then again the man works at a call centre... Do ya think he wants to come home and strap on another headset and gab some more?

Yeh, It's Bob and I'm sure he'd give the energizer bunny a run for the money!

Later all

Fergie

Happy Monday and hope all of you will have a great week ahead of you. Yes, the Skype conversations were fun . To think of talking to someone that is so far away using a home computer with free software and have excellent quality is incredible.
The conference calls are a bit confusing as who talks when, but I remember the same problem when I was still working and trying to tie-in several around the State for a conference. Usually, the person initiating the call becomes the facilitator and kind-of directs traffic. Otherwise we all end up sounding like encrypted jabber. But...hey...we're model railroaders...what do you expect:D :D

Well, I think it's time to head out to the Depot; it should be warm enough now. We are having a day in the upper 30's to low 40's and a drizzling rain. Brrrrr!

Thanks again guys for the Skype fun. I really enjoyed the personal touch and learning more about everyone. Have you noticed how interesting most modelers are? Steve, that was so cute for your little one to tell me "good night". Does he realize how far away that I am?

NEXT: Put your clothes on:eek: 'cause VIDEO is coming to town.

Grunt! Wireless!?! more like Fruitless. Hooked up the transmitter and Nothing, No connection, Nada!! Called Tech Support for the manufacturer, on hold for 15 minutes then I got a message to leave a message and someone would return my call. That was 45 minutes ago. I'm real impressed, Oh how I am so real impressed...

Talked to Bob last night and he's keen on Skype, so is Ed from Mexico. So not all is lost. Anyway I'm going to read the instructions for the 3rd (and final ) time and see where I land up. I think I'm looking at the next ship's anchor!

Later All
Fergie

Evening all, this is my PC so access to it is not a problem,,,WRONG the children have now decided it's there's to play games on. Ken M sounds like you had a fun day in the dirt as well, i have been building a block wall in the single story bit of the extension, the wind's been howling through picking up all the dust and generally re locating it in my face.
Fergie sounds like the customer services that Ken Larson had to deal with last week, hope you get it sorted out, i can't stand these new helplines that have you waiting an eternity.

Should be great to get Bob and Ed all Skyped up.
TTFN

Last edited by a moderator:
Fergie, the reason it is taking so long with the helpline is it takes time to reach someone in India.
Indian_Guru.gif

RexHea said:
Fergie, the reason it is taking so long with the helpline is it takes time to reach someone in India.
Indian_Guru.gif

Unfortunately NOT! try Toronto, The centre of the Canadian Universe. I'm not a cmputer person foe the simple reason "hammer" technology is lost on them:(

I got through to them a second time at about 5pm as the first attempt after I finally got through to them worked... well until he hung up and the config locked up five minutes later. The person on the other end (probably some poor University kid majoring in the arts) tried to walk me through it and finally said I will have a "Level II Technican" call you. I'm still way-t-i-n-g. Anyway I went down to the layout and worked on the turnout hook ups and let the good ol' subconcious work on it. And realized I should try pushing the reset button through the pin hole.

Well guess what that was the missing part of the equation. I've now got a router, which only took me 5 hours to hook up and I suspect I'll get a call at 2 this morning offering me Tech support!:mad: Now to hook up the wireless reciever on puter 2:confused: That should take me all day tomorrow:eek:

This manual push/pull rod thing is harder than I thought and have part of the first two switches hooked up. I'll finish it tomorrow at which time I'll decide if it's worth doing the other 5 sets this way.

Later all

Fergie

Darn! I didn't know this placed closed on Tuesdays. Guess I will have to come back tomorrow. That's ok though; I was just going to say that I visited Cjcrescent today and enjoyed a tour of the area and got to meet some nice folks at his hobby shop. I haven't been in downtown B'ham in many years. It certainly doesn't take long for a city to change and from what I saw...to the better with lots of new buildings going up.
CU tomorrow.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man 12 hours of "work" a day wear you out even if you don't do anything the whole time!

So after some what of a break i have a few pics fo you all, check out my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back