The Blackwing and Western is coming back to life

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
Finally got a 2' x 8' section built and some track laid out. It's a start and something to do some switching and scenicking on until I get the basement cleared out some more.

track11.jpg

Got all the feeders soldered on and wired it all up.

wire2.jpg

Then I ran the first train into town and did some switching. It's a bit challenging to switch, but it works okay.

switching.jpg

The turnouts are all hand built using the Fast Tracks system. They all turned out pretty well. I need to run a few more locomotives and cars through them to make sure everything is all good.

turnouts.jpg

The frogs are fully insulated and powered using Tam Valley Frog Juicers. This is the first time I've used Frog Juicers and they seem to 'just work'.

Wow, look at all them handlaid turnouts!! :p I use the same system and have used several of them on consecutive layouts. They are durable and work really well if built to the correct tolerances. In fact, I have built custom turnouts on each of the last two layouts, critical ones meant for a wye-split, but at track speed. I tested mine with numerous locomotives, trailing and shoving, passenger and freight, forwards and backwards, but always at speed. I mean 90 scale mph! If I couldn't back my Niagara and six heavyweights through those turnouts at 70+, it had to be fixed. I'm pleased to say that both turnouts performed like champs, and as a result, so did all them speedy consists. :cool:

Nice job so far, twforeman.

Moved the layout down to the basement last night and put it on some legs.
base1.jpg

Also added the extension to give it a fiddle yard.

base2.jpg

Eventually all the stuff on the shelves in the background will be dealt with and go away. Then the shelves will come out and the layout will go along the wall.

Just have to deal with a lot of stuff.

Back