The BGR (Bruette's Goofy Railroad)

Have you insulated the Attic so you don't freeze in the winter and suffocate in the summer?
The attic is insulated, but not heated or cooled. I have two window AC units for the summer. Leaving the door leading to the attic steps open provides enough heat in the winter, for me at least.

When I was young, I used to say, "it's not cold until the temperature reaches single digits." Now my hands are cold and ache below fifty. The heat never bothered me either. Now I don't like anything above 80.

Louis - Same here on the temperature except, I still like the heat (below 100 anyway).

That "flex shaft" always has been the most used tool in my bag.
Now, you need to obtain a foot pedal so you can do more precise work with it.
I got mine from a sewing machine repair shop. :)

That "flex shaft" always has been the most used tool in my bag.
Ditto. My very first Dremel was the kind with the shaft on it. This was back when there wasn't such a thing as a shaft "add on". Anyway that flexible shaft (along with a variable speed tool) allowed me to do all sorts of things I didn't even appreciate until a few years ago and it wore out. They no longer make that model so I bought a "normal" Dremel. Yuck! How does anyone work well without the flex shaft and variable speed.

Ditto. My very first Dremel was the kind with the shaft on it. This was back when there wasn't such a thing as a shaft "add on". Anyway that flexible shaft (along with a variable speed tool) allowed me to do all sorts of things I didn't even appreciate until a few years ago and it wore out. They no longer make that model so I bought a "normal" Dremel. Yuck! How does anyone work well without the flex shaft and variable speed.
I was looking to buy a Dremel when I stumbled across the Wen at Home Depot.

I got the WEN 1.3 Amp Variable Speed Steady-Grip Rotary Tool with 190-Piece Accessory Kit, Flex Shaft and Carrying Case and the WEN Rotary Tool Accessory Kit with Carrying Case (320-Piece) for $50.82 tax and free shipping included!

The Dremel 200 Series 1.15 Amp Dual Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 15 Accessories and 1 Attachment was $49

My friend and one of my most trusted advisors told me he does a little bit a day on his layout when he can. An hour, sometimes two, when he is up to it. He suggested I do the same.

I thought that was a great idea. Much better than doing nothing. My days are usually full, but there are days I can spare at least a half hour.

My friend and one of my most trusted advisors told me he does a little bit a day on his layout when he can. An hour, sometimes two, when he is up to it. He suggested I do the same.

I thought that was a great idea. Much better than doing nothing. My days are usually full, but there are days I can spare at least a half hour.
That’s what I’m doing too. I devote at least 20-30 minutes a day to the hobby. Even if it’s as simple as cleaning or organizing things.

You would be amazed how quickly you can check tasks off your list. Work a half hour or so and if you feel like doing more then do it.

you will leave the train room with a sense of accomplishment and be motivated to tackle it again the next day without getting burned out.

I do my layout work a little at a time as well. Some days an hour, some up to three hours. Occasional rainy days get two sessions, in the morning and later in the afternoon. I might still not complete everything that I want to do even though it's all operational right now. Just completing scenery now.

That’s what I’m doing too. I devote at least 20-30 minutes a day to the hobby.
I do my layout work a little at a time as well. Some days an hour, some up to three hours.
Gentlemen, I'm committed to doing as you do. A little every day when I am up to it!

Today I started gathering the stuff for my Christmas Trains, Nativity, and Christmas Village I set up in the Family room. Last year I did not finish, and it bummed me out big time! I'm going to do better this year!

I'll get back to the BGR after Christmas is all set up with trains running.

Now I'm tired.

I'm excited to see your goofy railroad grow and expand, Louis, whether it's around your Christmas tree, or on something a bit more permanent! I definitely fear the day when doing too much physical labor at any one time will leave me out of commission for a month. I'm still in my 30s so I have time yet, but I know there will be a day. But seeing multiple scales on the same layout and doing what you want with the scenery is going to be such a cool, unique build! I'm sending positive vibes and energy your way!

I definitely fear the day when doing too much physical labor at any one time will leave me out of commission for a month. I'm still in my 30s so I have time yet, but I know there will be a day.
Be smarter than I was (that should be easy) and take diligent care of yourself now. I hope to be inspired by your fun layout for many years to come. I can't wait to unpack my Buggs Bunny convertible to show you. I know you will appreciate it as much as I do!

Little progress on my layout to report as I have been busy with Christmas. Gathering things for the Christmas trains has been beneficial for my layout. As I go through boxes in the attic/train room I have organized many things. Before I make any progress on building benchwork I will need to organize everything. Thanks to Christmas I have completed about 10%.

If you are interested in what I have been up to or have some Christmas photos or stories to share check out a thread I started Christmas Trees, Trains and More I assure you I will enjoy your contributions to the thread. At least I hope I will. ;)

Back